P A D -bkk Protesters Aim To ‘re-educate’ Rural Thais

LaoPo

They also want to marginalize their votes. These aims are from the horse's mouth

Have you listened to the "horse" itself?

"This “new politics” in the eyes of the PAD is a politics that will be people-centred. The power of representatives will be reduced while the role and power of the people will be increased."

From a paper written by one of PAD leaders, Suriyasai Katasila

http://www.prachatai.com/english/news.php?id=692

It seems re-education must not be limited only to the "dumb Isanese" as their defenders love to call them.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

..the pathetic poor, would have had time to decide to evict Thaksin the thief or retain Thaksin the PM themselves. It may have taken time, it took USA another 4 years

Yeah, right, Thaksin planned on twenty years of TRT in power, and he meant it.

As for him gracefully stepping down - we are not talking of the same Thaksin, are we?

They also want to marginalize their votes. These aims are from the horse's mouth

"This “new politics” in the eyes of the PAD is a politics that will be people-centred. The power of representatives will be reduced while the role and power of the people will be increased."

It seems re-education must not be limited only to the "dumb Isanese" as their defenders love to call them.

Another PRICK in the wall:-

We dont need no education.

We dont need no thought control.

PAD - Bangkok Protesters Aim to 'Re-educate' Rural Thais

Sometimes the truth is painful, but basically the idea is right.

For all you people praying to Thaksin, just consider the basic salaries of factory workers 10 years ago and today? Increases? Changes thanks to Thaksin TRT or PPP? Nothing!

He dropped some (to him small) money into rural villages (which is a good thing), made hospitals accessible to the poor (which is good too), but that's it. A nice decoration to catch votes, but never any reform that levels out the imbalances in wealth distribution in Thailand. Instead he and his clan used government funds to cheat the nation! Applause!

'Re-educated'?

At best that's a PR blooper of epic proportions (another one).

At worst it's truly frightening.

I see many are doing their best to rationalize it, claim it means something else (it's education, not re-education, they confused the English etc.), when right now this is ALL we have to go on, so until something proves otherwise RE-EDUCATION is their goal.

The PAD want to re-educate the rural poor. They also want to marginalize their votes. These aims are from the

horse's mouth so cannot be argued or twisted to suit until something, if anything, proves otherwise.

If the former happens the later is not needed.

An informed electorate getting BOTH sides of the story.

You of course assume the worst scenario.

Why?

And based on a translation lof unknown political bias.

Edited by animatic

why don't you just come out and say it, "The Communist Repubic of Thailand", your Holy Grail.

If you refuse to access different sources of information you ARE under thought control already.

You cannot be the judge of whether someone has 'misused' their vote.

And why not? Not me, personally, but a lot of people see that Thaksin's abused the electoral system and that caused the current crisis. People on both sides of the PAD divide, mind you.

"You", as a voter, might not know if you vote has been misused, that's a different story.

But why refuse education?

Another PRICK in the wall:-

We dont need no education.

Hear here!

TRT and PPP and their puyai buddies blocked all other points of view, often violently,

being heard for nearly 10 years. If that isn't thought control, I don't know what is.

'Re-educated'?

At best that's a PR blooper of epic proportions (another one).

At worst it's truly frightening.

I see many are doing their best to rationalize it, claim it means something else (it's education, not re-education, they confused the English etc.), when right now this is ALL we have to go on, so until something proves otherwise RE-EDUCATION is their goal.

The PAD want to re-educate the rural poor. They also want to marginalize their votes. These aims are from the horse's mouth so cannot be argued or twisted to suit until something, if anything, proves otherwise.

If one happens the other is less needed.

You of course assume the worst scenario.

Why?

And based on a translation lof unknown political bias.

Their words, not mine, based on what we have right now to go on. Do you have something that runs to the contrary? If not, there's not much to say for now other than agree that they wish to re-educate the rural poor as they've stated. If you do have something that runs to the contrary then I'd have to wonder about the contradiction within the party.

Worst scenario? No, just the current scenario as it stands based on what we have.

Keep spinning though. I have no horse in this one. I've been critical of the PAD and the government. More so of the PAD of late because of the current escalated situation. The government's errors and corruption have been well-documented, while the PAD is so central to this airport fiasco that it's inevitable more posts will be PAD-centric in focus right now.

Edited by fudoshinanzan

If you refuse to access different sources of information you ARE under thought control already.

And why not? Not me, personally, but a lot of people see that Thaksin's abused the electoral system and that caused the current crisis. People on both sides of the PAD divide, mind you.

"You", as a voter, might not know if you vote has been misused, that's a different story.

Looks like you could do with a little musical re-education yourself.

