P A D -bkk Protesters Aim To ‘re-educate’ Rural Thais

LaoPo

to blame the present or last 2 or 3 governments is only partly correct as ALL of the past governments are to be blamed.

That's exactly the problem of Thailand. The ruling elites PREVENTED proper education for the rural poor

LaoPo - who were the ruling elites for the past ten twenty years?

When was the last blue blood Bangkokian in power in this country?

"Make up your minds, people" line. Hey, guess what - they're individuals with shades and differences of thought.

I don't see shades - they are coming from comlpletely opposite sides.

With Tig I think it was just a misunderstanding.

YH keeps plugging the same "vote buying doesn't matter" propaganda over and over again. Yeah, right there's no money involved in Thai politics, who would have thought? It's all policies and ideology.

Original lunacy by Giles, copyrighted.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

to blame the present or last 2 or 3 governments is only partly correct as ALL of the past governments are to be blamed.

That's exactly the problem of Thailand. The ruling elites PREVENTED proper education for the rural poor

Don't bring royalty into this discussion Plus although you try to hide it with ''blue blood'' !

"Elite" is NOT necessarily blue blood and you know it. You can do better than that.

LaoPo

Don't bring royalty into this discussion Plus although you try to hide it with ''blue blood'' !

"Elite" is NOT necessarily blue blood and you know it. You can do better than that.

LaoPo

WE go back to a discussion we had a year or two here- what do we mean when we say elites- I think Plus is correct on this one- that elites does NOT mean royalty- it means aristocracy- bluebloods- and legitimate for discussion. As far as who among the 'elites' held power- elites don't need to be the face of power- only the force behind the face- and in that respect- rarely have the elites been OUT of power. Again, we have to consider the historic role of the military in defending the traditional landowners in a feudal society. And the role of the beaurocrats in determining who is allowed a place at the table- and under what obligations.

I've been caught between a rock and a hard place.

On one side Tig disagrees that vote buying is accepted as a norm in "Isan", on the other hand seemingly educated Younghusband argues that vote buying is not a sin in Thailand's democracy.

Make up your minds, people.

Even allowing for the now very familiar selection/twisting of what people say to suit your own ends, you give yourself away with the "Make up your minds, people" line. Hey, guess what - they're individuals with shades and differences of thought. That really shouldn't be such an alien concept for you to grasp.

To give you your due, you do at least put on some show of answering opposing points. I wish there were more like you and Animatic to state your case. All in all, the discussion in these threads has largely descended to a depressing cross between a kindergarten scrap and a drunken shouting match.

I was castigated by a certain individual who wears a mask to hide his identity for doing just that , voicing my own opinion , he even açcused me of being 'Anti Thai , what then is a discussion with only one side ? Ah , stated the politician adressing an empty hall

"And may i add without fear of contradictoin------"

Just read the Nation article but I don't get this line where he argues about class differences that:

Thailand does not inherently suffer from this problem. Its more a problem of social status and income distribution

Well it seems that a low social status and poor positioning in income distribution go hand in hand with being low class, but this article is basically just a rejection of the word 'class' not a very broad subject for an article.

I think that what the author means is that nurture and environment have zero impact on the choices and opportunities available to people. And that those who suffer poverty in Thailand- deserve to: they have chosen poverty as a result of a character flaw- A contempitble and insensitive view that attempts to rationalize the exploitation of poor people by rich- but nor surprising. It's not uncommon among more reactionary and ignorant people in the west.

PAD - Bangkok Protesters Aim to 'Re-educate' Rural Thais

Is there no limit to the PAD delusions??

The only way to "re-educate" people who don't want to be "re-educated," is by FORCE, namely the police or military or some other organization.

The police and military either weren't allowed or didn't have the intestinal fortitude to break up a few-1000 PAD at the airport protests.

But somehow, magically, if PAD power-brokers have their way, police or military force could be used to FORCE "re-education" upon MILLIONS of up-country Thai citizens.

Gimme a break! Such thoughts are positively delusional!

Whatever happened to tolderance, mai bpen rai, live and let live?

