Several Nations Race To Repatriate Nationals Stranded In Thailand

george

Does US pay anything off when the interests of nationals of other countries get disturbed??? is it the matter of US citizens only, almos every country's people are stuck there. by the way, is US going to pay off to each n every person of the world for causing a scary and unpeacful atmospahre for them for last 8-9 years???

Edited by Aatmaa

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

Is the average tourist that hopeless?

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

Why, stay here collect 2000 Baht per person a day and laugh at their incompetence

Has anyone actually received the 2000 Baht daily compensation yet? :o

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a myth like the recent Thai Airway's buy-one-get-one-free campaign! :D

It is probably offered as a discount on originally inflated room rates at specific hotels. :D

I empathize with those pasengers but I wonder why most do not simply get on the train to Penang. Get a bus from there to KL and leave from there.

On a different tack I hope the Thai travellers to Mecca managed to get out. Some of them may have saved for years for their one ond only trip of a lifetime.

maybe some tourist dont have sufficient fonds to do that,what you think it will cost 4 persons in a family.

Why, stay here collect 2000 Baht per person a day and laugh at their incompetence

I wouldn't be surprised if that is a myth like the recent Thai Airway's buy-one-get-one-free campaign! :D

It is probably offered as a discount on originally inflated room rates at specific hotels. :D

The compensation will be paid to the hotel where you are staying and not directly to the tourist there are special hotels assigned for those tourist.

The latest advice i received for compensation

Thailand will pay 2,000 baht per day if you can prove you were stranded.

Thai Airways offering 4,000 Baht per day if you can also prove you were stranded and on one of their planes.

4 UK guys contacted there agent yesterday and were eligible for the refund.

If I was self employed or on a contract outside of Thailand I would be pretty miffed with Bt2000 a day compensation. Daily losses could easily hit Bt25,000 a day or more.

Sure you could find a work around if you had to (even a taxi) but I don't think you'd be heading back to Thailand any time soon, would you ?

I've been stuck down in Phuket wanting to get to BKK (Yes it can be done, but not too bad to be here) I wonder how travel insurrance works with this situation. I just dropped an extra hundred bucks on a one way biz ticket up to BKK using an online travel agency which sells insurrance. Hoping that I would be covered if the flight is canceled.. Thai only charges around 4500 a ticket each way and Orbitz $150 each way plus the insurrance and ticket issue fee. I am hoping the insurrance will cover my hefty hotel expenses here if I am stuck :o

Before you get too excited about the worth of your travel insurance, perhaps you should read the fineprint on the policy & theres always fineprint when it comes to insurance. If I was you BKKRYAN, I would take myself out of the hefty expensive hotel and relocate to a cheaper version, which will lighten your load after the travel insurance company laugh you out of their office. Good luck & enjoy thailand

The compensation will be paid to the hotel where you are staying and not directly to the tourist there are special hotels assigned for those tourist.

everyone seen the qoute on the thaivisa bulletin board'

pad bkk protesters aim to re-educate rural thais

!!! i know thais think they are better and cleverer than us but now we have thais telling other thais they re cleverer than them.

The latest advice i received for compensation

Thailand will pay 2,000 baht per day if you can prove you were stranded.

Thai Airways offering 4,000 Baht per day if you can also prove you were stranded and on one of their planes.

4 UK guys contacted there agent yesterday and were eligible for the refund.

If I was self employed or on a contract outside of Thailand I would be pretty miffed with Bt2000 a day compensation. Daily losses could easily hit Bt25,000 a day or more.

Sure you could find a work around if you had to (even a taxi) but I don't think you'd be heading back to Thailand any time soon, would you ?

Agree, but if you have a proper professional insurance they are covering -unless civil war- these losses.

