Funds Transfer To Bkk

This won't be difficult for many of you guys. Here are my details:

I plan on trying to retire in Thailand sometime next year.

I am WAY over the 50 yr. mark.

I have sufficient funds in Citibank in California, USA to qualify.

I think I have sufficient retirement income, from SS and pensions from past employment to qualify. I have been retired a long time.

I have a small joint account in Bangkok Bank, with my lady.

Here's the question.....Do I have to make another trip over, open an account, then return home and set up a transfer with my Citibank, after I have an acct. no.,

or can I set up the transfer arrangement now and e-mail, or telephone them the account number after I arrive in LOS, and open the account...?

Any suggestions on preferred banks in BKK ? Any advice would be appreciated.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank the members of this board for the invaluable and reliable information you have provided for those of us who are not as well informed, (bunch of dumb-asses), and to wish each and all of the readers of this forum a HAPPY HOLIDAY SEASON......ErnieK

If you are married to the lady you could probably use that account - and if you support her also only have to have half the amount on deposit.

Your bank should allow you to sign paperwork to allow wire transfers (called a wire transfer agreement) now. Once you set up the account you can provide them the full transfer information/request by phone or fax or whatever they say - check with your bank branch - it should not require your return.

Although they can be busy and unresponsive at times believe Bangkok Bank PLC is your best bet - if they fail; the country fails.

If you are married to the lady you could probably use that account - and if you support her also only have to have half the amount on deposit.

Your bank should allow you to sign paperwork to allow wire transfers (called a wire transfer agreement) now.  Once you set up the account you can provide them the full transfer information/request by phone or fax or whatever they say - check with your bank branch - it should not require your return.

Although they can be busy and unresponsive at times believe Bangkok Bank PLC is your best bet - if they fail; the country fails.

Thank you very much "lop". I"m not married to her.....yet, but I do support her somewhat, through the magic of the ATM. I put it in.....she draws it out. It's a small bank here in San Bernardino, California which does not charge a fee for use of other ATM's, and, in fact, I use it occasionally on my trips over there. Very, very useful, and "handy".

I have written a letter, haven't mailed it yet, to The Thai Consul in Portland, OR,

requesting info and necessary forms to apply for an NI O visa for the purpose of retirement, and what I need to send at this time, the necessary fees, and the type of payment, (check, money order, etc...). I will post the results of my inquiry on this forum so that others may benefit from it if needed. Thanks again and a happy holiday season to you. ErnieK