How To Know About New Posts

Pakeha

How can I check if a new post has been added after my post or after posting a topic without going into the topic?

On the right side just above the topic is an "Options" box. Click on it and select "Track This Topic". You can select Delayed or Immediate. The Delayed informs you of a new post after you have visited the topic, Immediate means you get informed for every post in the topic. You are informed by your registered e-mail address.

Also, if you look on the left next to the topic list you will see a small icon of a Suitcase. If you have posted in that topic it will show up as post-566-1228369368.gif and this post-566-1228369404.gif means there are unread posts in that topic.

How can I check if a new post has been added after my post or after posting a topic without going into the topic?

On the right side just above the topic is an "Options" box. Click on it and select "Track This Topic". You can select Delayed or Immediate. The Delayed informs you of a new post after you have visited the topic, Immediate means you get informed for every post in the topic. You are informed by your registered e-mail address.

Also, if you look on the left next to the topic list you will see a small icon of a Suitcase. If you have posted in that topic it will show up as post-566-1228369368.gif and this post-566-1228369404.gif means there are unread posts in that topic.

Got the first one but I want to know without waiting for an email to come through - i.e. when I'm on TV. Is that what you are explaining in the second paragraph? I'm not sure where to see the topic list...

Thanks but how do I bring up a list like this of topics I'm interetsed in - not under 'view new posts'? I.e. 'Tracked topics' or something like that.

I think you are asking if you can list only topics you have posted in and have follow up responses? If so, sorry but AFAIK there is no option for that though that actually would be a useful feature of the board. :o

I think you are asking if you can list only topics you have posted in and have follow up responses? If so, sorry but AFAIK there is no option for that though that actually would be a useful feature of the board. :o

Yes that's exactly what I was trying to work out / find. Oh well I will stop wondering now. It's been driving me crazy! Thanks for clarifying.

OK. I think I have worked this out.

You do a search by clicking 'Search' in the top right hand corner

Enter your username and click 'Go'.

You end up with a list of all topics you have posted in. Noit sure if you can di it if your username is only three letters / numbers though.

:o

ahhhh - okay now your query has suddenly become very clear.

Yes - entering your own name in a search will bring up the topics you have posted in - further up the page you actually asked how to get a list of topics you were interested in.

Your solution will only work of course if you have actually posted in a topic. Quite often there will be a thread I want to follow (developing news story, or a thread which is regularly added to over time - but where I haven't actually posted (I think the technical term is 'lurking' :o )

Your query raised a good point - it would be good to be able to have a simple 1-click button on a thread which marks it as 'follow' or 'favourite' whatever - and then when you log in to the board - your followed threads would all be listed in 1 page - like a "my topics" sub-forum option.....without having endless emails.

Good example on too many emails was the recent airports debacle - I posted one reply in the 'airports closed' thread to ask about info - and then received several hundred emails after the thread descended into an endless series of mostly OT rants by people bickering at each other over politics....... :D

Good example on too many emails was the recent airports debacle - I posted one reply in the 'airports closed' thread to ask about info - and then received several hundred emails after the thread descended into an endless series of mostly OT rants by people bickering at each other over politics....... :D

:o:D Yes that is the problem!

The answer may be to post in the topic you want to follow so that you can track it from the Search. Wouldn't that be a nightmare if everyone starts doing that!! The posts would become even more irrelevant than a lot of them are already.

it would be good to be able to have a simple 1-click button on a thread which marks it as 'follow' or 'favourite' whatever - and then when you log in to the board - your followed threads would all be listed in 1 page - like a "my topics" sub-forum option.....without having endless emails.

This would definately be a handy solution. Who is the boss of this site? Can we get a petition together to get this added?

This would definately be a handy solution. Who is the boss of this site? Can we get a petition together to get this added?

That would be George - but it won't be as simple as getting a petition up (not necessary I am sure, if it is a good idea) - the forum I believe is licensed software from a 3rd party. Any major changes would need to come from the developers as part of an upgrade to the forum itself....

By all means suggest this either by a thread in the support forum, or PM'ing a mod....but it won't be a matter of a simple tweak on their part.

You do a search by clicking 'Search' in the top right hand corner

Enter your username and click 'Go'.

You end up with a list of all topics you have posted in. Noit sure if you can di it if your username is only three letters / numbers though.

I thought about that idea yesterday but ran my test wrong and selected "view as posts" (just have a habit of doing it that way due to being a mod). :D But that does work out nicely, good catch. :o

That would be George - but it won't be as simple as getting a petition up (not necessary I am sure, if it is a good idea) - the forum I believe is licensed software from a 3rd party. Any major changes would need to come from the developers as part of an upgrade to the forum itself....

By all means suggest this either by a thread in the support forum, or PM'ing a mod....but it won't be a matter of a simple tweak on their part.

This sounds like a function the developers (Invision) would have to add into the program and distribute as an update in the future. Not likely to happen in the near future though (unless they are already working on it).