How Do U Get To Bangkok

JimmyTheMook

One of the reason's I live in pattaya is becuase of it's close promixity to bangkok.

Always considered CM as place to live but getting to Bangkok seemed to much of a chore.

So wondering for those in CM who frequent Bangkok how do you get there ?

Is it via the sleeping train ?

Do you fly one of the budget airlines for 1500 baht ?

VIP Khao San Road style bus ?

I go quite a bit.

Fly Air Asia.......no complaints on the whole, and way way cheaper than TG ,I don't like to pay through the nose .. just for a sandwich, and OK the flights are not always on time, but hey I'm retired...whats the rush?

Otherwise I drive , especially if I want to travel on to an island or down south

Part of the answer is that many of us hardly ever go from Chiang Mai to BKK. No reason to. Maybe once in the last 18 months.

I have gone by VIP bus, 11 hours to Mochit. First class cabin, second class fan, by overnight train. First class bus, day ttrain. Thai Air, Air Asia, economy (just a sandwich if your are lucky on Thai Air). I paid business class for my best friend to come by Thai Air, but his legs were not long enough to need the leg room.

Basically, I had to go to BKK for worthless medical consults when I lived in Hua Hin. Then I took the train to Chiang Mai, got healed, and stayed.

Part of the answer is that many of us hardly ever go from Chiang Mai to BKK. No reason to. Maybe once in the last 18 months.

I have gone by VIP bus, 11 hours to Mochit. First class cabin, second class fan, by overnight train. First class bus, day ttrain. Thai Air, Air Asia, economy (just a sandwich if your are lucky on Thai Air). I paid business class for my best friend to come by Thai Air, but his legs were not long enough to need the leg room.

Basically, I had to go to BKK for worthless medical consults when I lived in Hua Hin. Then I took the train to Chiang Mai, got healed, and stayed.

Mostly fly Thai Airways.

However, I quite like driving. Drove up about 2 weeks ago and driving down at the end of the week.

The road is good and its nice to see the countryside rather than fly from one city to another

I go quite a bit.

Fly Air Asia.......no complaints on the whole, and way way cheaper than TG ,I don't like to pay through the nose .. just for a sandwich, and OK the flights are not always on time, but hey I'm retired...whats the rush?

Otherwise I drive , especially if I want to travel on to an island or down south

Ditto.

If going to family's house in BKK, then Nok to DM. CLoser for pick up for family.( really a reason to get young brother in law off his dead ass to pick me or us up.. :o )

for the last 3 weeks and the next two weeks, i have a contract mon-thurs in bkk, i fly down monday afternoon and back friday afternoon with air asia, i know at least 1 way im going to have around a 45 min delay but not really a problem. usually costs lest than 5000thb for a return trip, but if you buy in advance say 2 week, you can get em nearer the 4000thb mark. i would always use air asia over a dearer carrier, as like what has been said above im sure i can last an hours flight without a sandwich and a piece of cake.

I used train by night it seems to me good way to go to BKK especially when you want to save some money.

Sometime I take Air Asia flight it's not so expensive and very fast. I had no problems with air asia more over I like it. I've had 6 air asia flight for last month and I am more than satisfy.

I prefer Thai Air or Nok Air to DMK.

Thai Air is good because it flies to DMK, they provide a free "snack box", you can pre-select your seat from their website, and you can earn Star Alliance miles. The only drawback is the price of the tickets. If I am flying on business, I will usually have the staff arrange this flight for me.

Nok Air is also good, as they fly to DMK, have *THE* cutest air hostesses of all, provide a free Auntie Anne hotdog pretzel, you can pre-select your seat from their website, and the tickets are very affordable. The drawbacks are that you have to pay for a drink separately and you can not earn airline miles. If I am flying on my own dime, I will usually book this flight for my self.

Air Asia. The only good thing I can really say about Air Asia, is that they are affordable. The things I don't like about Air Asia is that they only fly into/ out of Suvarnabhumi and there is no assigned seating (unless you get there early and queue up early, the chances of you getting stuck in a middle seat are high).

Flying in and out of DMK airport is so much more preferable. Its much closer to town which means a much cheaper and shorter cab ride. The check-in and security lines are much shorter. Its a much shorter walk to the terminal. This means that I can leave much later to the airport than I ever could if I was flying out of Suvarnabhumi. Additionally, the food in the domestic terminal at Suvarnabhumi sucks. There is basically a single restaurant that is outrageously expensive. There are at least 2 at DMK, one of which is a Burger King! I'll take a reasonably priced Burger King over the Suvarnabhumi airport any day!

-Mestizo

I prefer Thai Air or Nok Air to DMK.

Thai Air is good because it flies to DMK, they provide a free "snack box", you can pre-select your seat from their website, and you can earn Star Alliance miles. The only drawback is the price of the tickets. If I am flying on business, I will usually have the staff arrange this flight for me.

Nok Air is also good, as they fly to DMK, have *THE* cutest air hostesses of all, provide a free Auntie Anne hotdog pretzel, you can pre-select your seat from their website, and the tickets are very affordable. The drawbacks are that you have to pay for a drink separately and you can not earn airline miles. If I am flying on my own dime, I will usually book this flight for my self.

Air Asia. The only good thing I can really say about Air Asia, is that they are affordable. The things I don't like about Air Asia is that they only fly into/ out of Suvarnabhumi and there is no assigned seating (unless you get there early and queue up early, the chances of you getting stuck in a middle seat are high).

Flying in and out of DMK airport is so much more preferable. Its much closer to town which means a much cheaper and shorter cab ride. The check-in and security lines are much shorter. Its a much shorter walk to the terminal. This means that I can leave much later to the airport than I ever could if I was flying out of Suvarnabhumi. Additionally, the food in the domestic terminal at Suvarnabhumi sucks. There is basically a single restaurant that is outrageously expensive. There are at least 2 at DMK, one of which is a Burger King! I'll take a reasonably priced Burger King over the Suvarnabhumi airport any day!

-Mestizo

Well, I like driving down myself. Having worked 10 years in China and having to use the airports there, I would rather not bother with crowds and the hassle of getting to and from in taxis. But you do have to have the time to do so and not be on a tight schedule. I enjoy getting in the truck, kicking off the shoes and having a nice ride with plenty of time to think and to be by myself for 8 hours or so. I know this is not everyone's idea of a relaxing time, but I like driving with an open window while not in big cities and heavy traffic.