Anyone prepared to fly around a little bit to get back home and can make their way to Phuket may find the following useful

Silk Air have laid on extra flights to Singapore as per below

01December 2008

MI762A SINHKT 2130/2210 A319

MI761A HKTSIN 2250/0140*1 A319

MI764A SINHKT 2155/2235 A320

MI763A HKTSIN 2315/0205*1 A320

02Decenber2008

MI766 SINHKT 1210/1250 A319

MI765 HKTSIN 1330/1620 A319

MI768 SINHKT 2100/2140 A320

MI767 HKTSIN 2220/0100*1 A320

MI770 SINHKT 1900/1945 A319

MI769 HKTSIN 2045/2335 A319

03December 2008

MI762 SINHKT 1110/1150 A319

MI761 HKTSIN 1230/1520 A319

MI764A SINHKT 1755/1835 A319

MI763A HKTSIN 1915/2205 A319

Thai Air Asia have also laid on an extra flight each morning from Phuket to KL but first available flight (as of 4pm 1/12/08) is Saturday 6th

Edited by phuketdiver

My daughter is stranded in Phuket - no one (including the Brit Embassy) seems to acknowledge that the problem goes way beyond Bangkok. Looked in vain for info about Phuket - none that I can find! Anyone know more?

Stranded and Phuket are two words that don''t fit together in this situation.

In Phuket, it's life as normal. People are still coming and going. Guesthouses and hotels still having a good rotation of customers. Bars & restaurants operating as the do every other day. Deliveries, offices, shops, are ready for a high season (that may or may not come now), and the various transportation routes are still alive and kicking.

We've had guests bus, boat, and fly in and out in the last week. No flights to BKK that I'm aware of, and air seems low on the prefered choices this week, but anyone here is far from stranded.

As for the other countries having to come in and rescue their own citizens, what an embarassment. A huge loss of face for Thailand. The damage is getting worse by the day.

Understand but she is awaiting a flight out to connect with Emirates (in Bkk) and has been told to stay there and await further instructions (by UK travel agents) so for her, she is stuck (or faces huge extra expense to get herself and husband back to UK).

Embassy do not offer any advice. Insurance could (see above) use their "get out" to avoid paying costs. Her job is under threat if she doesn't return soon - and this was her honeymoon!!!

Advice from the Embassy would help! But she is not (technically) stranded I accept.

Your should get your "stranded" daughter to contact emirates to see if she can re-ticket via Singapore or KL. Sure, she would have to get there herself somehow, but given she is in Phuket even overland to KL or Singapore wouldn't be too bad.

Oh well, that's settled then - it's just another scheme to milk the state coffers. :D

Edited by JoeThePoster

Several nations race to repatriate nationals stranded in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Foreign nations have rushed to evacuate their nationals being stranded in Thailand after anti-government protesters closed down Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang airports.

China had provided seven charter flights to repatriate its stranded nationals, believed to number 2,000-3,000 people, by Saturday and had further flights planned for Sunday, Xinhua news agency said.

The agency said the first of the flights bringing home Chinese citizens arrived in Shanghai early on Sunday.

Meanwhile Philippine President Gloria Arroyo has ordered her foreign department to account for hundreds of Filipinos among those stranded in the Thai capital and asked that they be brought home to Manila from the northern city of Chiang Mai.

Australia's Foreign Minister Stephen Smith said his government was becoming increasingly frustrated by Thai authorities' inability to help evacuate tourists caught up in the demonstrations which have paralysed air traffic.

"It's very frustrating for us and it's very frustrating for those stranded Australians," he said.

"Some are becoming increasingly distressed, and we understand that. We've been working very hard putting pressure on the Thai airlines and on the Thai tourism authorities to try and get some Thai airline flights out.

He said Canberra had urged Thai airlines and tourism authorities to provide extra flights out and accommodation for the hundreds of luckless Australian visitors, but noted that "we can't rely upon... that presenting a conclusion".

Australian airline Qantas would provide extra flights to Thailand, but that is dependent upon getting access to the airports and getting flights in, Smith said.

Japan's two major airlines, Japan Airlines and All Nippon Airways said Sunday they are organising flights from the U-Tapao air base to bring back tourists stranded by mass protests.

