Golf In Bangkok

Shotime

I'm going to relocate in Bangkok for at least 6 months, and I've been looking at some different areas to live. I could live in Sukhumvit, but then I'd be taking taxis back and forth. The traffic is what I would rather avoid. I 'm familiar with Unico, which is OK, but I also played Muang Ake, which was better. There seems to be concentrations of courses North and a little East of the city. I'd like to stay about 20 to 30 minutes outside the city. Is it possible to find a neighborhood somewhere along Bangna-Trad Highway or Nonthaburi, close to golf courses, that has a nice residential area? I'm not sure what greens fees must be like except for Unico and Muang-Ake, but 1,500 to 1,600 Baht would be great. Any suggestions on which area is better would be greatly appreciated.

Just wanted to try one more time. Nobody plays golf in Bangkok?

I live on the bangna trad at km 10. There are lots of courses nearby, and they are easily accessible . In addition, the Bangna trad is well connected to other motorways and means its easy to get around to courses on the northern side. I find it a great place to live golf wise

I'm going to relocate in Bangkok for at least 6 months, and I've been looking at some different areas to live. I could live in Sukhumvit, but then I'd be taking taxis back and forth. The traffic is what I would rather avoid. I 'm familiar with Unico, which is OK, but I also played Muang Ake, which was better. There seems to be concentrations of courses North and a little East of the city. I'd like to stay about 20 to 30 minutes outside the city. Is it possible to find a neighborhood somewhere along Bangna-Trad Highway or Nonthaburi, close to golf courses, that has a nice residential area? I'm not sure what greens fees must be like except for Unico and Muang-Ake, but 1,500 to 1,600 Baht would be great. Any suggestions on which area is better would be greatly appreciated.

This is odd, Bangna Trad and Nontaburi are completely different areas. I live nearer to Nontaburi in that I am North of Jatujak park. I have always taken the view that you only need one course and mine is the Army at Ram Indra. Cost is about 1500 all-in per round, there are two courses which makes for a little more variety. Links to South are good if you need it, elevated road all the way to Chonburi takes about one hour thirty in the 'turtle lane'. Meuang ake is a little cheaper and Vista less still. I haven't been to Chuen Cheun yet this year but that is a superior course for the money and where I would make friends if I needed to. Around Soi 30 Phahonyothin there are plenty of new apartments for rent, not much in the way of nightlife but the skytrain or underground from Jatujak and a late taxi home works. Imax cinema restaurants aplenty and market, haircut 70Baht.

Thank you all so much.

"This is odd, Bangna Trad and Nontaburi are completely different areas."

That's what I'm trying to decide. Which would be better. I'm planning on driving around both places to try to find a neighborhood I would like to live in. I've played at Meuang ake and liked it, but not at Vista or the Army at Ram Indra. Once I'm living outside of the central part of the city, I would taxi to most courses. At least for now. That's why I also would consider Bangna Trad. It seems both areas have courses available. I need to find a convenient location for golf, in a nice area, convenient to the city. Soi 30 Phahonyothin is exactly the kind of information I'm looking for. Thank you all again.

I think nobody took you seriously when you mentioned you played at Unico. One of the worst in BKK.

Bang Na would be where I would live if I wanted to be closer to golf. But I'd rather be closer to where I work seeing as I'd be headed there 5 days/week vs. a couple of days of golfing.

Ram Intra area out towards Fashion Island has a lot of nice neighborhoods and access to a lot of golf as well, the closest to there being Panya Indra, but if you take 304 out past Fashion Island to the east, there are a host of golf courses around Min Buri which is a short drive from the Fashion Island area.

North of Fashion Island is Legacy, Lam Laukka, Cascetas (spelling may be off) and Lotus Vally. Being close to Fashion Island gives you a mall and access to the Outer Ring road (though it can be ugly at times) and the Ram-Intra Expressway as well.

Soi224

We drove down The Ancient City, on Saturday and one of my Thai freinds in the car remarked that he wouldn't want to live anywhere where you couldn't cross the road, this reminded me of your post good residential area, I think you said. Of course we were on the big roads but 'Up-north' seems a lot more liveable to me. It is already developed but not overwhelming but has easy access to all areas and there are plenty of taxis, and busses, someone remarked that you would need a car, it isn't necessary here, the skytrain and underground take care of trips to the town. Crossing the road resonated with me.

I hadn't checked this in awhile, and I want to thank everyone again for responding. Unico is not that bad. It's in terrible shape, but cheap. I finally decided to take an apartment in Sukhumvit for a couple months, and do some more looking around. Luckily, I found a very nice apartment that's relatively inexpensive, and can take taxis to various other courses to play. Metered taxis, that is. I find it's not that expensive to taxi back and forth. Just so the timing has to be right to avoid traffic.

I'm not working, so that's not a factor on deciding where to live. It's more the inability to talk to anyone who can speak English. The worst part is that in some places, the Thai look at you like what are you doing here? I'll check out Bang Na, Fashion Island, and "Up-North" which I'm guessing is near Nontaburi.

Thanks again for all the ideas.