Protesters Look Set To Be Dispersed At 3 P.m.

BangkokBP

Their initial intentions were good but past month made violent thugs out of them. You do not hi-jack busses, trucks and airports. You do not equip yourself with armed guards, you do not threaten people having other ideas & ideals.

Thugs for having armed guards? Has it escaped your notice that people have been throwing grenades and shooting at them? Ideals, such as a corruption-free government?

The armed guards were there from day one at the government house. The grenades came much later. And please correct me but the first one shot was a red shirt as far as I remember and the shooter was a yellow shirt guarding the non-violent peaceful protesters.

Yes I have ideals and the most important one is "Rule of Law". And this counts for both, the corrupt ones and the ones who think to wear a yellow shirt makes them standing on top of each law.

I'm sorry shunima- I understand that you feel disappointed by the PAD- but like many on this board- those who claim the PAD actually has the best interests of the poor at heart- that the PAD is not serious when it says 70/30- that the PAD are essentially nice people made mad by circumstances- you have created a movement that existed only in your mind.

They were dangerous from day one- and still are. They were reactionary protofascists (of the Pibun stripe) on day one- and they still are.

Only some people in their zeal to rid the country of Thaksin didn't want to face the reality of this self appointed band of liberators.

Rather they created a movement in their brains and tried to fit PAD into it. Now the realisty is bursting out of the seams.

And rather than admit they hooked their wagon to a devil horse- they try to say the horse went crazy.

It always was.

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Their initial intentions were good but past month made violent thugs out of them. You do not hi-jack busses, trucks and airports. You do not equip yourself with armed guards, you do not threaten people having other ideas & ideals.

Thugs for having armed guards? Has it escaped your notice that people have been throwing grenades and shooting at them? Ideals, such as a corruption-free government?

The armed guards were there from day one at the government house. The grenades came much later. And please correct me but the first one shot was a red shirt as far as I remember and the shooter was a yellow shirt guarding the non-violent peaceful protesters.

Yes I have ideals and the most important one is "Rule of Law". And this counts for both, the corrupt ones and the ones who think to wear a yellow shirt makes them standing on top of each law.

I'm sorry shunima- I understand that you feel disappointed by the PAD- but like many on this board- those who claim the PAD actually has the best interests of the poor at heart- that the PAD is not serious when it says 70/30- that the PAD are essentially nice people made mad by circumstances- you have created a movement that existed only in your mind.

They were dangerous from day one- and still are. They were reactionary protofascists (of the Pibun stripe) on day one- and they still are.

Only some people in their zeal to rid the country of Thaksin didn't want to face the reality of this self appointed band of liberators.

Rather they created a movement in their brains and tried to fit PAD into it. Now the realisty is bursting out of the seams.

And rather than admit they hooked their wagon to a devil horse- they try to say the horse went crazy.

It always was.

Excuse me while I puke but tripe always unsettled my stomach

post-16151-1227888964.gif

It always was.

Blaze...I'm not that much disappointed. It still believe that the early beginng was ok as it didn't start with the ousting of Thaksin. It all started with freedon of speech when Thaksin shut down television & radio programmes. That time it was good to stand up, the gatherings in Lumphini park were new to a lot of Thais to express their interest in democarcy & politics. Unfortunately most of the supporters got highjacked as well when the course changed late 2005. Since then... sad sad story of sad old men angry not to be in power themselves.

From TOC

MUST READ: PAD Clearifies Decision to Surround Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi Airport

UPDATE : 28 November 2008

What does the People's Alliance for Democracy have to gain from this long struggle?