Too dumb to pick the reference.

I have a better idea, I will get a group of well educated farangs together and we will volunteer to reeducate the Bangkok elite.

What a great idea cmsally! Why don't you do just that! get educated, then come to bkk and reeducate the "Bangkok elite"!!

If someone were to suggest that for the most part only state owned media should be allowed to indoctrinate people I am sure many people would SCREAM about it! (Oh wait ..... that already is happening right?)

why don't you just come out and say it, "The Communist Repubic of Thailand", your Holy Grail.

This country has been a bastion of anti-communism for 50+ years,

that is quite unlikely to change.

Would a high school diploma suffice?
I have a better idea, I will get a group of well educated farangs together and we will volunteer to reeducate the Bangkok elite.

:o Well one volunteer. Somehow I feel with the present situation, give me about about a week and I should have a serious opposition force at work. :D

By next year maybe a farang govt. in place. Hey don't laugh, anything seems possible at the moment, why not!

Just got onto this blog so haven't followed everything yet.... what happened to this idea? Count me in! It could be very effective!!

Looks like you could do with a little musical re-education yourself.

Too dumb to pick the reference.

Flamer noted.

~Of course that musical reference was referring to the UK school system.

And might refer even stronger to the CURRENT Thailand schooling methods,

that created a central culture to rally around.

Erasing external or tribal cultural differences in the process.

The bricks in the wall concept

sure fits the motus operandi of the Thai educational system.

And please don't even try to push your "new politics" drivel on me or my family. We are

intelligent enough to see it for what it is.

With attitude like this you are obviously immune to any education.

So would you have me shipped to the camps for disposal then?

I for one welcome the "re-education" of Thais.

Keep the Thais ignorant, poor and believers in black magic. This way I, personally, will stand to profit HUGELY at the expense of the "ruling elite" of Thailand. The so called "elite" still depends on me (and others), the foreigner to supply them with all sorts of goods and services. They all think they are so clever and think their peanut "profits" make them "better" and "powerful".

When I buy goods from the Thais I always say I need a lower price or I wont buy. They jump and lower their prices immediately. I know the workers get less salaries because of it, but why should I care. I profit. They profit. The working class Thais lose. I don't give a <censored> <censor>.

I say continue to live in ignorance while us "outsiders" take 95% of the profits. Funny how it all works.

All of you moaning about this or that are just missing the boat to profit form the situation.

If you really think anything will be allowed to change, buy a clue. Others have positioned themselves to profit.

All of you supporting one side or the other, good luck. :D:o

Thanks for those quotes clausewitz

A few weeks ago, anti-government agitator Sondhi Limthongkul, whose People's Alliance for Democracy has occupied key official buildings for four months in an effort to topple a government he considers illegitimate, accused his opponents of employing wizardry to channel the statue's protective forces their way. And to reverse that alleged sorcery, he deployed his own mystics to encircle the statue with used sanitary napkins (collected from the PAD's rank-and-file) to form a shield of menstrual blood.

There are some people who are so obsessed with getting rid of old Thaksin that they are blinded by PADs shortcomings. Or as a friend claims "People who came to LOS in the last 10 years or so have no frame of reference to judge Thaksin or thai politicians by. They immediatly assume if Thaksin is bad, which of course he is, then the other guys must be the good guys. If Thaksins wears a black hat then the other guys must be wearing white. Sadly In LOS this is not the case nor has it ever been the case. Naive or perhaps the result of watching to many westerns when they were kids, either way it is a dangerously deluded mind set to have in a foriegn country during a political crisis. We can only hope they don't get themselves hurt.

Apparently there are a lot of people who think that vote buying and selling by poor, often uneducated people, is a normal thing.

It surprises me that election-fraud is a kind of accepted.

Well, is not and it is absolutely necessary to point out, re-educate, teach the people that they are being taken for a ride.

A hundred baht in there hands cost them thousands in corruption-tax, directly or indirectly.

The situation in Thailand is not unique ofcourse, its symbolic for what we used to call a third-world society, but I sincerely hope that Thailand as a nation, will progress into a mature democracy. In this process, it's sometimes necessary to make sacrifices.

A good first step in this proces is for Somchai to back down!

What a great idea cmsally! Why don't you do just that! get educated, then come to bkk and reeducate the "Bangkok elite"!!

If someone were to suggest that for the most part only state owned media should be allowed to indoctrinate people I am sure many people would SCREAM about it! (Oh wait ..... that already is happening right?)

I suspect exposure to Fahrang thoughts had something to do with Bangkok middle class

changes of their prior blanket acceptance of the gross corruption in thiir government.

