Turned Around At The Border

I was refused entry into Thailand coming from Laos via the Friendship Bridge a couple of months ago. I had to go back to Vientiane and buy a tourist visa for my 5 day Thai visit. What happened to "visa on arrival"? I have a USA passport, and live and work in Laos. I would like to go to Thailand for short visits on a regular basis, but I cannot afford to buy a tourist visa every time(not to mention the 2+ hour wait at the consulate in a room where we were not allowed to talk). Is "visa on arrival" finished at the borders, or was the Thai immigration officer just having a bad day?

a couple of months ago?

Had you been in Thailand more than 90 days in the preceding 6 months?

you also mean Visa exempt entry not visa on arrival.

I was on a Non B visa for Thailand till it ran out, moved to Laos and tried to visit Thailand 1 month later.

The immigration officer just asked where my visa was, I said I didn't have one, so I was sent back to Laos.

Must of been the immigration officer was having a very bad day or didn't know what he/she was doing.

I would try again because their is absolutely no rule that would keep you from entering the country.

Edited by ubonjoe

Well it's just good to see that the immigration folks are doing their best to insure that the predicted 50% drop in tourist arrivals for the coming year comes to pass :o

Really, if someone is residing in Laos and wishes to visit (and spend money in Thailand for a few days) they are hardly likely to have a plane ticket out of Thailand (back to Laos)...maybe a bus ticket or a pair of sneakers to get them across the Friendship Bridge and back home!

You are not eligible for Visa exempt entry unless you have an air ticket out of Thailand. This has always been the case but historically had not generally been applied at land borders.

Guess all who come overland now with an air ticket have to be fefused entry, as the airports are closed, invalidating the ticket ...

Sunny

Immigration does not ask for a ticket at any airport. I have never been asked for one and never heard of anyone being asked for one. The same goes for the borders.

The OP was not asked for a ticket he was asked for a visa which was wrong. The immigration officer was wrong because he/she was using the 90 day rule that only applies to visa exempt entries.