A country that is free of corruption, crony capitalism, and nepotism. There is no financial gain to be made. Sondhi Limthongkul has already came out on several occasions and spoke about how he was offered more than 500 million baht for ASTV, but declined the offer knowing that it would be the end to INDEPENDENT Media free from the governments control. Pipob Thongchai has no business interest he is well known for his free educational schools in the provinces. Somkiat Pongpaiboon, is a former academic and now politician who wants to see change in society. Somsak Kosaisuk, is a leader of the state enterprises confederation who fought against the privatization of state enterprises. Chamlong Srimuang is a former army general, Bangkok governor and now an organic farmer who has a leadership school for civil servants as well as looking after unwanted street dogs. Not quite a group of capitalist bent on gaining from this long enduring struggle.

Several people have asked why have the PAD has resorted to protesting at Suvanaphumi airport?

The PAD has protested for more than six months, holding several mini rally's around the city. We have protested at the ECC, Metropolitan Police Bureau, UK Embassy, Silom, Siam Square and several other areas in the capital to protest the corruption and lies within the government.

The Samak Sundaravej and Somchai Wongsawat governments both claim they came from free and fair democratic elections?

If that is true why is there coalition government consisting of the People Power Party, Chart Thai and Matchima Tipataya Party close to being dissolved due to electoral violations and accusations of vote buying? So, is it fair to say they had to cheat to win? If they do have the support they claim? Why would it be necessary to go such measures to win votes?

Is Thai Media free from government intervention?

It's funny that the Pro-Government supporters who have a TV program on NBT Channel 11are bent on voicing their opposition against the PAD while they are broadcast on FREE TV, while ASTV is only available to those who have access to internet, members of provincial cable (which mind you only reaches 20-30% of the population), and viewer who purchase Free to Air satellites. So, in other words the people who support the PAD have had to go out of their way to listen to what the PAD has to say and not the PRO-Government Propaganda that is being aired. So, you could say the made a conscientious choice to listen to ASTV instead.

This government loves to speak of their populist policies? But always forget about the criminals within their party

Why doesn't this government ever talk about the former party members who have been jailed such as Somchai (Kamnan Poh) the father of Sonthaya Khunplume former tourism minister or Wattana Asavahame who have both fled the country after their convictions of corruption? Let's not forget the other person they are protecting Thaksin Shinawatra.

For the last 6 months, the government has chosen to ignore hundreds of thousands of Thai citizens who have dome out to show opposition toward this administration. The PAD realizes that the airport closures will drastically affect Thailand on a variety of dimensions. However, we will no longer be ignored.

I am in no way a expert or anything, but this does seem like a lot of BS.

So the PAD wants to eliminate cronyism, corruption and the way to do this, is ofcourse by having VIPs appoint the government...a watertight anti corruption and cronyism system

There is no financial gain to be made? ofcourse the PAD leaders are very noble, and nobody can envision a scenario where the PAD would somehow make a fortune, after their VIPs get to select the governments for the coming century

Some people get caught up with how bad the current government is, but wat the PAD wants is so much worse, the structural end of democracy.

Sondli probably isnt selling his TV channel as he needs it to sway public opinion, and if he sells, he may lose the money to his debts?

The reasons PAD armed up was because Red shirts attacked them

at several locations up north when they tried to talk to people in groups.

Rally's were smashed and speakers beaten with clubs, just for trying to talk.

Seeing as any differeing information than the PPP party line might

make voters think for themselves that they had an OPTION to vote for,

they violently stamped out ANY PAD movements up north.

And then started to do it down in Bangkok.

This specifically caused PAD to arm defensively.

I remember Thaksin going to a Bangkok mall and 8-10 protesters were there

he had them removed and beaten, including a 78 year old man.

Any one remember the intimidating Caravan Of The Poor?

Nothing more than an upcountry bully boys gang down to intimidate

PAD protestors and any media that didn't ignore then totally.

Like the Nation, which was attacked at it offices.

Thaksin's side has ALWAYS been the side to use violence first and stronger.

PAD's arming has been in response to those attacks bu Thaksin's stalking horses.

Blaze ---- calling for the resignation of a PM (Okk Pai) is the right of every citizen in a parliamentary system ... and remember Dr. Pol Lt Col Thaksin was beyond censure at that time.

