Bkk To Phnom Penh - Easiest Way?

AndyFarang

hi all

Anyone know the most comfortable ways to get to PP (and back, I guess) if no flights from BKK? Am due there on business for a few days late next week, cost not an issue, just dont want to face a longgg bus trip ;-)

Anyone gone by road in private car recently, any route? How are the roads, how long?

cheers

andy

Edited by AndyFarang

There has been much mention of getting to PP and then taxi/bus to BKK. Considering the state of roads/cars/safety in Cambo, I would not think this is best option. If considering PP, one might consider an internal flight to Sihanokville/Ko Kong and then bus/taxi/boat to BKK. From Ko Kong border area, the drive to Bangkok is 5-6 hours.

I think a more viable obtion is getting to either KUL, Penang, or Hat Yai and then arranging land transportation to Bangkok from there. Much more options from those places than in PP.

Guess the most comfortable way is by private car or Taxi. I drove the route via Trat /Koh Kong a couple of times and also the Poipet Route. I prefer now to drive via Koh Kong even if this is a bit more far km wise(if you come from Bangkok), all the bridges are finish and no need to wait for a ferry anymore. The last time i drove this way was a month ago and the road was in a very good condition. Took me just a bit over 3 hours to drive from PP to Koh Kong (but I left PP around. 4am ;-) From Trat to bkk it's about 5 hours drive.

I think it's possible to get a private car at the border to drive to PP but don't know how much they charge these days.

Also the Ko kong border crossing is much better than the Shi%&hole Poipet, also much less people there.

There has been much mention of getting to PP and then taxi/bus to BKK. Considering the state of roads/cars/safety in Cambo, I would not think this is best option. If considering PP, one might consider an internal flight to Sihanokville/Ko Kong and then bus/taxi/boat to BKK. From Ko Kong border area, the drive to Bangkok is 5-6 hours.

I think a more viable obtion is getting to either KUL, Penang, or Hat Yai and then arranging land transportation to Bangkok from there. Much more options from those places than in PP.

The major roads/cars/safety to the border are quite safe , unlike Thailand even if the roads are better , the rest of it is untrue , do not read all the time of bus accidents killing/maiming people or bus crews indiscriminately robbing passengers on a large scale . Yes Cambodia has corruption , but it is aimed mostly at the locals not the tourists , the people are far more friendly and easier to get along with , they also speak and understand English way better , even the street kids on the river-side can carry a conversation .

What is with people like John Doe ??????????

I have just asked the very same question at the travel desk downstairs, we are due to fly BKK to PNH next Friday and it is now time to find Plan B.

- Bus or Taxi to the border, Poipet / Ananya Prathet, arrive 12:00.

- Cross the border

- Bus to Siem Reap

- One night in Siem Reap

- Next day Bus or Boat to Phnom Penh

The lady said that Phnom Penh is not possible overland in one day.

Can anybody confirm this or add any more info.

Cheers

Dave..

ps - The girlfriend gets carsick easily

Edited by davee58

I would suggest you consider the "southern" route I (and others) have suggested instead. That is to go south to the border crossing area of Trad/Ko Kong and from there, make your way up to PP.

Overall, the time involved will likely be the same but it might be an easier journey. The border crossing at Trat/Ko Kong is not congested and doesn't have the atmosphere of a UN refugee like Poipet (it is also much less crowded and quicker). Also, the hotels, if you have to overnite, are cheaper in Sihanookville than Siam Riep. I beleive there is also a rather new road that has been completed between Sihanookville and PP so would make for a smoother journey that the route from Poipet to PP.

I would suggest you consider the "southern" route I (and others) have suggested instead. That is to go south to the border crossing area of Trad/Ko Kong and from there, make your way up to PP.

Overall, the time involved will likely be the same but it might be an easier journey. The border crossing at Trat/Ko Kong is not congested and doesn't have the atmosphere of a UN refugee like Poipet (it is also much less crowded and quicker). Also, the hotels, if you have to overnite, are cheaper in Sihanookville than Siam Riep. I beleive there is also a rather new road that has been completed between Sihanookville and PP so would make for a smoother journey that the route from Poipet to PP.

Thanks,

Any idea on timings / costs from Bangkok. I seem to remember that Phnom Penh to Sihanoukvill was three (or five) hours by bus. But that was a long time ago.

Any idea on timings / costs from Bangkok. I seem to remember that Phnom Penh to Sihanoukvill was three (or five) hours by bus. But that was a long time ago.

Bangkok to Trat border crossing about 5-6 hours (one poster above states total drive time of only 8 hours for BKK-Trat-PP route). If going by bus, check times at Ekamai bus station or check with travel agent for private bus/van trip to Sihanokville.

Edited by MeetJohnDoe

There is a mini bus service that picks up on Kaosan road , takes you to the border at Trat , walk across the border and another mini bus takes you to Sihanook-ville , gets you in early evening , i had their paper but have searched and cannot locate it , cost was $25.00 .I book in to Mealy-chenda guest house on Clifton hill , good clean room for $12.00 and an excellant fair price restaraunt that closes 11 pm , opens 6.00 am for breakfast . The guest house will book you a ticket for next morning bus to Phnom Penh $4.00 takes 4 1/2 hours with a break half way(there by early pm) . Good reports of hotel in PP is Flamingos close to centre Market , not far from the bus station , have their own downstairs restaraunt with good food $25.00 a night .

