One Night In Bangkok

Neeranam

Listening to the golden oldie "One night in Bkk" by Murray Head. Great song and brings back lots of happy memories. I couldn't get that song out my head for months when arriving in Bangkok years ago.

What is it all about though?

I have heard lots of things about chess, some guy who tried to save prostitutes from bars, and others.

Anyone know the real meaning of the lyrics?

What ever happened to Mr Head?

Edited by Neeranam

Listening to the golden oldie "One night in Bkk" by Murray Head. Great song and brings back lots of happy memories. I couldn't get that song out my head for months when arriving in Bangkok years ago.

What is it all about though?

I have heard lots of things about chess, some guy who tried to save prostitutes from bars, and others.

Anyone know the real meaning of the lyrics?

What ever happened to Mr Head?

The song is from the Broadway play "Chess", which, I belive, was about chess matches all over the world. The song just describes being in Bangkok to play chess and being tempted by other distractions.

The song is from the Broadway play "Chess", which, I belive, was about chess matches all over the world. The song just describes being in Bangkok to play chess and being tempted by other distractions.

Yes that's correct. A Bobby Fischer-like character plays a match for the world chess championship against some evil Russian grandmaster, but never fear for Bobby because as the song says, "One town's very like another when your head's down over your pieces, brother." The song also mentions other cities where big chess matches/tournaments have been played: Iceland (Rejkyavik 1972, where the real Bobby lifted the world chess crown from Boris Spassky, a Russian and a very nice man), Hastings (England, site of some big old-time tournaments), the Philippines (Baguio where Soviet hero Anatoly Karpov beat Soviet defector and extreme anti-Soviet Viktor Korchnoi in a very bitter, contentious match, I think in 1978).