Do you actually believe this diatribe, or have you got so focussed and stuck in your one-sided argument that such comments self eminate?

I'd suggest that your / the Plebs Against Democracy's presumption that people that don't vote 'your way' are stupid and in need of re-education is somewhat flawed.

By ' dont vote your way', you must mean ' taking money for votes', as that's the issue here?

Some people are selling their votes, and yes those people should or be excluded or re-educated.

Seems fair to me.

So, you believe that the PPP crowd buy votes and are thus corrupt - I agree, it's wrong in my viewpoint too.

You also believe that the Dems don't? That the PAD actually want democracy? That they are somehow purer and better than the other side? That the Dems deals with the PAD and the army are somehow democratic?

I spent a couple of very interesting hours in a museum, not so far from the constitution monument, today. It is very clear who the PAD are and how the group of army / elites / other has controlled this country since the 30's. Thaksin was bad, in my opinion, but the masses started to be really involved in politics for the first time. - You want the original group to 're-educate' them out of politics again... very sad...

But, unlike you and your ilk, I respect other people's right to a differing viewpoint, and I don't feel the need to re-educate them to my viewpoint.

The upside is; once the democracy genie is out of the bottle it cannot be put back in. Thus, even though it will take time, and may be very unpleasant in the process, the PAD can never actually win (all they can do is keep their little rich group in control of the money and power for a littlle while longer).

Edited by jasreeve17

I would be surprised if there is any country with a big rural population that works as a democracy, if you want a democracy in Thailand you are going to have build up the middle class and if that means not having a full democracy in the meantime thats the way it is

No end of entertainment on TV! These are the very things that infuriate the "rural population".

Oh those misterious elites, they are always lurking somewhere in the shadows, unnamed, unnoticed. Difficult to pinpoint, and anyone caught out in the open can immediately disassossiate himself from them.

The simple, undeniable fact is that people at the top of political power ARE elites, too. And people at the top of political and economic power for most of the recent history here were NOT blue blooded descendants of aristocrats, but self made, ambitious individuals who achieved their position due to their hard work and dedication, from Chuan to Thaksin and back to Chavalit and Banharn. Thai Chinese who control most of the economy rose to their position in the space of one or two generations, too.

That's what Thanong has been trying to tell you - being born a member of a certain class doesn't not preclude one from reaching the elite status here.

There is PLENTY of upward movement, there are so many success stories that talking about class struggle doesn't make any sense. You've got abilities and ambitions - you will get anything you desire and deserve. Nobody is holding you back.

Surayud was a son of a dead communist, for christsakes, and he rose to the position of the Supreme Commander and a Privy Councilor. He couldn't have any worse "leg up" in this country and there are vere few positions higher than that.

I would be surprised if there is any country with a big rural population that works as a democracy, if you want a democracy in Thailand you are going to have build up the middle class and if that means not having a full democracy in the meantime thats the way it is

No end of entertainment on TV! These are the very things that infuriate the "rural population".

Some kind of balance against the overwelming power of the rich (who buy the army and civil servants and propaganda machines and...) is required which is very often (and most smoothly) the growth of the middle classes.

That's not the only way though, the middle classes weren't too huge in France. (Not my preferred solution, I hasten to add.)

Uneducated folks are frequently too easily fooled by propaganda, nationalism, other, etc. But, the Thais are pretty wise to the goings on in Bangkok, in my opinion, and the PAD ('plus their ilk' - my new slogan...) need to tread very carefully. On the downside, thae army showed in 1973 exactly what they are capable of doing - have they changed? I personally doubt it.

Oh those misterious elites, they are always lurking somewhere in the shadows, unnamed, unnoticed. Difficult to pinpoint, and anyone caught out in the open can immediately disassossiate himself from them.

The simple, undeniable fact is that people at the top of political power ARE elites, too. And people at the top of political and economic power for most of the recent history here were NOT blue blooded descendants of aristocrats, but self made, ambitious individuals who achieved their position due to their hard work and dedication, from Chuan to Thaksin and back to Chavalit and Banharn. Thai Chinese who control most of the economy rose to their position in the space of one or two generations, too.