Hope this helps , have a good trip .

one can do it whithin 24 hrs-this assuems you use the NIGHTBus BKK (Ekamai or Mochit2) to TRAT-dep around 23.00/23.30.

to Trat-minibus to border-cross over

there is reputedly now a daily bus from right at border to PnPn-old 2nd hand bus-private

a better bus lvs from Koh Kong ''city'' at 8.00-direct in 4-5 hrs to PnPn-good bus, cost 11-12 US$, add 2 US$ for the motodop border-KKg.

Thus: dep BKK 23.00-Trat 5.30-6.00-border 7.00-bus to pnPn @ 8.00-arr around 13.00 there. total cost (escl visa) 250+120 bt+2+11US$=best to have those US$ with you for Camb-though they will likely also take THB at 40/US$

more info: talesofasia.com or canbypublications.com (all Camb buses)-and again it seems the low-budget backpackers know more as the flying around bisnis-set?

If the situation is solved by next week, I may drive down to Trat from Pattaya to meet some friends coming from Cambodia.

Are there any hotels in Trat I could stay at, I dont fancy driving 10 hours in a day so would go the night before?

Lonely Planet suggests I stay on Koh Chang. I would not mind that if I thought I could park the car safely overnight somewhere.

Thanks for any advice.

Guess the most comfortable way is by private car or Taxi. I drove the route via Trat /Koh Kong a couple of times and also the Poipet Route. I prefer now to drive via Koh Kong even if this is a bit more far km wise(if you come from Bangkok), all the bridges are finish and no need to wait for a ferry anymore. The last time i drove this way was a month ago and the road was in a very good condition. Took me just a bit over 3 hours to drive from PP to Koh Kong (but I left PP around. 4am ;-) From Trat to bkk it's about 5 hours drive.

I think it's possible to get a private car at the border to drive to PP but don't know how much they charge these days.

Also the Ko kong border crossing is much better than the Shi%&hole Poipet, also much less people there.

Did you actually drive the route, or were you driven? I was told there were issues around getting your private car over the border . .

I'm in the same boat as Andy. I've got to get to PP on Saturday/Sunday returning on Wed/Thursday this week and am urgently trying to look at my options.

F*****G PAD

Same dilemma but a bit more complex - I'm catching the bus tomorrow at 5am to Poipet cross border and travel down to Battambang on the bus, stay there one night then onto Pnomn Penh for one night, down to HCMC for 1 night then fly back to work in Hanoi - anyone got any better suggestions?

Cheers

Bkk- Koh Kong 8.00-17.00

then stay overnight in guest house [ fan room ]

Next morning

Koh Kong - Phanompenh

9.00- 15.00

1500 Baht all inc.

Koh Kong looks ony a couple of hundred kilometers away from Phnom Penh on the map. Why does it take six hours to get there?

How much would a taxi from the border to Phnom Penh cost?

driving into Cambodia with ur car is a piece of cake IF its ur car and u have the blue book. I brought my car over in July and have it up here in PP with no troubles

Yu show thailand ur blue book and then your free to leave thailand after some paper work. Supposed to be out only 1 month but have been told that when i drvie the car back m( maybe March or so) that i will be fined 1,000 baht, lets hope so.

After you enter Cambodia they ask you how long you will stay and they charge you 100 baht/day. I told them 6 and was in. Note you only supposed to go to Koh Krong but.......

Driving with a thai car is not to bad here execpt when u want to pass and be aware PP is a real mess but safer in a car than on a bike

I did the journey by road last month - left PP at 6.30am got to poipet at 11.30 in a private taxi - 2000 baht, then got taxi to bangkok at 12.30pm 2000 baht, was there by 4pm, roads were fine all the way in Cambo - cheap and cheerful if u have a family or friends all travelling wanting to save money

Bkk- Koh Kong 8.00-17.00

then stay overnight in guest house [ fan room ]

Next morning

Koh Kong - Phanompenh

9.00- 15.00

1500 Baht all inc.

Koh Kong looks ony a couple of hundred kilometers away from Phnom Penh on the map. Why does it take six hours to get there?

How much would a taxi from the border to Phnom Penh cost?

did it just got back to Hanoi - 200bht bus to Trat from Ekkamai - Songthaew to border from Trat Bus station 100 bht - (Taxi direct to PP $40, 3hrs, Bus $9 4.5hrs) Border guards would'nt except $ so had to give them 1000bht - taxi to koh kong city hotel - $10 - 1 night in nice hotel - $15 - Bus to PP $13 (through hotel, $9 if you go direct to the company - 5 mins walk - something like R. Mithy travel)

• 3 weeks later...

i am thinking of driving to pp/shin form bkk tomorrow. i had got great info on the forum earlier and wanted to find out a bit more about this blue book.

i have a company provided car, and i have all the paperwork they gave me but i do not know if this includes the blue book. will using a company provided car cause me border hassles? or will it be considered 'my' vehicle and allow me to pass without problems?

thanks in advance for any help

k man

driving into Cambodia with ur car is a piece of cake IF its ur car and u have the blue book. I brought my car over in July and have it up here in PP with no troubles

Yu show thailand ur blue book and then your free to leave thailand after some paper work. Supposed to be out only 1 month but have been told that when i drvie the car back m( maybe March or so) that i will be fined 1,000 baht, lets hope so.

After you enter Cambodia they ask you how long you will stay and they charge you 100 baht/day. I told them 6 and was in. Note you only supposed to go to Koh Krong but.......

Driving with a thai car is not to bad here execpt when u want to pass and be aware PP is a real mess but safer in a car than on a bike