Unprecedented Heatwave Spurs High Power Demand in Thailand

webfact

19 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Wait till half the vehicles private and commercial are electric...

Not in Thailand. EV sales here are ramping up, but ICE sales still dominate.

IMG_2820.jpeg.b64f9229d522fcbb6543db93fa7ff5f5.jpeg.74d8e55a728d340c2e492cfc2a996d30.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

But, still have to live on the same planet, right? I also think an EV have to be charged, and also the need for electric power in home combined with the car would be quite much to carry 100% with solar.

Not really and we do it with no problem, with just an 8kW system.   Plenty of excess for the EVs while still abusing the hell out of the ACs.   Using 1000kWh a month ... no problem.

When crappy weather, overcast, and not quite enough for the house & car, we would just take the E-MB.   Haven't really needed to yet.   Others have larger systems, and if conservative with the ACs, could probably get by with a 5kWh system, although we couldn't.   Ours is just big or small enough, for a couple crappy days of weather.  Haven't needed the grid since installed.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand is in the grip of a record-breaking heatwave, driving the nation's power demand to enormous levels. The Thai Meteorological Department reported that over three dozen districts across the country's 77 provinces experienced their highest ever temperatures for April, the traditionally hottest month, with some records breaking those set in 1958.

This extreme heat has caused a surge in electricity consumption, with a record peak of 36,699 megawatts on April 29, marking the third record-breaking demand in a week.

To meet these rising demands, PTT, Thailand's state-owned energy company, has secured an emergency shipment of liquefied natural gas (LNG), with possible additional purchases being considered. LNG is mainly used for power generation in this nation.

The extreme temperatures have sparked health and safety concerns, as heat-related fatalities increase. The Ministry of Public Health has linked around 30 deaths to the heat this year. In response, residents have been cautioned to reduce outdoor activities as predictions forecast temperatures exceeding 40 degrees Celsius in many areas.

In Bangkok, the heat index, which includes humidity, hit more than 52 degrees Celsius, a level considered very dangerous, thus posing extreme discomfort and potential health hazards. Lampang, a northern province, saw the temperature soar to 44.2 degrees Celsius, only slightly below the country's all-time high of 44.6 degrees Celsius.

TOP Picture: NNT- National News Bureau of Thailand

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-02

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

If you would use Solar Power there would be no need to mention any problems with supply of electricity.

• Like 1

Here's my report from Blueport HH yesterday ..Bring your eggs and bacon and cook it on your face as soon as you enter ..if you are foolish enough to go to the 2nd hand market on the top floor bring a Sunday roast 🤔

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Not really and we do it with no problem, with just an 8kW system.   Plenty of excess for the EVs while still abusing the hell out of the ACs.   Using 1000kWh a month ... no problem.

When crappy weather, overcast, and not quite enough for the house & car, we would just take the E-MB.   Haven't really needed to yet.   Others have larger systems, and if conservative with the ACs, could probably get by with a 5kWh system, although we couldn't.   Ours is just big or small enough, for a couple crappy days of weather.  Haven't needed the grid since installed.

Great! As, I asked another poster. How much space does it require?

4 hours ago, webfact said:

To meet these rising demands, PTT, Thailand's state-owned energy company, has secured an emergency shipment of liquefied natural gas (LNG), with possible additional purchases being considered. LNG is mainly used for power generation in this nation.

Awesome 👌 news!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's using way too much of that uncommon common sense :coffee1:

Why a tropical country doesn't have solar on every rooftop is mind boggling ...

... never mind, I know why :roll:

Yeah, me too. But it's not forbidden to ask, isn't it?🙏

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

Interesting. How big are your system and how much space does it require?

This video shows my solar system and should answer most of your questions

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

If you would use Solar Power there would be no need to mention any problems with supply of electricity.

How may Thai people (peasants?) can afford al this Farang nonsense regarding Solar power and EV's!

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Chassa said:

How may Thai people (peasants?) can afford al this Farang nonsense regarding Solar power and EV's!

EV sales are taking off, shows what little you know about the subject:

Battery electric vehicles (BEVs) sales in Thailand surged by 603% year-on-year to 73,568 units last year, with the upward trend expected to continue throughout this year, as per the Federation of Thai Industries (FTI).

https://aseannow.com/topic/1321870-thai-ev-sales-surge-by-603-amid-government-incentives/

Solar is also growing a rapid rate, just open your eyes next time you go into a DIY store like Thaiwasadu

As for your “peasants” comment, electric motorbike sales are expanding with shops popping up everywhere.

Solar is also very common now for moving water on farms 

As for your “nonsense” comment you can achieve payback in 5 years which is a 20% return on your investment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

For our system, less than 40-45m² of roof.  Panels are ~2m² each, and we have 18 X 540w that will generate 9.7kWh, and Inverter will put out 8.8kWh at peak sun/performance.

image.png.2cebf38a4a21d045a0c3d1b47e2d869b.png

They have better panels, at least 640w, I think, and posted here somewhere, so would need a few less for same.

Ok, I am totally wrong. Thought it needed much more space. Love it, and will look in to it. Thanks!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

This video shows my solar system and should answer most of your questions

Thanks!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, patman30 said:

a brand new second hand car

Excuse me! What is a brand NEW SECOND HAND CAR? 😂

Didn´t you talk about the importance of words?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1