Any Good Indian Restaurants On Sukhumvit

goonerthegooner

Hiya,

Anyone tell me where there is a good/excellent Indian Restaurant on the Sukhumvit,round the Landmark/Nana area??.

Thanks in advance

Soi 3 , Akhbar. Very close to Landmark and Nana.

Has hands down been my favorite Indian restaurant over the last 13 years, and I've been to more than I can count. I even take my Indian work colleagues there for entertaining when they are in town and they all love it also.

There's a place om Soi 8 just before Soi 8 Pub. It's down the first little sub soi on the left. It's called Namiste or something. You can't miss it their sign boad is on Soi 8.

It was recomended to me and i ate there. It was very good with fairly simple interior and very reasonably priced

I went to a restaurant corner Sukhumvit/Soi 7 (I think, if not it is Soi 5) that, if not exceptional, was quite good.

The Indian place on the corner of Sukhumvit Road and Suk. Soi 11 (if I remember right) is called Bukhara's. It's a very popular place with both Indians and non-Indians. A few blocks down inside Sukhumvit 11/1 (thats just past the main Soi 11) is Dosa King. Dosa King is a vegetarian restaurant. I was leery the first time I went in there as I am an avowed meat eater, but even without the meat the Indian food there is delicious. I go back regularly now. There's another place called Shalimar Sharma's inside the little circle where Cheap Charlie's, Charlie Brown's and Suk 11 Clinic are located. Walk down Soi 11 and keep looking to the left you'll see the area I'm talking about (or just ask someone). Shalimar Sharma's is not the greatest Indian Restaurant around, but it isn't bad and what makes it stand out is that it is just across the little alley from Cheap Charlie's and they will deliver your food to you there. You can sit outside away from the traffic and enjoy your food with a beer or drink if you so fancy while shooting the bullshit with the very diverse and sometimes cosmopolitan group that hangs out at Cheap Charlie's in the early evening. A word of warning though, if you are from the UK and are looking for UK style Indian curry you will be disappointed. There have been a lot of other posts on this forum from Brits missing this type of Indian food but as of yet no entrepreneur has opened a restaurant of this style on lower Sukhumvit Road. Once someone does I think they'll do a terrific business judging from the amount of posts we have had on that subject.

Edited by Groongthep

There's a place om Soi 8 just before Soi 8 Pub. It's down the first little sub soi on the left. It's called Namiste or something. You can't miss it their sign boad is on Soi 8.

It was recomended to me and i ate there. It was very good with fairly simple interior and very reasonably priced

It's called Namushkar I think. I second this recommendation - the best Indian food I've found in Bangkok. Very reasonable prices too.

Not bad - if the food is as good as you say could be worth it. May check it out next time I feel like a posh night out...

I enjoyed the place too but I'm not an expert on Indian food. One thing that I thought was a good testiment to it was the clientel that it drew. When I went there, most of the other customers were obviously affluent Indians.

Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel (two entrances: Suk.18+20) ; fantastic, especially for Sunday brunches.

For me quite simply the best Indian restauarant in Bkk and ive tried a lot!!

I agree about Rang Mahal as the best in BKK, but for Sunday Brunch, the Tandoor at Holiday Inn on Silom offers food almost as good, maybe some curries better, at a much better price and also in posh surroundings. I don't bother going anywhere other than these two places in BKK, depending on what part of town you're in. Like you, I've tried them all, mostly.

It's called Namushkar I think. I second this recommendation - the best Indian food I've found in Bangkok. Very reasonable prices too.

Yup, Namuskaar. My favourite casual Indian too. Cool little alley too, reminds me of Saigon.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Mrs. Balbir's in soi 11/1. Used to be the most commonly recommended, and like almost all of the Indian in lower Suk, good. 'Hot Curry' was probably the worst, but cheapest too and still decent.

Akbar's on soi 3

Bukharas on Suk near cnr. soi 7

Namsukar in alley off soi 8

Buwachi on soi 11

Mrs. Balbirs on soi 11/1

Dosa King (veg) on soi 11/1

Great Punjab on soi 13 past Ambassador (pricy, and sure to close due to no customers. But good decor).

Himali Cha-Cha on soi 31

For ones I've never been too:

Rembrant Hotel (consistently voted best and most expensive).

There are also a pair lurking on soi 11 near cheap charlies (Mohgul?)

Another on Suk between soi 21 and 23 next to Pedro's

One cnr. soi 8

One cnr soi 12.

A 'low end' looking vegetarian one in the ally between soi 20 and soi 22 (L shaped leading to soi 22).

Thai food is the luxury in this area. I sometimes think it should be awarded the title of Little India due to the concentration of Indian restaurants and tailors. There is even a Malaysian Dhosa chain outlet whose name I forget in soi 20 IIRC (packed with Indians - cheap and decent Dhosa. Served on banana leaf).

Mrs. Balbir's

I've ordered from here through Food By Phone and thought it was excellent.

One cnr. soi 8

One cnr soi 12.

I've tried both of these - the Soi 8 place (India Today is it called?) is pretty good although I think overpriced, Namushkar just a few yards away has better food. The Soi 12 place is unremarkable.

The most expensive, swankiest and, according to many, the best Indian restaurant in town is Hazara (think that's the correct name), in the Face Complex on Sukhumvit Soi 38. Apparently it's excellent, but very expensive also, more so than the Rembrandt place even. They have a web site - can't seem to find it right now though.

Edited by dantilley

A 'low end' looking vegetarian one in the ally between soi 20 and soi 22 (L shaped leading to soi 22).

Thai food is the luxury in this area. I sometimes think it should be awarded the title of Little India due to the concentration of Indian restaurants and tailors. There is even a Malaysian Dhosa chain outlet whose name I forget in soi 20 IIRC (packed with Indians - cheap and decent Dhosa. Served on banana leaf).

The one in the alley - actually a sub-soi, Soi 20/1 - is Sri Ganesh. Good, and like Dosa King one of the few in Bangkok that serves a full complement of south Indian cuisine (the 'real' Indian food :o as opposed to Moghul/Pershan/Punjabi dishes).

The dosa place on Soi 20 you referrred to might be Komalas. Very good S Indian grub, served fast-food style, ie ordered at a counter. Plastic seating, etc. Not much for atmo but it's cheap, clean and good. Very popular with the Indian community. Sri Ganesh is good but has rather awkward service, trying to be formal with tablecloths but not really a luxe spot.

One of my favorite N Indian spots is one of the city's oldest, Royal India, on Chakkaphet Rd in Phahurat. Mostly Indian clientele; excellent homemade mango achar if you ask for it. There are several small Indian restos and tea and chapati shops nearby on Soi ATM.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...