Meanwhile Spain will send three planes, two military aircraft and a chartered plane to Thailand to bring back some 300 of its citizens.

"Considering the special circumstances in Thailand, the Spanish government has decided to take action so that Spanish nationals affected by the continuing closure of the Bangkok airports can return home," said a foreign ministry statement.

-- The Nation/Agencies 2008-12-01

No action from the UK government then. Business as usual.

Anyone here know how to phone UK cheaper than direct dial on my mobile? I can't get to BKK office so have to phone Brit Airways in UK. I'm a national who needs repatriating and my nation aint in no race fer sure.

Appreciate any help.

Try using 009 instead of 001, this should be quite a bit cheaper. Probably cheaper again if you use a landline.

A friend who is trying to get to Australia just told me that the train is fully booked until the 7th December so it is not that simple it appears. That said he has been able to get a flight to KL on Wednesday afternoon so he can catch a flight to Melbourne that night from there. He is leaving two days earlier than he wanted (he had no choice) and it is costing him about 25% than his original travel arrangements.

Anyone here know how to phone UK cheaper than direct dial on my mobile? I can't get to BKK office so have to phone Brit Airways in UK. I'm a national who needs repatriating and my nation aint in no race fer sure.

Appreciate any help.

If you can access a laptop then download voipcheap.

You can try this number.

Dial this number and wait for instructions.

08443030181. (not sure about acess code, maybe +44.)

Good luck

Edited by benjamat

Thanks Smithson.

But just to let everyone know. I got thru to BA at last at BKK (redirected to India! But still same cost as calling BKK) They booked me on a flight leaving BKK (Qantas) on 7th December. Blast it! Didn't ask which airport (waiting email confirmation) but it IS BKK airport.

So what do u make of this? SOMEONE seems to be pretty sure a BKK airport will be open by then. Personally I'm a little confused. Will I have to wear a yellow shirt maybe!

All the people stranded here will get home soon. They will tell all their fellow citizens about their ordeals. They will do news conferences. Some may even write books about this. All of this will haunt THAILAND forever. Millions of people will never come here because of this selfish move by both PAD and PPP. THAILAND may become listed as a no-travel zone by pissed off nations. I wish all travellers were safe and at home with lots of money for their troubles...paid for by PAD and PPP.

...yet an American (as we all could be in the hopeful sense of the word) would have to ask there Self - if the US had done just this when GWBush stole the election and took power, would we all be as f***'d and far from home as those stuck in the terminal?

If any of us were less petty, distracted, selfish, and kicked around "Patriots," would the world still be arguing about making more money and politics and the ha ha ha corruption of all governments - or doing more than demanding of solutions to what's now no longer "the world IS round!" in Global Warming and an Artificial Supply and Demand!?

While I may not agree with the PAD's choice of tactics, just like most places where there isn't as much news coverage as news, we'll never know the true extent of why they had staged such a vast and sweeping campaign of sides taking. Still, the organization and determination (even if paid), shows a stronger grass roots participation than anything the Democrats did to overturn Bush's obvious hijacking of a Democracy.

Maybe in something like this, there could at least be the light at the end of the tunnel of an all nations trying to recover from the period in our Global History when we all just let sides taking happen to the detriment of a common good. Corruption and overt and unresolved politicking and tactics of bloated big money in people like Bush and Taksin should have been over decades after radio waves not to mention video cell phones and the internet. Or not, just as always like right now, all people are looking at is the situation in their face and their perception of right or wrong or annoyance, and their inability to do anything purposeful about it, not to mention the sad sick reminder that we together are more powerful - only typically when the exercise of which has been historically detractive or disruptive...

Good luck humans?

Does US pay anything off when the interests of nationals of other countries get disturbed??? is it the matter of US citizens only, almos every country's people are stuck there. by the way, is US going to pay off to each n every person of the world for causing a scary and unpeacful atmospahre for them for last 8-9 years???

1. Why should any nation pay for other country nationals when stranded in a third country?

2. Scary and unpeaceful for whom...Terrorist? :o

anyone have info on what UK is doing to help Brits stuck here?

