Stranded In Burma! Help Needed Fast!

famousblueraincoat

Help! I am presently in Vientiane and recieved an email from my daughter and her husband who are in Burma. Actually, the email was written by a third party from Bangladesh being email is not easy to access in Burma I guess. My daughter gave my email address and a note for the other person to send from Bangladesh being that person got a flight out.

Here is the problem. My daughter and son in law arrived in Burma on Thai International. They had a round trip ticket and were due to return to Bangkok the second day of the airport closure. They were told by Thai International the airport would be open soon.

Well, as you may know Burma is a cash society and ATM and credit cards are not used there due to the embargo.

I managed to make a phone call to them from Laos at their hotel in Yangon. They told me they were almost out of money and my son inlaw is very ill.

They tried getting a cash refund from Thai International so one of them could get to Bangladesh in order to access their ATM card and bring the money back to Burma in order to get them both out. Thai International told them they were not giving out refunds at the moment so my daughter has no money to pay for the Bangladesh visa or the air ticket. They then tried the Thai embassy in Yangon and the lady working there pretty much just pushed them out of the embassy. They are both Mexican nationals and there is no Mexican Embassy in Burma.

I tried getting a hold of the embassy in Bangkok from Laos and so far have been unable to get anyone to answer the phone. I then tried to send money by Western Union but was told that they couldn't send money to Burma.

I then called Biman Airways in Bangladesh hoping to pay for a ticket for my daughter and son in law and they told me they couldn't book it by credit card over the phone and I needed to do it in person if buying a ticket for someone other than myself.

I next tried the Thai Embassy in Vientiane and was pretty much told that it wasn't the Thais problem being my daughter was in Burma.

I myself am trying to get a ticket to Burma in order to bring some money to my daughter but it appears I am stuck here in Laos along with a lot of other tourist. We are all waiting for flights that don't seem available. I was booked on Thai also to the USA and was told here in the Thai office that they wouldn't be able to get me a cash refund at this point either. I then made other arrangements and will be returning to Mexico via Kunming, China and Beijing. A very expensive little trip indeed. My passport is presently at the Chinese embassy waitingfor a transit visa. It is National Day in Laos and everything is closed. I can't get my passport back without the Chinese visa until Wednesday. My plan was to try to get to KL and then to Burma from there but it all seems impossible.

Okay, so that is the back ground. Can anyone offer any tips? I have tried to think of everything. I was told by my daughter that they would have to leave the hotel being they have no cash to pay for it. No money for food either and then the son in law is also very ill and they don't even have money for his medical treatment. Does anyone on Thai Visa have any tips or advice at all? Please pardon any spelling or grammar mistakes. English isn't my first language.

Oh, and can I vent a bit. I can't believe what a mess the Thais have caused for everyone in Thailand but also the neighboring countries. They appear to have no idea the damage they are doing and don't at all seem to be concerned with any of the rest of us. And being in a country outside of Thailand and having to depend on an airport that may or may not open all makes it worse. The Thai emabssy here in laos ans welkl as Burma think that because we are not in Thailand we have no problems at all. Really, the country shouldn't even have an airport being the entire region is now dependent on it for long distance travel and a group of protesters showed up unarmed and took the place over. Does the Thai governemnt have any security at the airport at all. Okay, enough. Please, please, please if anyone can give some pointers I would be very happy.

He does say that the couple are Mexican, and there is no embassy in Burma.

Sorry missed that bit...very long post....Is there a mexican embassy in BKK then ?, if not where is the nearest in SEA, think he would need to try contact the nearest Mexican embassy..

Yes. It reads like one of those spam emails I keep getting in my junk box....

Dear sir,

I am the head of a large Nigerian bank and need to transfer the sum of 5M dollars to a secure western account....

If it is for real. Then the answer is simple. Travel overland by bus or train from vientiene to Bangkok and speak with the myanmar embassy. surely they can transfer cash for you.

Mexico Mexican Embassy

44/7-8 Convent Rd, Bangkok 10500

Tel: (02) 235-6367, 234-0935, 234-0999

Fax: (02) 236-8410. Mon-Fri 8-3.00pm

Quote: "The Thai emabssy here in laos ans welkl as Burma think that because we are not in Thailand we have no problems at all."

Is there a Thai Embassy in Burma?

Edited by twschw

Yes. It reads like one of those spam emails I keep getting in my junk box....

Dear sir,

I am the head of a large Nigerian bank and need to transfer the sum of 5M dollars to a secure western account....

You get them too ??....I thought I was the only person in the world making millions of dollars this way..they keep telling me I must keep the information confidentional...do you think they are telling porkie pies.. :o:D

Sorry missed that bit...very long post....Is there a mexican embassy in BKK then ?, if not where is the nearest in SEA, think he would need to try contact the nearest Mexican embassy..

You really should read the original post before asking questions.

He has covered this point also.

Mexico Mexican Embassy

44/7-8 Convent Rd, Bangkok 10500

Tel: (02) 235-6367, 234-0935, 234-0999

Fax: (02) 236-8410. Mon-Fri 8-3.00pm

Quote: "The Thai emabssy here in laos ans welkl as Burma think that because we are not in Thailand we have no problems at all."

Is there a Thai Embassy in Burma?

Seeing as the OP is Mexican, not suprised the Thai Embassy is not interested, as its nothing to do with them...

Some of the major hotels like the Sedona, Strand, Savoy and possibly the Inya lake take credit card payments. Perhaps a friendly chat with the GM may be able to get some much needed cash. Regarding embassies, tried the american embassy on university avenue ?

