Buying Tickets For Flights Originating Elsewhere

jimbim

Maybe a stupid question, I don't know.

It is generally much cheaper to buy discounted tickets in Thailand to fly return to Canada than it is to buy tickets in Canada to fly return to Thailand. I'm wondering if I can buy tickets in Thailand for flights originating in other countries.

My friend is flying her daughters from Canada to Bangkok to visit her in August. Can she buy the tickets in Thailand, then courier them to her daughters in Canada? Or is this something the airlines won't allow?

Thanks in advance.

I beg to differ with PvtDick. I have in the past year purchased tickets for my daughter to fly to Thailand. On both occasions they were purchased outside her country of departure, at the cheaper rate, and then couriered to her. It worked out a lot cheaper than the prices offered to her in Australia and is easy to do.

Just ask at the travel agents.

NL

I beg to differ with PvtDick. I have in the past year purchased tickets for my daughter to fly to Thailand. On both occasions they were purchased outside her country of departure, at the cheaper rate, and then couriered to her. It worked out a lot cheaper than the prices offered to her in Australia and is easy to do.

Just ask at the travel agents.

NL

I think you can buy regular tickets anywhere in the world and pay the local tarif. But reduced return tickets you can buy only in the land of origin and they are normally cheaper than a single way ticket. When you need an open ticket it makes sense, or you buy single way at home and a open one year return ticket in Thailand.

I think it can  depend on where you are domiciled.

A friend of mine who lives in HKG,always used to buy all his long haul international travel tickets in Thailand.

Usually the airlines would not allow a reverse ticket. Coupon 1 must be from Canada Coupon 2 from Thailand.

Some people once fly one-way, than buy cheaper from LOS R/T.

chuchok, the travel agents in HKG and Thailand have some kind of understanding to issue specials from Thailand only to local residents. (Once in a while I show my WP or visa as proof I am living here)

Some travel agents circumvent by issuing the ticket from BKK and you can throw the first voucher BKK-HKG and the last HKG-BKK away.

Or use it. A friend of mine finds it quite usefull to pick up the tickets in BKK, spend ONE NIGHT IN BKK, next day morning flight to HKG (where he is in fact in transit although can leave the airport) and same day on to USA or Europe.

A while back I needed a one way ticket from Johannesburg to Bangkok.

I checked the price and ended up buying a return, BKK-JNB-BKK

and throwing away the out bound leg.

I had booked the outward leg, but did a no show.

The airline did not object and it saved my a lot of money.

Check the prices carefully, before you decide.

I had booked the outward leg, but did a no show.

The airline did not object and it saved my a lot of money.

Be careful doing this - many airlines will cancel your reservation if you don't show up for one leg. If you do a no show for the outbound, they may cancel the return.

I had this happen to me once when the reason for not showing up for the outbound was because their connecting flight was late! :o

• 1 month later...