Anyone Need A $275 Christmas Tree

MeetJohnDoe

Yes it's true, I saw today that Villa is offering imported Christmas trees to complete you home holiday decor for the bargain price of only B 9500 :o

Let the markets be dammed...stocks, bonds, gold, currencies, real-property...never mind...what the people of Pattaya need are the worlds most expensive X-mas trees!

It is fair to say that Villa Market have an excellent range of products, many of which are imported, however their prices are simply unrealistic and even the most affluent would not pay their prices. Let me give you an example. Ribena, for those that don't know, is a blackcurrant flavoured drink from UK which is also available in Australia. I have been drinking it for years and it appeared in Villa Market about 1 month ago. Lets compare UK and Villa's Price for a 1 liter bottle.

Ribena UK - 2.38 pounds

Ribena Villa Market - 420 Baht = 8.08 pounds

I understand that import duty is high but that price is utterly ridiculous and I am pretty sure that no one would pay that. I really feel that they have not researched the market here in Pattaya and just opened the store without thinking first. It's a shame because I like the store and will often spend 3-4,000 Baht there at a time on a regular weekly shop. I don't think they can survive here in Pattaya....I hope I am wrong.

One of the things I noticed was "fresh" orange juice, not from concentrate from the USA. I don't mind the price, as I buy it rarely, but what I don't understand is the expiration dates. Back in the states, the expiration dates are never more than about 30 days on Fresh Orange Juice from Grovestand, or any of the other major brands. Here, the "same" thing has expiration dates of 90 days! I bought a bottle here at TOPS yesterday and the label says expiration in March. Just seem odd.

It is fair to say that Villa Market have an excellent range of products, many of which are imported, however their prices are simply unrealistic and even the most affluent would not pay their prices. I don't think they can survive here in Pattaya....I hope I am wrong.

I completely agree. I appreciate what they try to do...provide a wide range of local and imported products and I understand that the imported stuff is going to cost...sometimes allot more than "back home." On one level, at least it is nice to have the choice; and sometimes I will go ahead and buy some of my comfort foods on a splurge.

However, I just thought that the X-mas trees at almost US$ 300 (especially considering the economic turmoil) was just so over the top expensive that I just had to post it :o

As to the longer expiry dates on some perishable goods...maybe the stuff like that OJ that is destined for export...they nuke it (irradiate) so that it keeps longer.

In July, Ribena in London was 2 4 1 at abut £2.40 in the local Sainsburys Local in Angel. I love it with iced still and sparkling water. Great for hangovers as well.

As for Villa Market, does anyone remember the 25 or so types of tomatoes they had when they opened ? Some ranging up to Bt2000 or so (perhaps more, it was a lunatic number) a kilo !

Yet their duck breasts are superb and moderately priced. Heinz beans at about Bt160 a tin versus about £0.40 or so in the UK is taking the piss.

I guess I'm just a simple farang. If I see an item that I feel is overpriced, I don't buy it. I certainly don't complain about the price.

I am really only highlighting the excessive pricing differentials between a product in its country of origin compared to Villa Market. I am normally one of the last to complain about anything, but you have to agree that my example of the cost of Ribena is a bit crazy!

I guess I'm just a simple farang. If I see an item that I feel is overpriced, I don't buy it. I certainly don't complain about the price.

I am really only highlighting the excessive pricing differentials between a product in its country of origin compared to Villa Market. I am normally one of the last to complain about anything, but you have to agree that my example of the cost of Ribena is a bit crazy!

Do you think that Ribena is shipped here free of charge?

If you read my other posts you will see that I fully appreciate the import duty and other transport costs incurred, however to offer a product four times the price it is back in its country of origin is excessive.

Talking about Christmas trees, this article is on the UK Telegraph website.

Wollemi Pines - which were only known from fossils until 1994 - are being sold as Christmas trees for the first time by a country estate in Cornwall.

Nicknamed the 'Dinosaur Tree', the species was thought to be extinct until a handful of 100 trees were found living in an Australian valley in 1994.

Seeds from the original trees were sent around the world by conservationists to ensure their survival and there are currently just 8,000 examples worldwide.

The trees have thrived at Tregothnan Gardens in Cornwall, which has become the first place in the world to sell 3ft versions for use as Christmas trees.

Okay so far but this piece:-

Tregothnan Gardens director Jonathon Jones said: "The Wollemi Pine is just amazing - an unbelievable sight. It looks completely different to a 'normal tree', but then it is two million years old.

"It really does look very strange - on first sight the male pine cones look like sausages hanging from the branches and the female ones look like round pom-poms."

got me thinking maybe April 1st has come early this year.

But if you want one they are a snip:-

The estate is now selling 3ft tall versions of the rare breed - also dubbed the 'Fossil Tree' - to customers for £59.95.

or about 3000 Baht.

I wonder if the male and female cones hang off the same point on the same branches? Certainly would beat the usual balloon arrangement.