That's what Thanong has been trying to tell you - being born a member of a certain class doesn't not preclude one from reaching the elite status here.

There is PLENTY of upward movement, there are so many success stories that talking about class struggle doesn't make any sense. You've got abilities and ambitions - you will get anything you desire and deserve. Nobody is holding you back.

Surayud was a son of a dead communist, for christsakes, and he rose to the position of the Supreme Commander and a Privy Councilor. He couldn't have any worse "leg up" in this country and there are vere few positions higher than that.

The OP's point was that every child from rural poor's background could make it into the elite...

MY point was that a poor farmer isn't even able to send his son/daughter to university or military academy, let alone that that child is going to make it into the elite.

Your example Surayud doesn't make sense since he was born into an influential -military- family, not from a rural poor farmer's. His grandfather even studied in Germany at a military academy. Hardly a poor farmer's son... :o

It would be interesting to learn if all the examples the OP writer mentioned are of such poor background as he's trying to believe his readers.

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

You're right - individuals do have the chance to prosper through their hard work and motivation.

But, we are not talking about individuals, we are talking about a population class divide which is deliberately kept that way by a powerful minority. - the army, the lawcourts, propaganda, nationalism and manipulating politics are some of their mechanisms.

The 1930's 'revolution' was not a mass population 'French style' revolution. It was powerful groups within the ruling classes (who had come from ultra rich families and been educated abroad), close to, but not right at the top, who wanted to transfer more direct power and wealth to themselves, namely; PADites - landowners, military dynasties, 'blue bloods' (known as the elites to many). These families are alive and kicking today, seventy years later (joined by some rich Chinese 'traders'), and they still have no regard for the Thai populous.

"But democracy itself was in effect dead" ... YOU SEE DEMOCRACY WAS DEAD THROUGH THE ACTIONS OF AN UNELECTED MINORITY AND CHAOS RULES AND IN THIS CASE YOU GET ----HITLER !!,

That is true. But it was still democracy that paved the way.

Here is my original argument again. In Europe, countries introduced democracy step by step over a span of more than a hundred year, and they are now all free and successful democracies.

When countries adopt full-fledged democracy too quickly things are often turning out badly. Thailand is not an exception. Look at Russia for instance. Since democracy was installed in the beginning of the 90's, it is now becoming less and less democratic every year.

Since you are actually reading my links, I recommend you to read this one:

The Rise of Illiberal Democracy by Fareed Zakaria

Do you actually believe this diatribe, or have you got so focussed and stuck in your one-sided argument that such comments self eminate?

I'd suggest that your / the Plebs Against Democracy's presumption that people that don't vote 'your way' are stupid and in need of re-education is somewhat flawed.

By ' dont vote your way', you must mean ' taking money for votes', as that's the issue here?

Some people are selling their votes, and yes those people should or be excluded or re-educated.

Seems fair to me.

The only thing your claim does --- is underline how little you actually understand about Thailand

Needless to say any and all forms of corruption are one of the MAJOR and very real problems damaging this country. One can but hope that the seemingly universal acceptance of corruption can be corrected ---- for the benefit of Thailand.

But your continuing claims that "vote buying" invalidated the outcome of the election is not supported by the facts. If you care to check the results of the by-elections held under strict EC supervision in all areas where candidates were "carded" by the EC for such practices---you will find that (most/all --?) the "carded" candidates were confirmed and reelected---- In every case the "vote buying" had not "perverted" the outcome as is continually claimed by yourself and your friends. Why do this without any factual back up !!!

NOTE: I say "most/all" as I do not claim to have checked EVERY result ---- but this WAS the case in the first 10 cases I tracked down. This is NOT definitive ---- but it is a convincing indication......

But your continuing claims that "vote buying" invalidated the outcome of the election is not supported by the facts[/b]. If you care to check the results of the by-elections held under strict EC supervision in all areas where candidates were "carded" by the EC for such practices---you will find that (most/all --?) the "carded" candidates were confirmed and reelected---- In every case the "vote buying" had not "perverted" the outcome as is continually claimed by yourself and your friends. Why do this without any factual back up !!!