The constitution very specifically spelled out the terms under which a PM 'retires' - he was given a job to do- and certainly early retirement was not part of the contract. There were mechanisms in place to fire him- and those mechanisms, in large part, rested with the courts. But the courts were lazy- or incompetent- or bought off-

Nobody complained. I even asked my Thai friends after he was aquitted for his assets concealment, why nobody was protesting the verdict. But nobody did. Not on a large scale at any rate.

Nobody demanded the courts do their job- UNTIL... one person- who understood the rule of law - took that task on. And told the courts to get off their asses.

He did NOT say- THaksin Awk Bie- he said- people- follow the law!!! Because HE understood that Thaksin awk bieing just because some meglomanic demanded it was tantamount to breech of contract.

Until the courts had found Thaksin guilty- he had an OBLIGATION- a CONTRACT- to work. The majority of Thais had voted for him and NOBODY had the right to demand that he break that contract- not if they valued the legal context in which that contract existed: the constitution.

Demanding that he quit was tantamount to saying- we don't care about the contract. And when somebody says- we dont' care about the constitution (which spelled out his contract) then you have to ask- what other laws do you not care about?

Protesting is one thing - taking over govt buildings and airports has crossed the line.

Brit -- you know I am your biggest fan .. but has the UK never had sit-ins?

I think there is a difference between sit-in and besieging, isnt it?

I dont know why some people love PAD :D I guess they got money from those thugs.

If someone does not like PAD that does not mean that he likes Thaksin. We should learn that life is not just black and white, there are a million of shades of gray, at least for me.

PAD CLEARLY has an intention from day 1 to do everything to bring chaos in the country. So much so for LOS, now it should be LOD, danger that is.

Watch BBC and read independent media and see how many tourists will never come back to Thailand and billions of baht have been lost for this act of terrorism.

Thaksin might have made some corruption but at least the image of country was a safe tourist destination. Can we call Thailand a safe destination anymore? I dont think so.

If you calculate all those costs which have been caused by terrorist activities of PAD from day 1, that would be way much more than Thaksin's corruption.

Killing innocent people, bringing children for the siege are the attach we can expect from PAD cowards. Enough is enough, there must be a decisive action against these thugs and they must be removed from airport once and for all, if non-violent the best, otherwise it will still be good. :o

…I don't have much choice when it comes to TV selection.

Anyone else who seen anything?

ASTV3, broadcast on www.thailandoutlook.tv, is from Suvarnabhumi at the moment.

--

Maestro

Yes, I am keeping an eye on that, but from what I have seen its only images of the protestors and on the compund they are protesting but I am curious what it looks like at the perimeters.

/bbp

ajarnmark ---- go back to school!

We should learn that life is not just black and white, there are a million of shades of gray, at least for me.
I dont know why some people love PAD I guess they got money from those thugs.
PAD CLEARLY has an intention from day 1 to do everything to bring chaos in the country. So much so for LOS, now it should be LOD, danger that is.
Killing innocent people,

So tell us .... what "innocent people" were killed by the PAD?

Clearly you see things in Black and White ....

Thai language website Matichon is reporting the head of the Metropolitan Police as saying the police have 10 'methods' to effect a dispersal and will begin with negotiation over the phone. They are also producing a document outlining the operation and will seek opinions from the law society etc. Apparently the operation will be entirely televised.

1. Do nothing.

2. Assess the situation and do nothing.

3. Appraise their seniors of the situation and do nothing.

4. Prepare a report for the minister of the interior and do nothing.

5. Hold a press conference and do nothing.

6. Invite various psychologists to advise on the possible approaches and do nothing.

7. Hold a photo call in front of the airport for all the top brass and do nothing.

8. Consult various astrologists and do nothing.

9. Issue an ultimatum that if the protesters do not leave within 5 hours action will be taken and do nothing.

10. Defer the final decision to the minister for the interior and do nothing.

then,

11. Wait until the protesters get bored and homesick and all leave then hold a press conference lauding the police tactics and claiming a total success in the resolution of the situation.

