Spybot S&d

monsieurhappy

I'm using Spybot search & destroy free version. I download updates usually once a week but these seem to be getting more and more. The average download now is about 2 megs.

Obviously, this program runs in the background but I still run it alone once in a while when I'm not connected to the web. I'm on dial-up. This program is taking longer to run each time, last time taking over 2 hours! Do I have a problem with the program or is this normal?

Can anyone recommend an anti spyware program to replace spybot?

I'm using Spybot search & destroy free version. I download updates usually once a week but these seem to be getting more and more. The average download now is about 2 megs.

Obviously, this program runs in the background but I still run it alone once in a while when I'm not connected to the web. I'm on dial-up. This program is taking longer to run each time, last time taking over 2 hours! Do I have a problem with the program or is this normal?

Can anyone recommend an anti spyware program to replace spybot?

Spybot S&D is a good program. You will have also (relatively) long update downloading issues (using a dial-up connection) with all good anti-spyware programs. I also use Spyware Terminator and Spyware Doctor and a few other programs, but all of them have to be regularly updated.

Your problem is always going to be you're on dial-up. I found spybot and other programs like adaware took forever when I was on dial-up. Even with a basic broadband connection it still can take a while to update.

I just updated spybot, 11 updates - 3.5MB, 3 mins.50 secs. using a good 1MB connection. On that basis you could expect a good dial-up connection to take 75 minutes, a slower connection much longer. Time to think about getting broadband if it's available for you.  :o

Running an offline scan can also be very slow if you have an older computer and a lot of files to check. Take a look at the scanning options to see if you need to scan all parts of your computer each time or if there are some things that can be skipped.

What is your CPU and how much memory do you have installed?

:o Thats the trouble with dialup so so slow. Spybot is good but with so many viruses etc to detect it needs updating almost every day.

You can limit which updates you need by only checking the sections you want and forget about all the updates for all languages etc. Also you could try Avast free version, but this still needs updating but you can set this to update when net is not so busy.

The real solution to your problem is to get broadband if you can. Best of luck. :D