Suvarnabhumi PAD Protest Continues

Jai Dee

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This gives me hope that the majority of the population are still sane.

And the insane minority are ruling now.

If they keep fighting like this, there will be nothing left to rule. Can't we just send these "protesters" from both sides to someplace where they won't do any damage? I'm thinking Wasilla, Alaska.

Isn't that odd, considering how some have been describing them as terrorists, and a violent mob, and nothing but criminals ? And yet, millions of dollars of goods sit there on display untouched, protected (in some cases) by a piece of stretch wrap plastic.

Not at all. Being a thief is not necessarily a prerequisite to being a terrorist.

That Photo of the chief of domestic terrorists and his good friend is truely amazing and underscores why foreigners cannot possibly understand what is really going on in this 3rd world debacle......Pathetic and sad for the people that have to live there...maybe time for some of the fantasy seekers and sex tourists to find a new country of victims....

That Photo of the chief of domestic terrorists and his good friend is truely amazing and underscores why foreigners cannot possibly understand what is really going on in this 3rd world debacle......Pathetic and sad for the people that have to live there...maybe time for some of the fantasy seekers and sex tourists to find a new country of victims....

They can understand, but they cannot tell :o

BANGKOK, Thailand (Map, News) - Government supporters converged on the capital on Sunday, in a counter to rival protesters who seized control of Bangkok's two airports and forced the prime minister to run the country from afar.

Neither the army nor Thailand's revered ????? have stepped in to resolve the crisis - or offered the firm backing that Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat needs to resolve the leadership vacuum.

The problem runs deeper than the airport closures, which have stranded up to 100,000 travelers, strangled the key tourism industry and affected plane schedules worldwide. Political violence has added to the sense of drift bordering on anarchy that pervades the country's administration.

Explosions on Sunday hit the prime minister's compound, which protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy have held since August, an anti-government television station, and a road near the main entrance to the occupied domestic airport. At least 51 people were injured, officials said No one claimed responsibility, but Suriyasai Katasila, a spokesman for the protest group, blamed the government.

Afterward, senior protest leader Chamlong Srimuang met with Bangkok police chief Lt. Gen. Suchart Muankaew. The two agreed to have police and protesters jointly patrol protest sites at the prime minister's office and Don Muang domestic airport.

"It was not a negotiation to end the protest. We discussed how to improve the security situation by patrolling together," Chamlong told reporters.

The alliance says it will not give up until Somchai resigns, accusing him of being a puppet of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the alliance's original target. Thaksin, who is Somchai's brother-in-law, was deposed in a 2006 military coup and has fled the country to escape corruption charges.

Thousands of government supporters wearing red shirts, headbands and bandanas joined a Sunday rally against the protest alliance. Some danced and clapped to music blaring from loudspeakers. They have adopted red to distinguish themselves from their yellow-garbed rivals.

"This is a movement against anarchical force and the people behind it," government spokesman Nattawut Sai-Kua told The Associated Press. "They want anarchy so that the army is forced to intervene and stage a coup."

But the army, which overthrew Thaksin among other previous coups, says it has no plans to oust Somchai. Still, the military's failure to back up Somchai's efforts to restore order give the impression it alone will decide how the situation will be resolved.

Also distancing himself from the crisis has been revered 80-year-old King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who as a constitutional monarch plays no open role in politics but who has healed social fractures in the past.

"No one else can fix this. The country is so divided. The only uniting figure we have is the king. If he tells both sides to step back, they will," said 36-year-old coffee shop owner Natta Siritanond.

Nattawut, the government spokesman, denied rumors that Somchai had left the country, saying he was operating out of the northern city of Chiang Mai and traveling to Nakhon Phanom province, a northeastern province 600 kilometers (370 miles) from Bangkok.

Members of People's Alliance for Democracy overran Suvarnabhumi airport, the country's main international gateway, last Tuesday. They seized the domestic airport a day later, severing the capital from all commercial air traffic and daring the government to evict them.

Somchai declared a state of emergency, but security forces have so far failed to move on the protesters.

The supporters of the People's Alliance for Democracy are largely middle-class citizens who say Thailand's electoral system is susceptible to vote-buying and argue that the rural majority in the north and the northeast - the Thaksin camp's political base - is not sophisticated enough to cast ballots responsibly.

They have proposed discarding the one-man, one-vote system in favor of appointing most legislators, fostering resentment among rural voters.

"They act like they are the only ones who own the country," said a red-clad Nuam Pansee, 42 who traveled with 40 other people from her village in Yasothorn province, 440 kilometers (270 miles) northeast of Bangkok to attend the pro-government rally. "We need to come out and show that we don't agree."

The social and political divisions have slipped into deadly violence. So far, six people have been killed in bomb attacks, clashes with police and street battles between government opponents and supporters.

Eighty-eight planes had been parked at Suvarnabhumi since protesters forced operations to cease. Airport officials announced that 18 planes left without passengers Sunday so they could resume flying, with more expected.

Some airlines were using an airport at the U-Tapao naval base, about 90 miles (140 kilometers) southeast of Bangkok. But authorities there were overwhelmed with hundreds of passengers cramming into the small facility, trying to get their bags scanned through a single X-ray machine.

"There was pushing and shouting and we couldn't get in the front door," said Veena Banerjee of India, trying for the second day to get on a plane.

The Federation of Thai Industries has estimated the takeover of the airports is costing the country $57 million to $85 million a day. Some of its members have suggested they might withhold taxes in protest.

The Constitutional Court is expected to rule soon on whether three parties in the governing coalition, including Somchai's People's Power Party, committed electoral fraud.