Even in red-carded and yellow-carded by-elections, violations such as vote-buying still occur. Any number of by-elections have been followed by....... by-elections :o..... as the rule-breaking continued in the first by-election. I recall a by-election that was repeated 5 times before the EC was finally satisfied that the infractions were down to a tolerable level.

You're right - individuals do have the chance to prosper through their hard work and motivation.

But, we are not talking about individuals, we are talking about a population class divide which is deliberately kept that way by a powerful minority. - the army, the lawcourts, propaganda, nationalism and manipulating politics are some of their mechanisms.

The 1930's 'revolution' was not a mass population 'French style' revolution. It was powerful groups within the ruling classes (who had come from ultra rich families and been educated abroad), close to, but not right at the top, who wanted to transfer more direct power and wealth to themselves, namely; PADites - landowners, military dynasties, 'blue bloods' (known as the elites to many). These families are alive and kicking today, seventy years later (joined by some rich Chinese 'traders'), and they still have no regard for the Thai populous.

I generally agree.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any other options in Thailand yet.

It's either one group's manipulations or those of another. And often players will switch groups when it benefits them.

This won't likely change for a long time.

I generally agree.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any other options in Thailand yet.

It's either one group's manipulations or those of another. And often players will switch groups when it benefits them.

This won't likely change for a long time.

True. And this switching between groups sums up their love for money over their lack of respect for the political process. That's why when the PAD (or PPP) come out with their idealogical lies it shocks me that some folk actually believe it.

If we simply split the groups between the PAD and PPP then I'd say that the PPP mob have no regard for anybody, but don't care if the poor gets richer and more educated (as long as they personally prosper), whereas the PAD mob have no regard for anybody, but very much wish to inhibit the poor getting richer and more educated (as they see as imperative the keeping of the social divide, with them at the top, of course).

For the above reason I consider the PAD to be the worse of the two evils, by some distance.

we are not talking about individuals, we are talking about a population class divide which is ....

In the past twenty someting years MILLIONS of Thais from lower classes elevated themselves and their families to at least a solid middle class status so yes, we are not talking about individuals.

True. And this switching between groups sums up their love for money over their lack of respect for the political process. That's why when the PAD (or PPP) come out with their idealogical lies it shocks me that some folk actually believe it.

If we simply split the groups between the PAD and PPP then I'd say that the PPP mob have no regard for anybody, but don't care if the poor gets richer and more educated (as long as they personally prosper), whereas the PAD mob have no regard for anybody, but very much wish to inhibit the poor getting richer and more educated (as they see as imperative the keeping of the social divide, with them at the top, of course).

For the above reason I consider the PAD to be the worse of the two evils, by some distance.

Me too. Very well put. Two evils, one less so.

we are not talking about individuals, we are talking about a population class divide which is ....

In the past twenty someting years MILLIONS of Thais from lower classes elevated themselves and their families to at least a solid middle class status so yes, we are not talking about individuals.

No wonder, then, that the PADites are getting so worried, and have decided to take affirmative action to hinder this healthy development before it infringes on their 'right' to 'run' the country...

There has certainly been evidence of movement upwards in the last thirty years or so.That's why it's so odd that people like you constantly talk about rural Thailand, particularly the NE, as a lumpen unmoving block populated by stupid and uneducated peasants.It just doesn't make any sense as your more recent post makes clear.However that doesn't mean class divisions aren't significant.Partly this is because economic improvement and urban living are rapidly eroding the Thai habit of deference and partly because resentment,anger and violence historically happen when things are getting better not when they are static or getting worse -as students of de Toqueville are well aware.The majority of Thais have seen how fascist thugs in the PAD have achieved short term aims through intimidation and violence.The lessons will no doubt be well digested.Sow the wind - reap the whirlwind.