If they need to get out of country quick, i suggest a flight down to Kyaw Htaung (i think) which is a small boat trip away from Ranong/Phuket airport. Otherwise try to get up to mai sot and cross there.

Edited by phazey

You really should read the original post before asking questions.

He has covered this point also.

Yes Miss....I get it.... RTFQ....I shall write his post out a 1000 times... :o:D

Hi there,

Have you thought about traveling through Thailand to Burma to meet your family once your passport is returned from the Chinese embassy? This could be done via the Mae Sot border in Tak.

If you have the means, try to hire a car - a lot faster than public transport (There are buses from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai, then Chiang Mai to Mae Sot, but it would be a long trip.

Also, could the OP's family make it from Yangon to the Thai border and meet the OP there? I would think the price of a bus ticket in Burma would be affordable, even in their state? If they can't, maybe the OP could continue overland into Yangon itself...

I am sorry if this is unhelpful, it may not be feasible.

Good luck,

Jim

(On a personal note, I find it hard to associate with posters who write 'troll' on TV posts. Why feel the need to share your opinion? Would it be wise for all posters to air our views about the validity of every post? Imagine, there would be no direct responses to the OP, just comments of "troll" or "not troll" like some laborious vote... sounds like it could be the basis a new game show??? :D ) Furthermore, if the OP is a troll, aren't you the one 'feeding it' by adding a post to denounce it as a troll? And finally, it seems that you have no rational basis for making such a statement in the first place...OK, I'll be quiet, rant over. :o

And, true situation or troll, this is an example of why it's always a bad idea to travel to a country that does not have diplomatic relations with your country of citizenship. No Embassy, no consulate, no assistance in case of real emergency. I can only imagine what would happen if your passport got stolen in such a country!

Hi there,

Have you thought about traveling through Thailand to Burma to meet your family once your passport is returned from the Chinese embassy? This could be done via the Mae Sot border in Tak.

If you have the means, try to hire a car - a lot faster than public transport (There are buses from Udon Thani to Chiang Mai, then Chiang Mai to Mae Sot, but it would be a long trip.

Also, could the OP's family make it from Yangon to the Thai border and meet the OP there? I would think the price of a bus ticket in Burma would be affordable, even in their state? If they can't, maybe the OP could continue overland into Yangon itself...

I am sorry if this is unhelpful, it may not be feasible.

Good luck,

Jim

(On a personal note, I find it hard to associate with posters who write 'troll' on TV posts. Why feel the need to share your opinion? Would it be wise for all posters to air our views about the validity of every post? Imagine, there would be no direct responses to the OP, just comments of "troll" or "not troll" like some laborious vote... sounds like it could be the basis a new game show??? :D ) Furthermore, if the OP is a troll, aren't you the one 'feeding it' by adding a post to denounce it as a troll? And finally, it seems that you have no rational basis for making such a statement in the first place...OK, I'll be quiet, rant over. :o

Overland travel beyond Mywaddy is strictly forbidden to foreigners I'm afraid.

I would assume it would be equally difficult for a foreigner to travel from Rangoon overland to Myawaddy/Mae Sot.

Not sure how you go on holiday and then the SIL gets very ill just at the same time as the airport is closed. I can offer no direct advice but I am sceptical of a string of seemingly impossible co-incidences.

Thousands of people are effected by the airport closure - to describe one of these people getting very ill as an impossible coincidence i think wins idiotic post of the day.

sorry to the OP i have no advice.

Overland travel beyond Mywaddy is extremely difficult but not entirely impossible I'm afraid.

I would assume it would be equally difficult for a foreigner to travel from Rangoon overland to Myawaddy/Mae Sot.

Fixed that for ya!.

PS: something i should have posted earlier, Yangon Intl offers flights to a number of destinations, not just Bangkok.

I would like to thank the people at Thai Visa for the helping I got from you all. I contacted the Burmese Embassy in Laos and it was a holiday here yesterday but a nice Burmese man did speak to me. He told me about another airline called MAI and I was able to buy two seats from Yangon to Singapur today for my daughter and son in law. My daughter didn't know I think about that airline.

They will be leaving today and I also was able to talk to the Mexican Embassy in Singapur and they have helped with information about a hospital for my son and law.

Thank you again for helping me. I think I was almost crazy with worry yesterday.

The Burmese Embassy was very nice here not like the Thai people at their embassy. The Burmese man helped me to do the reservation even with my credit card.

Now, I have to again change my plan and find a way to Singapur.

Sorry about the English. I don't have my friend from Finland helping me today to write.

Thank you again.

Nice to hear that the Burmese Embassy was very nice. I am very happy to hear that you feel better and solved you problem.

And yes maybe, but I doubt it, some posters stop screaming troll everytime. Someone here even suggested that the OP had received a spam mail even though he wrote that he had spoke with his family in need. :o

Edited by Hawkup2000

Case now closed - but there is one other way:

Chinese money changers in China Town BKK, who provide "under the table" money transfer to Burma - like Western Union and Money gram - just as quick. Yes its relaible - you will not get ripped off. These guys are not in business to ripp off the occassional tourist in trouble - they serve the ex-pat Chinese buisness community primarily, and have done so ever since China Town exsisted. They're also provide better exchange rates than Thai banks (their main business).

Case now closed - but there is one other way:

Chinese money changers in China Town BKK, who provide "under the table" money transfer to Burma - like Western Union and Money gram - just as quick. Yes its relaible - you will not get ripped off. These guys are not in business to ripp off the occassional tourist in trouble - they serve the ex-pat Chinese buisness community primarily, and have done so ever since China Town exsisted. They're also provide better exchange rates than Thai banks (their main business).

My sentiments exactly :o

I have used them many times and they are very reliable.