31 Flights To And From U-tapao Available Sunday: Thai Airways

george

31 flights to and from U-Tapao available Sunday: THAI

BANGKOK: -- Thai Airways International announced that it will provide 31 special flights to and from U-Tapao Airport to serve stranded tourist.

It said 18 flights will leave the airport and 13 flights will land at the airport.

It said tourists must check in at the Centara Grande Hotel at Central World five hours before departure.

Passengers, who arrive on the 13 in-bound flights, will be transferred to the Centara Grande, it said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-30

Bangkok hotels serve as airport check-in points within 2 days

BANGKOK: -- Tourist arrivals will fall by half to between six and seven million next year as a consequence of the ongoing shutdown of Bangkok's airports, which could put over a million jobs in the tourism industry at risk, said Deputy Prime Minister Olarn Chaiprawat.

After an urgent meeting with Transport Minister Weerasak Kow-surat, Deputy Foreign Minister Sompong Amornwiwat and private tourism operators yesterday, Olarn said the shutdown would have a medium-term impact on the industry.

Due to the closure of Suvarnabhumi Airport since Tuesday, he estimated that over 30,000 travellers per day would miss their flights.

Last year Thailand welcomed 14.5 million tourists. The entire industry is expected to generate Bt600 billion in annualised revenue, but the Bank of Thailand estimates a Bt140-billion shortfall due to the airport stand-off.

"Tourist arrivals this year will fall from the 15.4-million target to 13.5 million. Next year it could be only 6-7 million. This would have a serious impact on tourism and related industries such as restaurants and spas, and over one million workers could lose their jobs," he said. Olarn said it would take a month to clear all stranded tourists, who now exceeded 100,000.

Weerasak said the government was preparing international airports like Phuket and Chiang Mai for the task, aside from U-tapao airport. Some landing equipment has been transferred to these airports, and they should be ready for service in 1-2 days, he said.

Tourists can then check-in and reschedule their flights at four hotels, the Centara Grand CentralWorld, JW Marriott Sukhumvit, Asia and Maenam Riverside. Three more check-in points will be set up at the Imperial Queen's Park Hotel, the Holiday Inn Silom Hotel and the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre (Bitec) under Thai Airways International's supervision.

Foreign tourists in Thailand and Thai tourists stranded overseas will receive compensation of Bt2,000 per head per night for accommodation, food and travel. According to Olarn, if the number reaches 500,000, the government will need to spend Bt1 billion on such allowances.

Tour agencies estimate that at least 3,000 Thais could be stranded in international airports abroad.

-- The Nation 2008-11-30

10 airports nationwide ready to serve international flights

BANGKOK: -- Ten of Thailand's domestic airports nationwide are now ready to serve international commercial flights, after thousands of anti-government protesters occupied the country's two main airports, virtually crippling kingdom's air transport services, according to a senior official of the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA).

Protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) besieged Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang airports, halting all inbound and outbound flights and stranding thousands of foreign and Thai travellers since Tuesday.

Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) director-general Chaisak Angsuwan said that apart from U-Tapao International Airport, all airlines were encouraged to used other airports nationwide, including Chiang Mai, Phuket, Phitsanulok, Khon Kaen, Surat Thani, Hat Yai and Krabi airports as replacements for the two Bangkok airports.

It was reported that after U-Tapao airport, about 160 kilometres southeast of Bangkok, opened for commercial flights on Wednesday, some 50 international flights had used the facility, while the military authorities also stepped up security measures at the airport.

Mr. Chaisak, however, said he was informed by many airlines that many passengers had cancelled their flights.

Referring to some 460 Muslim pilgrims stranded at Suvarnabhumi Airport for the third night, Mr. Chaisak said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had assured Iran Air that U-Tapao can serve commercial flights and urged the airline to carry the Thai Muslims passengers on the annual hajj pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia, before December 2, the last day that Saudi Arabia allows the entrance of foreign pilgrims.

Iran Air was reportedly unsure about security at U-Tapao Airport as they thought that it was also in PAD hands.

Thai Airways International (THAI) acting president Narongsak Sangapong said the national flag carrier would arrange a special flight Friday afternoon from Hat Yai to Jeddah, taking Thai Muslim pilgrims on pilgrimage.

Air Chief Marshal Narongsak said there were some 6,000 passengers stranded by the Suvarnabhumi closure. THAI prepared seven flights Friday to carry some 1,500 stranded passengers departing from U-Tapao to their destinations.

It was expected that it would take 4-5 days to service the stranded passengers, he said.

Meanwhile, Bangkok Airways on Friday cancelled its 81 inbound and outbound flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport, and more flights were expected to be cancelled as the facility announced its closure until Saturday.

However, some Bangkok Airways flights were still operating, including inbound flights Samui-U-Tapao, Samui- Phuket, U-Tapao-Phuket and outbound flights, Samui -Hong Kong and Samui-Singapore.

-- TNA 2008-11-30

AOT chief to seek permission to fly 88 empty commercial planes from Suvarnabhumi

BANGKOK: -- Serirat Prasutanond, president of Airports of Thailand Plc, said Sunday that he will seek permission from the People's Alliance for Democracy again Sunday to retrieve 88 commercial planes left unattended at the Suvarnabhumi International Airport.