The alternative:-

1. Recall Thaksin Shinawatra.

2. Storm the building shooting anybody not in police uniform.

3. Claim a total success in the peaceful end to the siege but admit to one fatality that resulted from an honest mistake.

Ahem...you missed the all important and vital element

Setting up an independent, impartial committee to...do nothing :o

Hope the airport doesn't end up like this. The end is particularly gruesome but it's real :o

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MdwB3-erLtA&...feature=related

[/quote

Here is Thaskins' comments (in English) on the current situation:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/n...s&cateid=13

Eveybody seems to focused on the short term....(open the airport), but the majority on this board few ever talk about what happens over the next few months if they were to run out the PAD from all the protest sites.

1. The constitution would be amended to exempt those current penalties of 5 years for being found guilty of corruption. This would allow the old TRT leadership back into the game.

2. The Privy counsel would be abolished, thus emasculating any input from the palace.

3. The PPP will be found guilty of corruption on Dec 15, but will reform into a new party that is already set up.

4. The Amnesty that is currently granted once a year from HRM will be seeded to the PM to grant.

5. The Monarchy will cease to exist in a few years.

6. Both the major and minor players of the PAD will be severely punished, so as to set an example to other not to oppose corruption in the government.

The bottom line is a few will take control of this country, use it for personal gain, and what ever the heart and soul of Thailand has been for hundreds of years, it will become a shell of its former self.

I for one do not want to see a coup, but would much rather see the Constitutional Court disband the current PPP party ahead of the Dec 15 schedule. Have the court take control of the country, and set up a better way to run it.

I have to say that I was pretty neutral until a few days ago. I don't pretend to understand Thai politics so I try to understand both sides. However, it beats me how PAD have been allowed to do so much damage. In any civilised society (and I considered Thailand to be civilised) action would have been taken a long time ago. At this point, I think it is irrelevant wether the PAD is right or wrong. It has been irrelevant since they took over government house.

You cannot simply storm into public administrative buildings, and now airports and hold a country to ransom. And you certainly should not expect the militry to interve by causing a Coupe. The damage caused to the country now is immense and it will be hard to quatify it. Even if it is true that Thaksin and his cronies abused power for self gain, I am sure that what they have allegedly pocketed is peanuts in comparison to the countries losses over the past few months and more so the last few days.

Furthermore, while I agree with their frustration that the ignorant might elect a party simply because or their colour and not policies, all they have to do is look around the world. The world (not just Thailand) is full of ignorant people who vote for colour or because their parents voted for that party before that. Are we to change the meaning of democracy worldwide?

As for corruption, it is everywhere. Once people get into power, they have a tendency to abuse it, and will at some stage or another do something for personal gain. It could be getting special contracts for themselves, it could be driving their daughter to school with the chaufer and car paid for by the state. Its nothing new. So what guarantee will PAD be able to give that corruption will not happen if PPP et al are disbanded .

Finally, I find it utterly incomprehensable, why all this fuss, when it is clear the courts are going to ultimatly disband PPP and ban some of its members in just over a month.

I am sorry to say, that to me, these protests have a far more sinister agenda behind them than simply a grudge against Thaksin. With that said, I hope I am wrong.

Edited by trigger571

You are kidding right on-on? No footprints on the toilet seats!!! Thais squat like that too you know
I was joking, but I've never seen footprints on a Western toilet in Thailand except one time at a sort of convention we had up country with a bunch of Malays. I have, however, seen them a number of times in KL - at the LCCT, at fast food restaurants, etc. I know "Thais squat like that too" but in my experience there doesn't seem to be much confusion about how to use which type of toilet here. Anyway, it was just sarcasm.

the whole world is watching india right now.....

very soon the whole world will be watching thailand, and that includes the good guys and the bad guys, i wonder how many bad guys are choosing their next terror location right now.

