2000 Baht A Day For Stranded Passengers!

presscamera

My wife is stranded in Bangkok due to return to Perth, she is a Thai on an Australian Passport. Does anyone know how she goes about claiming

the 2000 Baht a day for stranded Passengers! deal. Thai Airways say that they don't know anything about it. Any suggestions appreciated.

My wife is stranded in Bangkok due to return to Perth, she is a Thai on an Australian Passport. Does anyone know how she goes about claiming

the 2000 Baht a day for stranded Passengers! deal. Thai Airways say that they don't know anything about it. Any suggestions appreciated.

I dont see why they would pay you that money except if you have a very good travel insurance... but without insurance forget the money!

Its not just for business or first class, try this number, they speak English much better, sometimes it says unknown number, but keep trying.

Acting THAI president Narongsak Sangapong said there were around 6,000 leftover international passengers by Friday, and the airline has arranged lodging for stranded first- and business-class passengers. The airline advised economy-class passengers to fend for themselves.

THAT is from the president himself!

Don't forget, if the govt. was actually serious, rather than just doing the usual Taksin (PPP) publicity stunt, to subtract 25% politicians fee on top of prevailing govt. tax and sevice charge. :o

Seriously, I don't think most people will see the 2000B per day as the beuaracrats will make it nearly impossible to claim. :D

Its not just for business or first class, try this number, they speak English much better, sometimes it says unknown number, but keep trying.

Acting THAI president Narongsak Sangapong said there were around 6,000 leftover international passengers by Friday, and the airline has arranged lodging for stranded first- and business-class passengers. The airline advised economy-class passengers to fend for themselves.

So Fly Thai...and Cry

On the basis of assistance, for tourists and travellers who cannot travel to their destination as of 25 November, 2008, till the airport reopens, TAT and the Ministry of Tourism and Sports have provided accommodation and meals, as well as facilitated tourists as much as possible until they are able to return to their destination.

Conditions of Accommodation

this is from TAT

Tourists cannot reimburse the accommodation and meals for cash.

Tourists can stay in the accommodation under the condition that their costs do not exceed 2,000 Baht per day. For any excess, tourists must be responsible and pay themselves.

Tourists can only change the place of accommodation that has been arranged by THA and ATTA.

AND THE LINKTAT

So Fly Thai...and Cry.

Sorry .. Please don't count on receivng any assistance from the Thai pwers that be, they can't even control a mob taking over the airports . Hope you tell everyone you know abou how Thailand treated its guests

Sorry .. Please don't count on receivng any assistance from the Thai pwers that be, they can't even control a mob taking over the airports . Hope you tell everyone you know abou how Thailand treated its guests

Actually - If you have a ticket that shows you have had your flight home cancelled - ie. dated since this whole saga began - you can call TAT (tourism authority), and they will direct you to a hotel or give you a list of hotels that are offering the 2,000 a day compensation.

but NOT over 2000 baht, so if room and food comes to 2000 or less, then you are well within your right to claim that. This a FACT. If it comes to more than 2000, then you have to make up for that yourself. You just show your ticket and passport to reception and they settle the bill direct with the Topurist Authority. You need to renew your booking EVERY day with the reception.

You can ask TAT for details of 'participating 'hotels in different parts of Bangkok, I know the Ibis if full, however the Ambassador on soi 11(Sukhumvit) was not yet full as of Friday evening. All the TAT/hotel staff have been very friendly and apologetic.

So if you are stuck here go ahead and get a free room!

PS. I dont have the TAT number, you can find it here somewhere, it is a 4 digit one.

Good luck...

Edited by seymourvt

I think the TAT are being very generous, I could cope on 2,000 Bht a day no problem. Of course that is just living, as sleeping and food goes, not entertainment. The big problem I see is how to get the money? I am not sure tat I understand correctly.

If I have an accommodation under 2,000 Bht a day I can stay there? How do I get the money to pay for food?

Anyone who is using this offer from TAT or anyone with inside information, please let me know.