For six years upcountry people, who take all their news only from government run TV channels, have been brainwashed into believing that Thaksin is the only man in this country who cares about them, that Democrats have never done anything for the poor, that Bangkokians are enemies of Isanese and so on.

For six years ANY alternative view of Thai politics have been banned from Thai media, so yes, it's time for little re-education.

ASTV has done wonders for opening eyes of the people in its first year, now it's time for mainstream journalism to step up to the plate as well.

NBT is simply pathetic, and it's a government channel that belongs to all Thais and is funded by all taxpayers, unlike Sondhi's owned ASTV.

Fully agree, but it will still take a long way to go.

And the biggest drop in the number of people classed as living in poverty by the World Bank, came during Taxsin's tenure as Prime Minister.

www.worldbank.org

Pol Pot would have been thrilled. However, comments about the great unwashed should finally shock some of the misguided "progressive" charities and unions in the west that had initially expressed sympathy to PAD. Once reports like this combined with the tales of returning stranded tourists hit the wire services and foreign TV news stations, Thailand will be seen in a very negative light.

Good work PAD and military backers. No one humiliates and denigrates the country as well as you buffoons do.

You're most probably right, however on the long run, it will be good for our country. We are trying to get rid of corruption and clearly the rurals have no knowledge or education to understand any of this, they will vote for anyone that can provide them with a little more money and some form of medical assistance.

What we should be doing is educating these people, as unlike many countries in the west, most of them don't really learn anything from school due to the lack of good system and government support. How would you expect them to make the right decisions? I understand the middle class when they want their votes to matter more, they simply know whats best for the country as a whole, they know more about whats going on outside of Thailand.

I've talked to many living in rural areas and clearly they don't know and aren't bothered with knowing (no need to as for them, their are the "more important" people are expected to do the thinking for them). Unfortunately, they are the majority in Thailand so let me ask you this: would you trust in the political decisions made by these people? Knowing that all you need is 1 filthy rich elite to pretty much brainwash them into voting for him. Would be very unfair for all of us if someone can take over the whole nation just with a bag of cash now wouldn't it?

The western concept of "Democracy" is not at all suited for Thailand, simply because people are not educated equally here and because of this hierarchy thing we have in our society. Each country should have their own unique form of governance that is dependent on the nations education, population, landscape, infrastructure, ecosystem, economy, and much much more! Democracy is definitely not the best and most heavenly form of governance, everything has pros & cons.

For six years upcountry people, who take all their news only from government run TV channels, have been brainwashed into believing that Thaksin is the only man in this country who cares about them, that Democrats have never done anything for the poor, that Bangkokians are enemies of Isanese and so on.

For six years ANY alternative view of Thai politics have been banned from Thai media, so yes, it's time for little re-education.

ASTV has done wonders for opening eyes of the people in its first year, now it's time for mainstream journalism to step up to the plate as well.

NBT is simply pathetic, and it's a government channel that belongs to all Thais and is funded by all taxpayers, unlike Sondhi's owned ASTV.

Fully agree, but it will still take a long way to go.

You two sound like one of those; 'I love fox news - everything else is evil...'

I agree that MrT heavily abused media and tried very hard to block other voices, but ASTV 'has done wonders for opening eyes of the people'? Oh please, it's the same crap from the other polarized side.

I'd love to see some top-notch, free and open journalism in Thailand, but whilst reporters are murdered for attempting to do this (by MrT, rich Bkk families, army, police, in fact anybody with enough influence and money), I doubt it'll happen any time soon. The police are a fundamental barrrier to many social building blocks - you don't like the free-speaking journalist? Pay a policeman to kill him, only 10,000 baht, no questions asked.

Before moving here I worked in broadcasting, expensive equipment sold directly to broadcasters. I saw all the major Thai networks / broadcasters and I can tell you that whenever it got down to decission time the generals got rolled out to sign the cheques. This tells me that the army (read PAD, 'old money', feudal lords...) control the main media in Thailand, not MrT or anyone else - the army.

As for Plus's comments on 're-education', again, step back, take a deep breath and read it objectively - it's awful wording / sentiment.