looking for an easy target where the police have no power and the military refuse to follow orders from their political leaders....

plenty of soft targets in BKK and plenty of very willing helpers close by.... plenty of westerners here too.....

the inaction of the thai police and the refusal of the military to aid the governmemt is sending exactly the wrong message to the wrong people at the wrong time.....

the sooner this mess is cleared up the better - for thailand...... this is not just simply a national issue any more!

the whole world is watching india right now.....

very soon the whole world will be watching thailand, and that includes the good guys and the bad guys, i wonder how many bad guys are choosing their next terror location right now.

looking for an easy target where the police have no power and the military refuse to follow orders from their political leaders....

plenty of soft targets in BKK and plenty of very willing helpers close by.... plenty of westerners here too.....

the inaction of the thai police and the refusal of the military to aid the governmemt is sending exactly the wrong message to the wrong people at the wrong time.....

the sooner this mess is cleared up the better - for thailand...... this is not just simply a national issue any more!

LOL ...

yes sound the panic drum ... add some drama!

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat fired his national police chief on Friday for mishandling the latest escalation in a six-month old political crisis that has seen protesters blockade Bangkok's airports.

Police commanders on the ground said there were no immediate plans for an assault on protesters staging sit-ins at Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports, where all flights are canceled and thousands of travelers are stranded.

"Tonight, we are staying here," Police Colonel Sutin Meekajit said in the hotel car park at the $4 billion Suvarnabhumi airport, gateway for nearly 15 million tourists last year.

Police General Patcharawat Wongsuwan's transfer to an inactive post capped a week of high drama that saw police melt away as protesters invaded one of Asia's biggest airports.

"The removal was the result of his performance during this current crisis," government spokesman Nattawut Saikuar said a day after Somchai declared a state of emergency to end the sieges, already costing tens of millions of dollars in export delays.

Dozens of riot police with truncheons and shields gathered at Suvarnabhumi, but took no action against the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protesters camped outside the main terminal.

Police at Don Muang airport ordered protesters there to leave immediately, but softened the edict by saying they hoped the situation would return to normal within three days.

Continued here

"Protesters Look Set To Be Dispersed At 3 P.m., Government House and Don Muang"

I know what happened at 3 PM today, the contents of my intestinal tract got dispersed, but that is about bloody $%&ing it!!!! The PAD may be a bunch of lowlife scum, but the morons running the government legitimate or not are about as useless as anything can get. WHERE THE hel_l IS THE RIOT POLICE!!?!????!

Eveybody seems to focused on the short term....(open the airport), but the majority on this board few ever talk about what happens over the next few months if they were to run out the PAD from all the protest sites.

1. The constitution would be amended to exempt those current penalties of 5 years for being found guilty of corruption. This would allow the old TRT leadership back into the game.

2. The Privy counsel would be abolished, thus emasculating any input from the palace.

3. The PPP will be found guilty of corruption on Dec 15, but will reform into a new party that is already set up.

4. The Amnesty that is currently granted once a year from HRM will be seeded to the PM to grant.

5. The Monarchy will cease to exist in a few years.

6. Both the major and minor players of the PAD will be severely punished, so as to set an example to other not to oppose corruption in the government.

The bottom line is a few will take control of this country, use it for personal gain, and what ever the heart and soul of Thailand has been for hundreds of years, it will become a shell of its former self.

I for one do not want to see a coup, but would much rather see the Constitutional Court disband the current PPP party ahead of the Dec 15 schedule. Have the court take control of the country, and set up a better way to run it.

Some of the above I would not see as being that bad. I guess looking at the English model one does not see some one constantly granting military the right to intervene at the expense of a people elected system trying to find its way. Although to be fair in the English model the people elected governance has the benefit of maturity.

I likewise have no problem with the PAD leadership being severely punished as they should for what has now occured. But likewise the charges and sentences against Thaksin must also stand.

