Pm Orders Thai Airways To Maintain Standards

george

PM orders THAI to maintain standards

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today issued a veiled threat to the chief executive officers (CEO) of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), warning that urgent adjustments needed to be made in order for the airline to maintain its reputation as a world-class carrier, while acknowledging that the company's status as a state enterprise meant that progress was often bogged down in red tape.

The prime minister, who recently engaged in talks with THAI President Kanok Abhiradee and Mr. Yan Albrecht, the president of the STAR Alliance grouping of airlines, said that he had ordered Mr. Kanok to ensure that the national flag carrier regained its reputation as one of the world's leading airlines.

However, he admitted that operations within the airline were often hampered by state enterprise bureaucracy.

Mr. Kanok has stressed that the airline will complete modifications to the seating and entertainment systems in its fleet by the end of next year, and that the flag carrier is continuing to make good profits despite the oil price crisis.

--TNA 2004-12-13

Flashback from May, 2001:

Thai PM's verdict on national carrier: 'It sucks'

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra has slammed the country's national air carrier saying it 'sucks'.

Thaksin said Thai Airways is such a terrible airline he is "very happy" when he doesn't get a seat on it, he told Thursday's edition of the English language Bangkok Post newspaper.

The telecom-tycoon-turned politician who took office three months ago said the airline's fares were too high, the seats were uncomfortable and the quality of service was "low".

Speaking in Thai, Thaksin used the word "huay" to describe the airline, which is a derogatory word that can be translated as "it sucks" or "it is terrible and lousy," the paper's editor said.

"If I were not a public figure, I wouldn't fly with Thai," Thaksin was quoted as saying.

Perhaps surprisingly Thai Airways president Pisith Kusalasaiyanond said Thaksin's comments were justified.

"We admit that the facilities in the cabin of Thai planes are not so convenient" he told Bangkok's City Radio.

Less happy was deputy chief of Thai Airways' labor union, Surasith Sriprapa.

He told the Associated Press that Thaksin's comments would hurt morale and they were "really upset about what he said."

Bad blows

Thaksin's criticism of Thai Airways is the latest in a series of blows to hit the airline.

On March 3, half an hour before Thaksin was to board a flight to the northern city of Chiang Mai, a Boeing 737 belonging to the airline burst into flames at Bangkok airport.

The explosion, which killed one crew member and injured several others, was blamed on technical problems with the aircraft.

And earlier this month, the government revealed that members of the airline's board, politicians and some journalists were freeloading on the airline, with virtually unlimited perks.

Thaksin said the state-run airline lacked effective planning and management. He had told its management to work out a plan on how to serve new routes and to manage its orders from Boeing and Airbus.

The airline is facing a privatization plan under which the government will reduce its stake from 93 percent to 70 percent after a public offering and the sale of a 10 percent stake to a strategic partner.

--CNN/AP 2001-05-24

Personally I think that Thai Airways is overrated, very expensive; and a poor in flight service. When you ask most Thai people which is best airline in the world they, nearly always say Thai Airways, I think this is mainly due to the to fact that it is probably the only airline in which they can feel truely at home with. On most others they will have to speak English or there might only be one or two people who can speak Thai.

BANGKOK: --  Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today issued a veiled threat to the chief executive officers (CEO) of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), warning

The prime minister, who recently engaged in talks with THAI President Kanok had ordered Mr. Kanok to ensure that the national flag carrier regained its reputation as one of the world's leading airlines.

However, he admitted that operations within the airline were often hampered by state enterprise bureaucracy.

--TNA 2004-12-13

And...

If he dosnt get a move on and send Khun wifies Gold card ASAP he will have a lot more to worry about..........state enterprise buraeaucracy indeed :o

Thai airways needs ministerial approval to get seats replaced, hence the slow modernisation.

They should privatise the whole thing, unfortunately, Thai Air board membership is used as a political reward to government cronies. Board members and families get free travel on Thai for life.

Guess who has to approve any movement towards privaisation? Thats right the board........and government is hesitiant to do so as it means there is one less goodie it can hand out to its friends.

Edited by samran

I think one big disadvantage Thai has in economy a lack of in flight entertaiment, personal tv screens...can't remember thier correct name , on a 8,10,12, 14 hours flight ect it makes a big difference . Qantas are the same .Shared projection screens where some guy or gal with a huge hairdo will block your view ruins the flight.

Apart from that,i always fly Thai. never had any problems and always had good service. Plus, they are great with young kids Flying out from Bkk to Dubai tommorrow night and i am sure it will be a nice flight :o

I have flown Thai a few times from Bahrain to Bangers and back.

They are pretty piss poor.

Their planes are old.

The seats are uncomfortable and no personal video screen.

Service staff are okay.

Qantas are probably worse.....cause they have all of the above problems plus their service staff suck big time.

BANGKOK: --  Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra today issued a veiled threat to the chief executive officers (CEO) of Thai Airways International Public Company Limited (THAI), warning

The prime minister, who recently engaged in talks with THAI President Kanok had ordered Mr. Kanok to ensure that the national flag carrier regained its reputation as one of the world's leading airlines.

--TNA 2004-12-13

And...

If he dosnt get a move on and send Khun wifies Gold card ASAP he will have a lot more to worry about..........state enterprise buraeaucracy indeed :D

Thai Airways called me last night and said very sorry for delay but will rectify ASAP.

Very nice and sooooooooo Polite.

(recon they are taking note) :o

Qantas are probably worse.....cause they have all of the above problems plus their service staff suck big time.

could not have said it better!

Stems from an attitude on Qantas that the flight attendants are not there to serve you but to assist in saving your life in an emergency. Could not believe it when I heard a female stewardess say exactly this to a business class passenger who must have commented that the service on that particular flight was unprofessional (and it was truly crap so he had a point!!)

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know ...... etc etc

That's weird. I've now started flying QF on my 3 - 4 times a year trips to London. I used to go TG but I think QF have really sorted their s**t out these days. Always found the service good, food & booze is v good :D , and they seem to be upgrading their long haul 747 cabins.

Trouble is, not a great deal of serious competition for BKK-LHR direct. I like flying short haul on TG - food's OK and I've never had to complain about the service. Bit hard work on long haul though. As others have said it's a tad 'basic' :D

I'd still rather fly with either of them than BA though, where the 'service' seems so grudging it's undeserving of the name :o