Laptops May Damage Male Fertility

waldwolf

Laptops May Damage Male Fertility

BBC News - World Edition

Men who use laptop computers could be unwittingly damaging their fertility, experts believe.

Balancing it on the lap increases the temperature of the scrotum which is known to have a negative effect on sperm production, researchers found.

Coupled with the rising popularity of these computers - about 150m people use them worldwide - much more research is needed say the US authors.

The State University of New York findings appear in Human Reproduction.

Teenage boys and young men may consider limiting their use of laptop computers on their laps.

Lead researcher Dr Yefim Sheynkin, from the State University of New York at Stony Brook, said: "Laptops can reach internal operating temperatures of over 70°C.

"They are frequently positioned close to the scrotum, and as well as being capable of producing direct local heat, they require the user to sit with his thighs close together to balance the machine, which traps the scrotum between the thighs."

The researchers asked 29 healthy male volunteers aged between 21 and 35 to take part in an experiment.

They then recorded the temperature changes to the scrotum caused by laptop use and different seating positions over one hour time periods.

Just sitting with the thighs together, a posture needed to balance a laptop, caused scrotal temperatures to rise by 2.1C.

Full article here:

:o

It is coming to the end of the year, and people (scientists) want the grants continued......

When I was a grunt programmer, I heard that long exposure to CRT Emmissions killed "Y" chromozones. Before this I fathered a boy, and hey presto I had a girl.... After being a programmer. But after that I fathered two more boys....

So it really is a question of opinion.

But then again, I changed from a CRT to a laptop....

Mind you it reeks of superstition. ala If you sing when you are cooking you will have an old husband !!!

These days, practically anything and everything either causes cancer, reduces fertility, or affects virility. Emissions from your monitor. Cell phone signals. Tap water. Magazine ink. Your dog. Bike seats. Eggs. Chicken. Microwaves. You name it, chances are it's been pronounced bad for your health at one time or another.

This begs the question: How is it that mankind hasn't been wiped out?

Take the health risk warnings with a pinch of salt, since most are based on questionable research methods. Scrotal temperatures? Give me a break.