:o:D:D:D Sweet F.A.....what do you think ? If the PAD wanted to make everyone happy they should occupy the British Embassy and trash it , for all the good it does U.K. citizens.

the British Embassys answer was to close ,mind you for what use they are how can you tell if they are open?

well. It is the Airport chief who ordered the closure. PAD has officailly appealed to him to reopen the Airport since the protesters have nothing to do with the control of the flight traffic. PAD also managed to send those Muslim pilgrims to Megga almost everyone is happy. They are now waiting until tomorrow the day that the constitution court will rule that the ruling and coalition parties be dissolved. After this ruling it will satify the crowd and surely they will remove themselves from the Airport. It is just a matter of time. Please bear with this.

Oh really? :o

anyone have info on what UK is doing to help Brits stuck here?

:o:D:D:D Sweet F.A.....what do you think ? If the PAD wanted to make everyone happy they should occupy the British Embassy and trash it , for all the good it does U.K. citizens.

the British Embassys answer was to close ,mind you for what use they are how can you tell if they are open?

I emailed the BE today and got this almost by return:

"Thank you for your e-mail. I attach a link to our current travel advice forThailand. Our travel update is being updated on a regular basis during the current crisis and aims to enable travellers to make an informed decision about travelling to and travelling within Thailand:

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-li...ceania/thailand.

Our travel advice also provides information about how you can register with the Embassy using our "locate" on-line registration system.

The international airport in Bangkok remains closed, and there is no indication when it may re-open, or whether alternative arrangements can be made for flights. Travellers stranded in Bangkok are advised to remain in close contact with their airline to see if it is possible to transfer bookings and for advice on what arrangements their airline will make once the airport reopens. Some travellers have decided to make their own arrangements to travel to a neighbouring country, such as Malaysia or Cambodia, and then to make (and pay for) alternative flights back to the UK.

We have been advised that Thai Airways and a few other airlines are operating from U-Tapao airport (a military airbase 3 hours from Bangkok). However,we understand that these flights are mostly aimed at travellers who had checked in and were subsequently stranded, and that Thai Airways are contacting their passengers directly. There is no information that other additional flights will operate from U-Tapao (or any other airbase). Please call U-Tapao airport for more information : 038 245 595 and 038 245 600

The Tourist Authority of Thailand are making arrangements for accommodation for travellers who are stranded and do not have the means to arrange their own accommodation. Travellers should contact the Tourist Authority of Thailand for advice: 02 356 0720 or 02 356 0729. Or the Thai Hotel Association : 02 281 9496

We have been assured by the Immigration Bureau that travellers who overstay their visas as a result of the crisis will not face any problems when leaving Thailand.

Hope this information helps in some way, please feel free to let us know if there is any further assistance we can offer."

This is from the BE Crisis Centre and the email address is for the person at the Centre is:

[email protected] if anyone needs it.

Good idea, however your case may not be too strong when it comes to getting your money back later.

I reckon if u stay put and choose to wait it out, you`ll be covered.

Or at least wait for assistance via U-Tapao.

Not everybody have asses made of money :o

Appreciate any help.

Check out the local Seven-11 for an international calling card. Using it (via 800 number from any phone) I can call the states for only 4 bt/minute. It is likely calls to the UK are cheap also. Good luck.

Has this crisis really shut Thailand down in everyway??

Obivously movement of people internationally, but is there no other infrastructure apart from those two airports?

I am waiting for some simple music CDs and the FedEx tracking website is showing them as being stuck at their local facility in 'SAMUTPRAKARN TH'. Do all such operations come out of the two major airports?

I mean I can wait for CDs but think about things like medical supplies, etc... I know these would then go on to trains or lorries but this would still disrupt the supplies of certain things surely?

I guess export businesses are having a nightmare at the moment then? we can expect certain Thai supplies (food, etc..) at Thai shops here in London to start running out then?

I understand PAD is moving its HQ to the airports too...is will never end!!!