I am in total agreement with your last sentence. The problem with Thailand is the ingrained class structure and gratitude or favour systems that keep some down and allow absolute corruption in the rest. For that reason I agree that about the only group that appears to be above favour and has been ruling rationally and fairly is the Constitutional Court. They could revamp the whole system and put the checks and balances in place that will allow an elected governance to run full terms. Would also see them as the final arbitrator in all future disagreements and may be not the full commander in chief of the armed forces and police but at least a strong voice beside the elected government of the day in their use in regard to the current mob rule type scenario.

And well done for posting a view that was worthy of discussing. Hard to find on this board these days.

Edited by Roadman

Thank you roadman...

The other gorilla in the closet that nobody seems to relize the significance of is the following:

What this will mean is the end of the PPP and other parties, and will go right hand in hand with my last paragraph in my previous post....if the government is disbanded because of corruption found by the court, who will run the country..I am really happy that date is moved up to Tuesday now. (So much for those arguments of Somchai being the legitimate government elected by the will of the people).

The Constitution Court yesterday set a December 2 deadline for its acceptance of closing statements from the three coalition parties, People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya, involved in the party-dissolution case.

The high court ruled to drop the hearing of witnesses and the admission of additional evidence on the grounds that it already had sufficient information to form a verdict.

The abrupt wrap-up of the case is seen as paving the way for a snap election as the outcome of the judicial review will clear uncertainties relating to the fate of the parties.

Court president Chat Chonlaworn said they would be allowed to submit additional arguments in writing as deemed necessary until the deadline but the court would not convene any hearings.

Responding to requests by the defence to summon the three party leaders to give additional testimony on top of their statements given during the investigative stage, Chat said this could be submitted in writing.

PPP deputy leader and party-list MP Karn Thienkaew said it was very likely the PPP would be dissolved as the court was not allowing its 36 executives to make any clarifications. In this case the executives' voting rights must be revoked. Other MPs must move to another party within 30 days, and most of them are moving to the Phue Thai Party.

The next prime minister must come from that party as it will have the most MPs in Parliament, Karn said.

He said he would resign his parliamentary seat to open the way for the next in line on the list to become MP.

A PPP source who asked not to be named said someone very close to former prime minister thaksin Shinawatra would be invited to lead Phue Thai to draw votes from Thaksin's supporters. Among those tipped is General Chaisit Shinawatra, former supreme commander and a cousin of Thaksin.

The source said PPP MPs who were former or current Cabinet members but not PPP executives, including Mingkwan Sangsuwan, Chalerm Yubamrung, Santi Promphat and Somsak Kiartsuranont, might be nominated for prime minister, though this might be interpreted as violating Article 190 of the Constitution, in which case MPs like Chai Chidchob, Apiwan Wiriyachai and Samart Kaewmeechai would have a chance.

Matchima's defence lawyer Chatchai Chookaew said he was surprised at the abrupt decision to fast-track the case.

Chatchai said Matchima leader Anongwan Thepsuthin was expected to personally make the defence summation before the high court.

People Power's defence lawyer Thana Benjathikul said the hearing of witnesses should not have been dropped. Many party executives who had no involvement in the electoral fraud wanted to testify in person to convince the presiding judges of their innocence, he said.

Another PPP source who asked not to be named said the PPP was more likely to be dissolved than the other two parties as the evidence against former deputy leader Yongyuth Tiyapairat for electoral fraud was more damning than in the cases of other party executives.

Edited by old wanderer

PAD is just having a friendly little protest so when the police go in to legally remove them it should be no problem. Send the police in now, they have nothing to fear from people just sitting around having a little camp out. There is no need for concern because obviously PAD isn't using the tacit threat of violence as a deterrent or anything. The police will should have absolutely no reason to be alarmed. PAD is not a violent group after all. Every western embassy in the world in fact is saying stop on by to any of their locations to have a friendly chat and meet your local PAD supporters. :o