Serirat said he had tried several times earlier but failed to convince PAD leaders at the airport to allow airlines' officials to fly the empty planes from the airport.

He said airlines, which own the planes, need them to fly their passengers left stranded in several provinces around the country.

"We need to take the planes out of the airport as soon as possible for fear that the planes will be damaged," Serirat said.

-- The Nation 2008-11-30

any of the flights bound for singapore?

Can you read?

perhaps i should be more specific with my question. according to the news release, the only service bound for singapore is provided by bangkok airways that depart from samui. here is my situation, my wife brought our children,4 and 2, back to bangkok to visit her family for the school holiday on thai airways the day before the seige. as such, it will be quite a travel if they have to go to samui and then wait for a few days, if they are lucky, before they are given the seats. i meant to ask if tg provide singapore bound flight from U-Tapao.

Where are these 10 airports that might be used for international flights?

I still haven't been able to call Qatar Airways. The missus and I are due to fly to the UK tomorrow. I haven't heard anything about Qatar flying from U-Tapao or any other Thai airport though.

does anyone know if Jet airways are landing at UTP? my friend is meant to be arriving on the 3rd via Mumbai (lol) ....in london they are saying there is no problem, but Jet airways are obviously a bit shit...anyone heard anything?

So far Jet airways have been very good. He can contact two numbers

02 696 8980

02 696 8960

in India to get the latest. They had flights from UTP on 28th and I think 2 incoming and 2 outgoing on 29th, but its a day to day thing they say because they need government approval.

The problems are going back and the connecting flights, if you miss yours you have to wait in the terminal until there is a free spot and there is only one flight a day to London!

ASKING PERMISSION?????.....The AOT chief is asking permission from the domestic terrorists to retrieve their airplanes....this is so unbelievable...a country of pretty ladies and ladyboys for men....THis would have to qualify as the easiest country on earth to conquer....surprised Myanmar hasn't annexed it already....Pathetic

From the following seems as though foreign governments are starting to voice their frustration at the current situation.

Foreign govts frustrated by Thai airport siege (Qantas Airways)

BANGKOK, Nov 30 (Reuters) - Australia's foreign minister expressed

frustration on Sunday at the closure of Bangkok's international airport and said

his government was pressing Thai authorities to do more to get stranded tourists

out.

Other foreign governments are increasingly concerned at the closure of

Suvarnabhumi airport since Tuesday by political protesters as part of their

campaign to topple the government of Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

Australia's Stephen Smith said hundreds of Australians were still

stranded in Thailand and national carrier Qantas had offered to put on

additional flights to take them home.

"It's very frustrating for us and it's very frustrating for those stranded

Australians," he told Australian television.

Qantas said it will operate a special service from Phuket to Singapore on

Monday night for Australian tourists stranded in Thailand.

The Thai government is shuttling tourists to U-Tapao, a Vietnam War-era

air base 150 km (90 miles) east of Bangkok, as an alternative landing site for

airlines, but travellers have complained of long delays and confusion.

Several major Asian carriers have announced special flights to pick up

passengers and crew from U-Tapoa or other Thai airports.

China's official Xinhua news agency said on Sunday the first return

flights from Thailand reached Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou early on Sunday.

Xinhua cited estimates that over 3,500 Chinese tourists have been stranded in

Thailand.

The U.S. embassy in Bangkok said it had asked the Thai foreign ministry

to provide "appropriate compensation" to U.S. citizens stranded by the closure

of Suvarnabhumi and the older Don Muang airport, a big domestic hub.

It said "large numbers" of Americans were unable to leave Thailand and

expressed its deep concern to the Thai government.

The European Union also voiced concern in a statement issued in Bangkok

by EU ambassadors.

"While respecting the right of protesting and without interfering in any

way with the internal political debate in Thailand, the EU considers that these

actions are totally inappropriate. They are seriously damaging the

international image of Thailand," it said.

"We urge the protesters to evacuate the airports peacefully without delay

in order to avoid a major consular crisis and its economic consequences for

Thailand," it added.

Canadian Foreign Minister Lawrence Cannon called for a peaceful

resolution to the conflict and advised Canadians to stay away from areas where

protests were going on, although he noted in a statement that people were free

to move around Bangkok.

Yes, "ASKING PERMISSION", ITS LIKE ASKING Al Quada not to fly planes into buildings.... who is actually running this country now? Have i missed something? god help this place....

Thailand is already stolen from the Thais by the Chinese. And should Myanmar try to annex Thailand, the Chineseproperty owners of Thailand will defend their real estate to the last Thai. Thais never have had any say in the matter.

Foreign tourists in Thailand and Thai tourists stranded overseas will receive compensation of Bt2,000 per head per night for accommodation, food and travel. According to Olarn, if the number reaches 500,000, the government will need to spend Bt1 billion on such allowances.

Has anyone received any reports of any stranded tourists actually receiving this compensation payment? Or even reports of how to claim it?

