Singapore Accommodation ?

Meg_2003

I'll be taking a small vacation in Singapore next year.. I need to find somewhere to stay. I am not looking for anything luxurious, so Im looking for a low priced hotel or Guesthouse but need private bathroom.

Id prefer to be around Little India area, or anywhere near to the MRT, not too far out. I'll be going there for mainly shopping and nightlife.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

Thank you!

I'll be taking a small vacation in Singapore next year.. I need to find somewhere to stay. I am not looking for anything luxurious, so Im looking for a low priced hotel or Guesthouse but need private bathroom.

Id prefer to be around Little India area, or anywhere near to the MRT, not too far out. I'll be going there for mainly shopping and nightlife.

Thank you!

We arrived back yesterday, try The Fragrance hotel Selegie ,great little hotel, clean small rooms all with on suite quiet,good staff , 2 minutes to mrt, slap bang in the middle of little india, 10 minutes walk from bugis, or hotel 81 a bit further up the street, :o

Earlier this year there were a few options around the $120/140 mark but it is hard to get something good for that rate now. Personally I'd wait until next year to see if prices come down but as usual, avoid Chinese New Year.

Sorry, what is your budget ?

Edited by torrenova

I was thinking around 2-3,000 per night.

Ive been recommended by a few people to go to The Fragrance hotel Selegie..

Anyone else been there?

we had 14days there recently, check the comments on their website, tiny rooms , book via internet , internet rates under 100dollars less than 50% , we booked for 4 weeks in the new year when we were leaving, that how impressed we were

I was thinking around 2-3,000 per night.

Ive been recommended by a few people to go to The Fragrance hotel Selegie..

Anyone else been there?

We stayed at the South East Asia hotel which is 5 minutes walk from Bugis MRT - it's a little old but with clean, spacious rooms. It's $80-90 a night including tax and breakfast. One great thing about Singapore (apart from the food!) is you can get free wifi signals nearly everywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

There are a bunch of Hotel 81s in Joo Chiat Road, which is near East Coast Park and what passes for a beach in Singapore.

Last I heard, rates started at S$79, (~1950B) rising to $99 (~2400B) at weekends.

A very interesting nightlife area, including the infamous Little Saigon, but some of the nightlife percolates back to the rooms for a short-stay (extremely naughty for Singapore) making the hotels a bit noisy at times, especially as the rooms are tiny.

Edited by RickBradford

If you do not have to go, dont....

its a shit hole, personally.

Far too expensive, the budget hotels are in Geylang area, not far from the airport but the mrt is a hike...

geylang is the red light area and all the hotels are knocking shops, cross reference all hotels on trip advisor, this should give you a better idea.

china town is ok, again the cheaper places are far from the mrt, the taxi's are a rip off, so you have to weigh up, how far from the mrt vs taxi.

night life???? not sure it exists, google "sammy boys", singapores nightlife forum, err prostitute hotline..

if your on a budget, singapore is not really the right place.

the thai embassy is off orchard rd, turn left out of the mrt, 100m on the opposite side of the road.

good luck

Far too expensive, the budget hotels are in Geylang area, not far from the airport but the mrt is a hike...

geylang is the red light area and all the hotels are knocking shops, cross reference all hotels on trip advisor, this should give you a better idea.

Whatever you do, don't stay in the "Hotel 81" in Geylang. Prostitutes and their customers screeching the whole goddamn night. I got zero sleep, complained to the front desk, and was told that they "can't do anything about it".

Little India isn't too bad. I don't remember the name of the hotel I ended up in, but it was a decent place. The only downside was the concrete-jackhammering outside during the daytime when I was trying to catch up on my lost sleep.

I disagree with PhuketRam about Singapore's quality; I found it a pleasant place to spend a few days. Go see Jurong Bird Park, and possibly the aquarium as well; hit the food court ("hawker center" in local parlance) at Newton Circle to try some of their crab dishes. You can take a ferry over to Indonesia to collect another country's stamp in your passport and to stop in at the world-famous Lucy's Oarhouse for a beer, if you have a day or two more to spare.

Thank you!

The Prince of Wales guesthouse on Dunlop Street in Little India is a good value and in a decent location. Not luxiourous but it's cheap and seems fit your criteria.

http://www.pow.com.sg/

There is a common theme here: tiny rooms. More like glorified broomclosets, actually. I think you'd have to pay quite a bit to get a more normally-sized room in this city - too bad as otherwise I think Singapore has a lot to offer. My only complaints with it really are these tiny expensive rooms and the exorbitant booze prices.

I was last in Singapore about a year ago, and I stayed in the Robertson Quay Hotel, down on the river by Clarke and Robertson Quays. The room wasn't a bad deal for $88 a night, but small, the bathroom ridiculously so. Lots of pubs nearby on the river. I have no idea if the place is guest friendly or not as I didn't have any, but I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of bargirls in there with others.

• 3 weeks later...

china town is ok, again the cheaper places are far from the mrt, the taxi's are a rip off, so you have to weigh up, how far from the mrt vs taxi.

night life???? not sure it exists, google "sammy boys", singapores nightlife forum, err prostitute hotline..

the thai embassy is off orchard rd, turn left out of the mrt, 100m on the opposite side of the road.

good luck

Don't go out? :o

I'm not going there for a Visa.. I have a Non Immigrant O so don't need to go to Asian countries for my visa.. I am going there for a few days break just for a change..

Having been to Hong Kong and Malaysia, Singapore is next on my list. I have heard some good things about the place..

Im not on a budget, but don't want to pay too much for just the hotel..

Thanks everyone for your help!

good luck

Don't go out? :o

I'm not going there for a Visa.. I have a Non Immigrant O so don't need to go to Asian countries for my visa.. I am going there for a few days break just for a change..

Having been to Hong Kong and Malaysia, Singapore is next on my list. I have heard some good things about the place..

Im not on a budget, but don't want to pay too much for just the hotel..

Thanks everyone for your help!

I reiterate that for cheap stays it's the Little India section of Singapore that makes the most sense. Geylang is in fact cheap but the area has nothing going for it other than prostitution, whereas Little India is a legitimately interesting section of town. Typical though that in a Thailand forum that Geylang would be recommended and that Singapore would be disliked.

Edited by OriginalPoster

I reiterate that for cheap stays it's the Little India section of Singapore that makes the most sense. Geylang is in fact cheap but the area has nothing going for it other than prostitution, whereas Little India is a legitimately interesting section of town. Typical though that in a Thailand forum that Geylang would be recommended and that Singapore would be disliked.

Chinatown an acceptable alternative to Little India - but not around Chinese New Year hols when the area is rammed (ie. now) - and agree with your other comments...

CC

Madras Hotel, just off Serangoon Road (Little India) is a cheap alternative. Rooms are a decent size (not a broom cupboard), have basic facilties, air con, TV, hot shower and it is clean. It is still in a good location for getting into town. I'd take that over Hotel 81 or Fragrence.

As CC has mentioned, there are a number of places in the China Town area as well, which is another alternative.

Geylang, yes it is a designated zone, but there are a couple of cheap hotels there, and there are some excellent places to eat in that area.