You see the peole you do business with shake their heads in disbelief enough times,

you might begin to question their status quo on your own.

Historically great social changes in cultures often occurded when out side view points

were finally heard and matched to reality. Reduced isolation = greater variety of thought.

Oh, I see there IS another way, than ONLY what they have been telling me...

And please don't even try to push your "new politics" drivel on me or my family. We are

intelligent enough to see it for what it is.

With attitude like this you are obviously immune to any education.

So would you have me shipped to the camps for disposal then?

Yeah,

maybe the BARNSTABLE YACHET CLUB camp for re-education and Beetlecats.

Call me Ismael.

Would be appropriate since you seem a bit overboard with this dissing-cussion. :o

Come on laugh, it IS absurd....

Edited by animatic

I suspect exposure to Fahrang thoughts had something to do with Bangkok middle class

changes of their prior blanket acceptance of the gross corruption in thiir government.

You see the peole you do business with shake their heads in disbelief enough times,

Historically great social changes in cultures often occurded when out side view points

were finally heard and matched to reality. Reduced isolation = greater variety of thought.

'Farang' governments are just lining up to show their support for the PAD aren't they. Now, the Bangkok middle class may have opened their eyes a little in response to what you're referring to. This damns the current government but in no ways suggests support for the PAD from western governments the western general public, nor shows that their methods and intended policy mirrors that of the west or has been influenced by exposure to it.

KireB wrote

Apparently there are a lot of people who think that vote buying and selling by poor, often uneducated people, is a normal thing.

I was just curious what election in thailand during the last 20 or 30 years (40 opr 50) did vote buying not occur? and when did the people suddenly decide that NOW, this last election it should be stopped ?

Just curious

'Farang' governments are just lining up to show their support for the PAD aren't they. Now, the Bangkok middle class may have opened their eyes a little in response to what you're referring to. This damns the current government but in no ways suggests support for the PAD from western governments the western general public, nor shows that their methods and intended policy mirrors that of the west or has been influenced by exposure to it.

I am talking about actual people not leadership cadres.

PAD would never have possibly pulled in so many common folk (no slur intended),

without a great raising in general of the people overviews on corruption.

Access to alternate thought helped set the stage,

but how their leaders use this in a local context is a different issue.

Mis-using that thoughtful awakening is not my discussion point.

The information ages has created a great many changes,

and not all of them have aided stability in the short term,

not just here but world wide..

Edited by animatic

KireB wrote

I was just curious what election in thailand during the last 20 or 30 years (40 opr 50) did vote buying not occur? and when did the people suddenly decide that NOW, this last election it should be stopped ?

Just curious

I would say ALL of them.

And a question to the question.

When is it considered too early to say:

'Enough is enough we must reduce corruption now'?

KireB wrote

Just curious

I would say ALL of them.

And a question to the question.

When is it considered too early to say:

'Enough is enough we must reduce corruption now'?

And what makes you think that a guy like Sondhi , who was best buddy with the Kaiser of corruption Thaksin not so long ago , who defaulted on several tens of million of US$ of bonds , who has built a business empire in Thailand , has even an ounce of credibility when it comes to fighting corruption ?

I'm grateful for this link to such a thought-provoking paper by a PAD leader - while it's not the first "horse's mouth" PAD article I've read. Before others dismiss the notion of taking a few minutes to read what they might think is just propaganda, I urge you to take a look and also read the point-by-point critique of it that is on the same page.

Even without the critique, I think most objective readers would find themselves having problems with the (at best IMO) glib assumptions and assertions made by the PAD writer. The proposed "new politics" 70:30 structure looks a lot like the post-French Revolution "Convention" - which led to the 5-man "Executive Directory"......... which led (after the "Consulate") to.......... Napoleon. Plenty of other more recent parallels come readily to mind - e.g. 20th century Russia, Italy, Germany etc.

Anyhow, folks - read it and make up your own minds. And, while you do, you might want to remember Churchill's famous comment (made 2 years after his post-war election defeat and already mentioned by other ThaiVisa posters) :

"Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time."

"The group has rejected calls for fresh elections and wants a new political system that dilutes votes from poor farmers, who comprise Thaksin's political base."

Says it all, bunch of Nazi thugs!

So, whatever the judges decide tomorrow, they will continue to occupy Swampy and DM until the country collapses? :o

"The group has rejected calls for fresh elections and wants a new political system that dilutes votes from poor farmers, who comprise Thaksin's political base."

Says it all, bunch of Nazi thugs!

Agreed, how the hel_l can you call something a democracy when you want to give greater voting power to one group over another. 70% and 30%. The mind boggles. I dont understand why people dont see this.