THAI passengers required to contact offices for rerouting, rescheduling first

Thai Airways International's passengers are required to first contact the airline's offices on Vibhavadi, Lan Luang and Silom roads for rerouting and rescheduling, to ensure a seat to fly back home, an officer said.

"They just can't simply go to Centara Grand Hotel for check-in, without having their flight rerouting and rescheduling first. And now, contacting the offices in person is advised," the officer said.

She added that Frankfurt and Copenhagen are the only two European destinations that THAI would fly to. In Japan, the only destination is Narita Airport and in India, it is New Delhi. THAI would also fly to Hong Kong, Seoul, Beijing and Sydney. Seats to European destinations are now fully booked until December 3.

"They just can't simply go to Centara Grand Hotel for check-in, without having their flight rerouted and rescheduled first. And now, contacting the offices in person is advised," the officer said.

The Nation

Has anyone received any reports of any stranded tourists actually receiving this compensation payment? Or even reports of how to claim it?

You can't get compensation in cash.

You can however check into a TAT (Tourist authority of Thailand) approved and licensed hotel and rack up a bill up to 2000 Baht/day for accommodation and 3 meals a day. Anything over that budget has to be footed bu the tourist. The Hotel does not charge you, but will send the bill to TAT.

Whatever part of the 2,000 Baht which remains unused cannot be converted/redeemed in cash.

What I don't quite understand is, why they are not providing a specific "pro forma" schedule, which flights are departing from U-Tapao (doesn't matter which airline) to get a complete overview. For example a simple spreadsheet on the U-Tapao-Homepage or on the TAT-Homepage summarizing each incoming and outgoing flight an every Thai Airports theey are trying to open now for international traffic.

Moreover, I think, that each airline is just concentrating on their own passengers instead of filling the available seats completely with stranded passengers (again: doesn't matter which airline).

I was booked on Emirates this evening to depart BKK heading towards Dubai and then to Frankfurt.

Emirates still only provides flights from KL, Singapur & Hong Kong. After getting in touch with them (German office and Bangkok office), they told me, they are NOT supposed to takeover the costs for the transfer there.

You really don't know whom to get in touch with additionally (Airline? Embassy? TAT? ...?)

Anyway, hope everyone of you is ok out there. Take care and get a safe flight home!

Khun R.

does anyone know if Jet airways are landing at UTP? my friend is meant to be arriving on the 3rd via Mumbai (lol) ....in london they are saying there is no problem, but Jet airways are obviously a bit shit...anyone heard anything?

That's hilarious, you're Friend is arriving from Mumbai, <deleted> hilarious lol..

I still haven't been able to call Qatar Airways. The missus and I are due to fly to the UK tomorrow. I haven't heard anything about Qatar flying from U-Tapao or any other Thai airport though.

Check it out, they fly today U Tapao

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/bangkok-alert.html

Look at the date at the bottom. That was yesterday - though it might be fair to assume that they will also fly today and tomorrow.

What is unlcear is whether they are also flying people in. They dont mention that and still tell people to rebook or goto a different airport. must give them a call.

What I don't quite understand is, why they are not providing a specific "pro forma" schedule, which flights are departing from U-Tapao (doesn't matter which airline) to get a complete overview. For example a simple spreadsheet on the U-Tapao-Homepage or on the TAT-Homepage summarizing each incoming and outgoing flight an every Thai Airports theey are trying to open now for international traffic.

Moreover, I think, that each airline is just concentrating on their own passengers instead of filling the available seats completely with stranded passengers (again: doesn't matter which airline).

I was booked on Emirates this evening to depart BKK heading towards Dubai and then to Frankfurt.

Emirates still only provides flights from KL, Singapur & Hong Kong. After getting in touch with them (German office and Bangkok office), they told me, they are NOT supposed to takeover the costs for the transfer there.

You really don't know whom to get in touch with additionally (Airline? Embassy? TAT? ...?)

Anyway, hope everyone of you is ok out there. Take care and get a safe flight home!

Khun R.

Check out there website

http://www.emirates.com/english/sitetools/...al_updates.aspx

So far Jet airways have been very good. He can contact two numbers

02 696 8980

02 696 8960

in India to get the latest. They had flights from UTP on 28th and I think 2 incoming and 2 outgoing on 29th, but its a day to day thing they say because they need government approval.

The problems are going back and the connecting flights, if you miss yours you have to wait in the terminal until there is a free spot and there is only one flight a day to London!

Sorry correction there two phone numbers are in Thailand.

ASKING PERMISSION?????.....The AOT chief is asking permission from the domestic terrorists to retrieve their airplanes....this is so unbelievable...a country of pretty ladies and ladyboys for men....THis would have to qualify as the easiest country on earth to conquer....surprised Myanmar hasn't annexed it already....Pathetic

It is a sad state of affairs when they have to ask permission.

No wonder no-one has faith in the government any longer with such inactivity and them seeming to grovel to get anything done.

How long before PAD walk into these airports too, past the so called 'security' and paralyse the whole system?

Well it is Sunday now and Qatar Airways have helpfully shut their offices as per normal (UK) ...well done Qatar!