Tourist Visa

I am a Australian on an english passport with a resident return visa valid till 2013.I am coming back to Thailand 21 December I am about to go to the Thai embassy here in Brisbane to get a visa This is where I'm confused if I get a multipule entry visa say x2 does that give me 60 days after which I visit immagration get a further 30 days then go out of the country I have friends i Chang Rai so say a trip up to Mae Sai cross border for the day or few hours now on return do I then get a further 60 day's with then after that at immagration another 30 day's if so when coming back over the boarder is there any costs also read in forum about a certain time frame this all must happen in I want to really stay in Thailand for as long as possible with maybe a trip to Vietnam once Ihave to get out of country any help appreciated the visa will be tourist visa my mate in Chang Rai says this sort of visa is wrong you dont get a second 60 days

I am a Australian on an english passport with a resident return visa valid till 2013.I am coming back to Thailand 21 December I am about to go to the Thai embassy here in Brisbane to get a visa This is where I'm confused if I get a multipule entry visa say x2 does that give me 60 days after which I visit immagration get a further 30 days then go out of the country I have friends i Chang Rai so say a trip up to Mae Sai cross border for the day or few hours now on return do I then get a further 60 day's with then after that at immagration another 30 day's if so when coming back over the boarder is there any costs also read in forum about a certain time frame this all must happen in I want to really stay in Thailand for as long as possible with maybe a trip to Vietnam once Ihave to get out of country any help appreciated the visa will be tourist visa my mate in Chang Rai says this sort of visa is wrong you dont get a second 60 days

A double entry Tourist Visa will give you 2 entries of 60 days each.

Each entry can be extended for a further 30 days at Immigration.(1,900 Baht)

You may lose a day or two of your first extension as you have to make your second entry before the Visa expiry date.

Wow. I guess you were off school on the day they did punctuation. :o

Yes, you have pretty well all the details correct. A single entry tourist visa costs A$45.00 (http://www.thaiembassy.org.au/VISA_FEES.pdf) and permits you to stay up to 60 days on each entry, extensible to 90 days at any Immigration office in Thailand on application and payment of a fee of THB 1,900. When you apply for your Tourist visa at the Brisbane consulate, you can request more than one entry. Two entries (A$90.00) will be granted routinely, more than two entries will be at the discretion of the visa officer.

When your first 90 days is up, you must leave Thailand and return using your second Tourist visa entry. This is where the "Valid when used before" date comes in. This date will be stamped in your visa when issued and you must enter Thailand before this date. Normally on a single entry Tourist visa, this date is three months from the date of issue. For a double entry Tourist visa, it's normally six months from the date of issue but you should check when you receive your visa.

Immigration charges for your "visa run" will depend on the border crossing. Thailand will not charge any additional fees for your return (you have already paid for your second Tourist visa entry in Brisbane), but Myanmar, Laos and Cambodia all require visas for British nationals and you will need to pay for one either in advance or at the border. Vietnam will also require a visa.