I spent most of yesterday trying to call TAT but the lines were always busy

Actually - If you have a ticket that shows you have had your flight home cancelled - ie. dated since this whole saga began - you can call TAT (tourism authority), and they will direct you to a hotel or give you a list of hotels that are offering the 2,000 a day compensation.

but NOT over 2000 baht, so if room and food comes to 2000 or less, then you are well within your right to claim that. This a FACT. If it comes to more than 2000, then you have to make up for that yourself. You just show your ticket and passport to reception and they settle the bill direct with the Topurist Authority. You need to renew your booking EVERY day with the reception.

You can ask TAT for details of 'participating 'hotels in different parts of Bangkok, I know the Ibis if full, however the Ambassador on soi 11(Sukhumvit) was not yet full as of Friday evening. All the TAT/hotel staff have been very friendly and apologetic.

So if you are stuck here go ahead and get a free room!

PS. I dont have the TAT number, you can find it here somewhere, it is a 4 digit one.

Good luck...

Am I correct in believing that all I need do is go to one of the hotels, show my ticket and they will give me a room and food up to the value of 2,000 Baht?

LOL, I was suspicious of the 2000THB from the beginning. So your entitled to the 2000THB sponsorship if you agree to stay at one of the overinflated hotels which is on the TOT corruption list. There you will pay inflated prices for a room, paying more than 150% of what the 2000THB entitlement allows for a grubby little room and of course then you will fend for yourself to inject more money into the economy for food, telephone calls and other miscellaneous items.....AND YOU WILL DO ALL OF THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE A FARANG! Farangs have an unlimited supply of money because they were farangs they are born with internal ATM machines that are linked to an endless supply of money (bit like being an executive/ceo for a large multinational co.)

.....its all a bit of a joke really, unfortunately its not a very funny joke for some people. WHAT A NATIONAL DISGRACE this has become THAILAND!

I just checked the room rates at "Ambassador Hotel" Their cheapest room is 3,411 TBH so ho can you be expected to stay under a budget of 2,000 TBH including food?

No, it is as I said - call TAT first!

Just call TAT, or ministry of tourism, and speak to them - they will explain everything, nobody mentioned looking up rates online - did they!?! It has been organized for you already, no need to engage grey matter here.

It is VERY simple, make the call they will explain, and you will be taken care of.

For example I learnt of the Ambassador hotel's participation i the scheme by actually taking the initiative to find the TAT number, then by CALLING them up. They gave me a list of hotels in the cheaper range, which I then proceeded to call up and check :

a. Parcitipation in this TAT deal

b. rates, ie. If the 2000 a day stipend covered the room and board or if there would be a shortfall for me to cover

c. Location in bkk

d. room availability at present

some were full already (Ibis hotel) some were as thick as 2 short planks (Florida Hotel in Ratchatewi), and some were easy to deal with.

I called them(Ambassador), and they informed me that they were participating in the deal, and that in this case guests were being provided with 3 FREE vouchers to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at their very nice hotel buffet for free, included in the overall rate that was being paid direct by the Thai government. If you want beer, you have to pay for that out of your own pocket.

it's really that simple. I thought that 3 full meals a day really was fairly generous. I cannot be arsed to trawl through here finding numbers for the TAT, maybe the Ministry of Tourism and Sports, or the Tourist Police, or your embassy can help you find one that is working/not busy.

ok here we go, found them:

TAT 1672

Tourism Ministry 1414

Tourist Police 1155

alternatively call the Ambassador on (02)254 0444 and speak to the reservations department - if they don't understand you - ask for Suuwaana.

hope that helps, and that you do not go without what has been made available to you.

LOL, I was suspicious of the 2000THB from the beginning. So your entitled to the 2000THB sponsorship if you agree to stay at one of the overinflated hotels which is on the TOT corruption list. There you will pay inflated prices for a room, paying more than 150% of what the 2000THB entitlement allows for a grubby little room and of course then you will fend for yourself to inject more money into the economy for food, telephone calls and other miscellaneous items.....AND YOU WILL DO ALL OF THIS BECAUSE YOU ARE A FARANG! Farangs have an unlimited supply of money because they were farangs they are born with internal ATM machines that are linked to an endless supply of money (bit like being an executive/ceo for a large multinational co.)

.....its all a bit of a joke really, unfortunately its not a very funny joke for some people. WHAT A NATIONAL DISGRACE this has become THAILAND!