Pol Pot would have been thrilled. However, comments about the great unwashed should finally shock some of the misguided "progressive" charities and unions in the west that had initially expressed sympathy to PAD. Once reports like this combined with the tales of returning stranded tourists hit the wire services and foreign TV news stations, Thailand will be seen in a very negative light.

Good work PAD and military backers. No one humiliates and denigrates the country as well as you buffoons do.

You're most probably right, however on the long run, it will be good for our country. We are trying to get rid of corruption and clearly the rurals have no knowledge or education to understand any of this, they will vote for anyone that can provide them with a little more money and some form of medical assistance.

What we should be doing is educating these people, as unlike many countries in the west, most of them don't really learn anything from school due to the lack of good system and government support. How would you expect them to make the right decisions? I understand the middle class when they want their votes to matter more, they simply know whats best for the country as a whole, they know more about whats going on outside of Thailand.

I've talked to many living in rural areas and clearly they don't know and aren't bothered with knowing (no need to as for them, their are the "more important" people are expected to do the thinking for them). Unfortunately, they are the majority in Thailand so let me ask you this: would you trust in the political decisions made by these people? Knowing that all you need is 1 filthy rich elite to pretty much brainwash them into voting for him. Would be very unfair for all of us if someone can take over the whole nation just with a bag of cash now wouldn't it?

The western concept of "Democracy" is not at all suited for Thailand, simply because people are not educated equally here and because of this hierarchy thing we have in our society. Each country should have their own unique form of governance that is dependent on the nations education, population, landscape, infrastructure, ecosystem, economy, and much much more! Democracy is definitely not the best and most heavenly form of governance, everything has pros & cons.

I haven't noticed your posts before, and I don't realy know what to say. Elements that stood out are:-

Them / us. They uneducated. They stupid. We need to educate them. They don't learn anything from school. They don't know what's best, we do. Ruralites don't know. These people can't make political decisions. They aren't suited to democracy, they're not educated enough - I am.

It's also very easy to complain about others getting free medical treatment when you are driving to Sirrirat in your BMW because you want an unsightly wart removed.

(I'm particularly disgusted at this hateful way of thinking which is oh too common among many Bangkokions and anti-Thaksinites. The mother of one of my friends has just had two operations on her eyes, and she can now see again for the first time in thirty years. She paid two hundred baht in medicines. The 20,000 plus baht costs would have been impossible for her. I'm very pleased that some of my tax money is used to medically support those less fortunate than myself.)

Your post saddens me Sir. I very much worry about the 'unique form of governance' that you'd choose to implement. I don't mean to be flippant, but coincidentally enough I watched the Killing Fields today.

What we should be doing is educating these people, as unlike many countries in the west, most of them don't really learn anything from school due to the lack of good system and government support. How would you expect them to make the right decisions?

I agree that those attending even the highest thai learning institutions are incapable of making the right decisions (according to my Godly thinking) therefore nobody shall have a vote and we (I) the army (General Whoever) will rule instead. :D:o

I agree that MrT heavily abused media and tried very hard to block other voices, but ASTV 'has done wonders for opening eyes of the people'?

You missed "in the first year". There was a real hunger for alternative news then, and much less propaganda.

You can say it was still slanted, but the important point is that people realised that no news should be trusted just because it's out there. The very first step in critical thinking.

I agree that MrT heavily abused media and tried very hard to block other voices, but ASTV 'has done wonders for opening eyes of the people'?

You missed "in the first year". There was a real hunger for alternative news then, and much less propaganda.

You can say it was still slanted, but the important point is that people realised that no news should be trusted just because it's out there. The very first step in critical thinking.

Sorry - your 'ASTV has done wonders for opening eyes of the people in its first year' confused me into thinking you meant now.

Plus, your habit of cutting specific words / parts and using them in a manipulative way (changing tense in this case), is that what you call 'critical thinking'?

ASTV is pure progaganda, as per FoxNews. Fullstop. Also, the army control the tv media in Thailand, and they are not (as you may have noticed) Thaksin supporters.