What's For Breakfast?

dotcom

This was brekkies today. 1/2 eaten already.

A flour tortilla, smeared with refried beans. Slices of TGM ham, 2 poached eggs w/ salsa sauce.

If this is not your cup of tea read my avatar.

Doesn't look bad there DC, with a little work on the presentation and the addition of a few cooked flies, maybe you can give Sunrise a run for its money :o

interesting

however I'd prefer the Colombian breakfast version, Huevos Pericos: scrambled eggs with sautéed onions and tomatoes - served with Arepa (grilled cornmeal patty) with cheese, freshly baked bread and hot chocolate. It brings back memories of Colombia ahhhh :o

post-7932-1227683444_thumb.jpg

I do a similar thing here but its more of a lunch/dinner. Really easy and delicious and tastes like Mexico!

Base of refried canned refried beans smeared on a large plate

Sliced poached or sliced grilled chicken on the beans (the chicken is pre-cooked)

Microwave until hot

Fry two eggs in neutral oil, I think fried eggs are more Mexican than poached

Put the eggs over the beans/chicken dish

Cover the eggs with locally produced bottled hot Mexican salsa

garnish with sliced jalapeno peppers and sliced avocado slices

Serve with warmed corn tortillas (I usually warm them up to crispy before frying the eggs)

You can scoop up the delicious tastes and textures with the tortillas ... yummy.

All of these raw ingredients easily available in Pattaya ...

Assuming you have the cooked chicken handy, cooking time is maybe 5 or 10 minutes.

BTW, if I lived in the US near a Mexican area I would never bother with cooking anything Mexicanish (sic) at home, but this creation satisfies my need for Mexican tastes here in Thailand. It does not represent any specific authentic Mexican dish but it is influenced by huevos rancheros.

Edited by Jingthing

Good work Jing.

I think those flies at Sunset are imported cuz I've never seen one in my house in over 30 years.

That was my first time making Huevos but it won't be the last.

Last night was chili with beans & corn bread from JohnBKK's reciepe - YUM.

This was brekkies today. 1/2 eaten already.

A flour tortilla, smeared with refried beans. Slices of TGM ham, 2 poached eggs w/ salsa sauce.

If this is not your cup of tea read my avatar.

:o hmmm those eggs are poached? errrm ......try ths next time : boil water with some vinegar 1/2 cup on a liter of water take a small dish, rub some oil onto it and crack the egg onto the lightly oiled dish, than take a spoon and swirl around in the lightly boiling water, creating a small whirlpool - now gently tip the dish and release the egg into its centre - result - poached eggs that look as such :D

John

I think we had a poached egg thread a while back John. I like to steam them in little pots as well for the neatest effect.

They look good, but are not poached eggs. One thing usually not considered about real poached eggs is the light, pleasant vinegar flavor that comes from the process of making them and the texture is different to steamed eggs.

I love Egg's Benedict with the additional vinegary flavor of the Sauce Hollandaise - but for the real thing you'll need to poach your eggs- its easy, try it - the important thing is also not to overcook them you'll want a soft yolk but slightly firm eggwhite

As to scrambled eggs, fry everything you wish to add first like onions etc ..than add the eggs and stir, briefly frying them and remove from pan while still moist, they will finish by themselves by the time you sit down to tuck in - IMO nothing worse than overfried eggs like airline omeletts -

John

there is an art in making eggs right - many Executive chefs ask anyone applying for a job to make an omelette as a test of their skills

Edited by JohnBKKK

I remember a quote by the English TV cook, Keith Floyd.

He said if you're staying in a hotel in a strange country and wonder what the restaurant is like, to order egg and chips; if they can't cook that properly they usually can't cook anything else.

I remember a quote by the English TV cook, Keith Floyd.

He said if you're staying in a hotel in a strange country and wonder what the restaurant is like, to order egg and chips; if they can't cook that properly they usually can't cook anything else.

Keith Floyd is my kinda of cook, hammered all the time. A couple years back was sitting in a british pub in Phuket (green something) and the local band was playing some covers. At the end of one set I hear this guy exclaim loudly "ROCK ON". I turned around to see Mr. Floyd three sheets to the wind at the bar. :o