Bamboo

miltonbentley

We are looking forabout 60 clumps of bamboo. I know I can get it at Khamtieng but is there somewhere better, perhaps a bit out of town where I can get it cheaper?

Building a pipe organ for the wedding party or what? :D

Be sure to get what you need. There are so many different varieties of bamboo for different purposes, such as for hedging, screening, wind-break, ground cover, shoot production, construction and weaving material ...

At Khamthiang Market, there are over 20 different bamboo varieties offered, a single (small to medium sized) pot can range from as low as 20 Baht to 2,500 Baht - depending on the variety of bamboo.

If you want some information on this, google for "bamboo", "Khamthiang Market", "Chiang Mai".

A few varieties of bamboo grow along ditches, canals, and rivers. They can be exploited for free by Thai people. Just engage some Thais for a few hundred Bahts per day, and they can excavate some clumps, trim the stems to about 1-2 m height, divide the clumps up into small parts (each with 1-3 stems), and then plant them out before roots getting dry. You can easily find on the watercourses, for example, phai lueang, a yellew-stem tall variety, and phai ruak, a bamboo with stiff-erect culms and small leaves. Both can be used as garden ornamentals, tall hedges, wind-breaks, and their shoots for diet.

... ไผ่เลี้ยง (phai liang) - is this good for a living screen?

It's ideal for a tall screen, can grow up to 12 meters tall, and can be trimmed if you wish a lower screen.

was talking to mrs MB the other evening about this. try talking to someone in Kamthiang and tell them you really looking to buy bulk and where are the places that grow them for onward sale. i am sure a couple of them sellers at kamtiang would oblige.

If you want some information on this, google for "bamboo", "Khamthiang Market", "Chiang Mai".

Don't mean to be a <deleted> - but I am - but typing that into google gets exactly 0 hits!

I've just googled, "Bamboo"+"Khamthieng Market" with excellent results. Notice the "e" in Khamthieng , rather than the "a'. Notice the + sign. Scroll down the results to find the Khamthieng market site.

On a second attempt I got hopeless results. Just keep trying!!

Also try, bambooschiangmaithailand.blogspot.com

Edited by Asmerom