Sorry :o

with a strong baht and a weak pound and euro , prices of imports should be coming down.

that is not the case with villa supermarket , their prices just seem to go up and up , sometimes by 20% at a time

they opened a store recently in hua hin , well stocked with western processed foods and imported fruit and veg. at , frankly , silly prices.

for those who can and will pay top baht for a can of imported gloop or a box of cereal , then villa must seem like heaven.

but in these difficult economic times , good value for money must be the order of the day , and villa certainly does not offer good value , although to be fair , there is good value to be found in their butchers shop.

these days we do more and more shopping for fruit and veg at the local markets ( there are dozens in and around hua hin) and eat much less meat and processed stuff.

we bake our own bread with the help of a bread machine , a water filter means we dont need to buy any more bottled water , make our own yoghurt and fruit and vegetable juices , have cut our food bill down considerably and at the same time are eating a much healthier diet.

visits to the huge , crowded tescos and carrefour , and to an extent the smaller villa shops is too much like being back in the west , the convenience is not there anymore.

when it comes to food , thailand is the land of plenty , and with so much around locally , there is little need to give in to the high profit margins of villa or other supermarkets who rely on shoppers who basically are just too lazy to go looking around.

..... and as for xmas trees , baaah humbug!

Edited by taxexile

Stupid comment Mr Hippo

Why do people shop at Villa?

Villa Market is a unique success in Thailand. This family-owned business began in 1974 with one store

at Sukhumvit Soi 33. Today, there are many locations in the Bangkok metropolitan area, and beyond.

Villa Market has gained a solid reputation for quality and service as the original supermarket.

When only the best will do

The store recognized the needs of the community for high quality, imported and local food stuffs. Villa set its policy on one single aim: to provide the best quality groceries available. Bangkok was ready for this common sense approach to marketing.

Quality assurance

Food quality is measured in so many ways that it takes a trained grocer to recognize the subtle differences. Here is the strength of Villa Market.

As a family owned market Villa has complete quality control of the products it stocks and over the years it has formed solid partnerships with reliable food producers and suppliers who meet Villa’s quality standards.

Villa believes in their products, the entire family from the age of 2 months to Villa’s founder Khun Pong, taste tests every food item sold at Villa. You can rest assured that when a Villa product is labeled as “organic” or with Villa’s own “seal of approval”, they can back up their claim.

Right people they can back up there claim.

Why do people shop at Villa?

Villa Market is a unique success in Thailand. This family-owned business began in 1974 with one store

at Sukhumvit Soi 33. Today, there are many locations in the Bangkok metropolitan area, and beyond.

Villa Market has gained a solid reputation for quality and service as the original supermarket.

When only the best will do

The store recognized the needs of the community for high quality, imported and local food stuffs. Villa set its policy on one single aim: to provide the best quality groceries available. Bangkok was ready for this common sense approach to marketing.

Quality assurance

Food quality is measured in so many ways that it takes a trained grocer to recognize the subtle differences. Here is the strength of Villa Market.

As a family owned market Villa has complete quality control of the products it stocks and over the years it has formed solid partnerships with reliable food producers and suppliers who meet Villa’s quality standards.

Villa believes in their products, the entire family from the age of 2 months to Villa’s founder Khun Pong, taste tests every food item sold at Villa. You can rest assured that when a Villa product is labeled as “organic” or with Villa’s own “seal of approval”, they can back up their claim.

Right people they can back up there claim.

Thanks for the "Industry Standard" blurb. We are not debating the quality of the products and the excellent range of imported products they sell. I am suggesting that their pricing has become unrealistic in some cases. Is there really enough of a market for "Villa Market" here in Pattaya to keep it financially viable to continue trading?

I would say that Villa is indeed overpriced on certain items, more so than Freindship for example.

However there are a number of factors in their defense.

To compare the cost of Ribena in Sainsburys to Villa is really verging on the ridiculous, for example how much would Thai Jasmine rice or a bottle of Thai fish sauce cost in Sainsburys?

Remember we are in minority here in Thailand and the likes of Branston Pickle etc. are not being brought by the locals and certainly not in the quantities that they are in the UK.

Sainsuburys have massive buying power, Villa etc. do not, couple that with high import duties, transportation costs from the UK and internally,the need to make a profit and a relatively small market, you will indeed get a rather high price.

The cost of imported products certainly should drop with the exchange rates, but with time, most of these products were probably imported at 70 THB to the GBP, the cost of transportation has also dropped, so hopefully this will reflect in the costs in the next couple of months.

Stupid comment Mr Hippo

Is it?

I thought your comment was quite reasonable.

If Ribena is a low volume item the cost of importing it should be expected to be high. Glass bottles of juice are heavy and fragile.

• 4 weeks later...
Villa has many items with idiotic prices- i am sure they think all ferangs are loaded and dumb :o

:D Check out the locked wine cabinet. Some of those bottles are in the 30,000+ baht range!

And yet I bought a cabernet from south australia at Makro for only 280 baht which was

delicious.

For a Christmas tree while living in Colorado I always enjoyed a day driving into the mountains and cutting down your own tree for about $20 USD.... Yes, it was on designated land and only certain marked trees but there was something that made it more special to cut down you own tree and haul it back home. And you also knew how fresh the tree was.

Now for import prices there was one thing I could not understand in Colorado. One of my favorite beers, Fat Tire, was brewed in the northern town I lived in but if one would drive 400+ miles to the opposite end of the state you could buy the same beer cheaper.... Never did quite understand that one.