If found guilty, the parties would be dissolved immediately, and executive members including Somchai would be barred from politics for five years

Rather than a history lesson, though maybe I'll find time for that anon, let me note here that behind all this, as I noted before is electoral arithmetic, both in terms of days and possibly in terms of numbers of disqualified individuals. By bringing pressure, irrespective of the method for a moment, the government [PPP] finds itself having to confront a range of survival issues, deprived of the luxury of time and focus. Equally, there are possible problems for the electoral infrastructure, since it has been hypothesized that members of the EC could also be disqualified, [depends on the court's definitions, as well as dissolution issues] which could lead to a constitutional position making the holding of an election problematic [possibly even illegal]. Such a situation could then force the creation of a caretaker administration.

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

BANGKOK, Thailand (Map, News) - Government supporters converged on the capital on Sunday, in a counter to rival protesters who seized control of Bangkok's two airports and forced the prime minister to run the country from afar.

Source please ?

LaoPo

I think the government is being held back by lets say "higher authorities"

I know, we probably all know. Sad, isn't it? :o

Most likely on the premise that bloodshed is to be avoided. Yes, I know some will see darker motives, but I genuinely believe there is a desire to avoid the loss of life. So, not necessarily sad but an indication that maybe just maybe some higher authorities still value human life?

As a sidebar I note all the comments on the "elite" vs the north etc. I have a feeling that the northerners are a lot tougher. Something about an upbringing without servants, self sufficiency, fancy digs with a/c etc. that tells me that they can handle the hardship of going without electricity, clean clothes and whatnot. If push comes to shove, and trouble does arise with power outages, water services cut, it won't be the northerners that still use squat toilets but the folks living in the nice houses and luxury condos that will suffer when their dwellings become ovens, toilets can't be flushed and domestic staff don't show up for work. Think about past peasant uprisings in Europe: The peasants could carry on since whatever happened didn't really take away from their subsistence living conditions as much as it did from those that had more "sophisticated" living conditions. I think some of the "elites" are beginning to have second thougths about their support for PAD. Maybe better to keep 3/4 of the loaf than to lose it all.

she looks like a credible news source....

aahh, credible news source. the topic here starts with Faux News or propaganda lie.

if you continue to bring news from TOC please point out that this is a propaganda channel.

Unfortunate that was from some Australian News and not PAD or ASTV!

I suggest that you better cross check before writing such answers/post's Mr. permanent_disorder.

And your flaming comments are not welcome too!

i am referring the very first entry of this thread, sriracha john did understand me. the shooting got reported there never happend.

TOC channel news have a history of prediction of 'scary events', that later will never happen. the most recent one was that the airport will get cleared by police at 3 p.m.. but nothing happen.

for me is that disinformation. create a certain atmsophere or create their own version of reality.

TOC is not only biased and onesided reporting, but also just fabricated news and phantasy.

and i just recommend to point that out when posting News from TOC. that don't have to be harsh words like i would using them, just a neutral line like: TOC, the media outlet owned by Sondhi L , one of the PAD core leader, reports:

your own credibility would stay on the safe side. a win-win situation.

and i think you didn't hear it only from me, there are also others members that think that your affinity to TOC news is a little bit odd. but if you using such a small intro, the readers can decide what they think of it. only such a hint, isn't that fair.

and i didn't say to that you or others should stop using TOC news. keep coming.

My wife just had a phone call from a friend who have satelite TV and she said that Channel 5 told that all stranded tourist will get 2000 baht a day from the government, can somebody confirm this?

I only read that stranded tourists are asking for it and it seems no body knows about it. Might be the next corruption scandal, others sources report that the government does not hand out money, they pay the hotel room and that costs 2000 Baht per day. So not sure on that, fact is also that Tourists got left alone on Swampy airport and PAD feed them for free getting a lot positive feedback and recently an american on the stage who told them to fight for democracy.

why you don't go onto stage and tell the PAD they have your full support. tell such stories above, how the bad and corrupt government left poor tourist alone and don't give them any help or any food,. until they got saved by the PAD and get free carrots to eat and even entertainment. and how much you like it to fight for democracy. you will be a super star, falang yellow shirt. ALL the people of thailand will love you. the PAD stage would be the place to be to tell your stories.

I7267620-37.jpg

I7267620-38.jpg

I7267620-39.jpg

I7267620-45.jpg

The airport is rapidly turning into a street market. To me it seems like most of these people don't have a better place to sleep at home so they come to live at the airport. Sleeping on streets and under bridges seems to be the norm for this scum.

Do you make all these comments with your red shirt on rainman

And Somchai is still playing golf in Chiang Mai. :o

And for all my fellow Yanks tired of obscure Commonwealth references:

Green Acres* is the place to be

Farm living is the life for me

Land spreading out,

so far and wide

Keep Krungthep,

just give me that countryside.

*Well known CNX golfing destination for Somchai

I'm not so intelligent, so can somebody tell me what CNX means

4 gunshots heard near Don Mueang Airport

Four gunshots were heard near the protest site at the Don Mueang Airport early Monday.

No one was injured in the gunfire at 20 minutes after midnight.

Guards of the People's Alliance for Democracy saw a taxi arriving on the Vibhavadi Road near the Domestic Passenger Terminal building and a passenger lowered the window and opened fire.

The Nation

OK, i've heard\seen enough.

Right, if you (police\army) can't be bothered to do anything about this obvious TERRORISM....

I'm off....

I'm off on the 12 DEC to SOMEWHWERE ELSE to spend my money and enjoy my Xmas and New Year.

Lived in Thailand for 4 years, been back in UK for 5 years. Love LOS to bits, love Thai people to bits, but if this is the way you wanna play it...

Grow up Thailand, you are not a child, sort yourselves out and give the rest of us a call when you are adult enough to recieve guests.

Yours truly (patience worn out)

NS\