What Is The Perfect Size Or Model Bike For Bkk

bernie66

When a moped can get you across town faster than anything speed is no longer a factor. Anything to big and you choke on exhaust. You don’t want to loose your ability to go between cars that are stopped at a light without taking out someone’s mirror off. A tight turning radius is a must when traffic is jammed and you’re trying to keep moving. On the other hand I have found that they can also be too small. I have learned and witnessed first hand that mopeds take a nose dive when you hit the breaks and they loose the slightest traction. Not just certain models but all of them. There is just not enough weight to stop you in a hurry. When I was home in October I witnessed or just missed 2 deaths and two wipe outs. Everyone I saw, a taxi pulled out in front of a moped. The driver locked up his breaks and the front tire flew to the right slamming them straight down on the road and under the car. This has happened to me twice but I was able to ride my back break to keep it up. If the road had been a little wetter I would have been paying for new paint jobs. So I would really like a VFR 400 but I think it would be too wide and keep me from going between cars. I am going to get a Honda 150nsr today because I think it will be small enough for traffic and heavy enough to stop without going down if I lock up the breaks. Anyone with a VFR 400 or CBR 150 got any input?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bernie, there are heaps of nutters in the motorbike forum here, take a squiz....I believe Peaceblondie is a mad CBR150 owner.

I have a Suzuki Raider 150 for the Bangkok traffic, they are no longer manufactured in thailand but there are some available on the 2nd hand market. I bought mine new for about 48,000 baht last year and have spent about another 15,000 on it, just a few mods because i cant help myself. It is great in the traffic and EATS CBR150ies (lol....I just added that bit to fire up the CBR people).

Many years ago I use to bang around on a CBR400, it was too fat and cumbersome for the real tight traffic and as a result it ended up with atleast half a dozen extra (rear vision mirrors) over the years.

Anyway, take a look in the bike forum....PLENTY OF NUTTERS THERE!

Fold in the mirrors on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and it's as narrow as any other scooter out there but with 2-3 times more horsepower and WAY better brakes and handling.

0914Ninja3Sm.jpg

Free test rides at the Kawasaki Big Bike Showroom on Rama 9- go try one and see what you think. I was pleasantly surprised that a 250 could be so much fun! :o

Fold in the mirrors on the Kawasaki Ninja 250R and it's as narrow as any other scooter out there but with 2-3 times more horsepower and WAY better brakes and handling.

0914Ninja3Sm.jpg

Free test rides at the Kawasaki Big Bike Showroom on Rama 9- go try one and see what you think. I was pleasantly surprised that a 250 could be so much fun! :D

Absolutely agree on your HP claims & I will most likely get one of these to add to my collection, if qwakasaki doesnt release those er6n's here for a weekend bike......BUT MY RAIDER (with modifided braking system) will eat ur 250 on stopping performance and low speed tight weaving in tight traffic type stuff anytime......I'VE READ ALL YOUR POSTS....You mad nutter >>>>>>> Nice bike, glad to see its looking spik and span, as usual :o

Cheers Neverdie,

I'm honestly not familiar with the Suzuki Raider. Is it a 2 stroke?

I'm pretty conservative in Thai traffic 'cause you never know when Somchai is going to make a sudden lane change without consulting mirrors or signaling. (I got clipped a few weeks ago in exactly that manner, but fortunately didn't go down)

Quite amazes me to watch some of the Thai guys FLY through traffic in flip flops and a plastic brain bucket (or none). But then again, they usually have the scars to show for it. :o

Now the 2009 ER-6N may be a bit fat for negotiating BKK Rot Tit, but man it's going to be an awesome bike for touring SE Asia- :D

ER6NBlack2009.jpg

Happy Trails!

If you want an old, used two stroke, the NSR and others are cheap and old. New, there is the S. Raider and Honda CBR150 below 66,000 baht, even Honda Sonic 125 that is cheaper. In BKK, the Tiger Boxer 200 and 250, below 85K. And at 140K, the Ninja 250. I never could get down to a scooter here.

Just looked up the Suzuki Raider- looks a lot like the Sonic, and I know that those little bikes are very quick and very easy to modify.

16hp out of 150cc and dual disc brakes make this a motorcycle and not a scooter, even though it has the semi step through design.

Agreed- you'd be hard to catch in Bangkok traffic :o

the raider is a great scooter. If i had somewhere to keep one i would get one just to collect it. i would have bought one if i hadnt found this two stroke. Its fast as hel_l and handles incredible, just too light for wet roads. Even with the CBR150 rims and tires i put on it still tends to go down in the rain. My wife hates it because it is so loud. She is going to be so upset when i tell her i will not sell it when i get this 150. only the dash and tena came in two strokes. They are basically 125 NSRs. So much fun! My friends back home laugh when i tell them i went from $20,000 Harley custom in the USA to a $300 moped with a dirtbike engine in it.

post-40594-1228391596_thumb.jpg

post-40594-1228391744_thumb.jpg

You don't want to loose your ability to go between cars that are stopped at a light without taking out someone's mirror off.

I'm riding a 1 L bike, and am surprised that in more than 90 % of the cases I go between cars as all small bikes do.

Highly depends on what you want/need. When you like to do tours out of town, you'll get bored quickly with a (too) small bike.

Not just certain models but all of them. There is just not enough weight to stop you in a hurry.

Physics is a while ago, but if I am not completely wrong, weight is not in the equation for decelaration...

The driver locked up his breaks and the front tire flew to the right slamming them straight down on the road and under the car.

For locking up the brakes, there are usually two reasons: 1) the driver panics and "grabs" the brake instead of gently "squeezing" it, braking "progressively". 2) as you pointed out earlier, traction is too low which is in most cases a result of the dirty roads.

ABS would be a solution, but still only available for a few bikes.

The taxi or any other vehicle pulling out is - unfortunately - a normal situation in Thailand, so the only choice IMHO is to be prepared for that any time. (And ride at speeds only at which you feel confident with your braking capabilities.)

Get the 400 cc or more if you like the fun part. Get the small bike if you "have to" use a bike for communiting everyday, not more.

Safe ride pal!

Just looked up the Suzuki Raider- looks a lot like the Sonic, and I know that those little bikes are very quick and very easy to modify.

16hp out of 150cc and dual disc brakes make this a motorcycle and not a scooter, even though it has the semi step through design.

Agreed- you'd be hard to catch in Bangkok traffic :o

Yes, the Suzuki Raider 150 was made here in thailand up until August last year. Very popular with some thai guys....theres a club in BKK that are crazy about them, have a few funny vids on utube they call emselfs RAIDER CLUB THAILAND. They are great little bikes to modify, 6 speed, light>>>good for the hp. I replaced a heap of stuff on mine including virtually everything to do with braking & tis good fun NO GOOD FOR TOURING. I will send ya a pic....altho tis not as horny looking as that Ninja 250 LOL

For Bangkok traffic I can only recommend this.

LOL MJP......The funniest part of that is I actually have a mental picture of you in it driving around BKK! :o

Yep, I've given up with the bike thing and decided, considering the way the world's heading at the moment, to pop down to the military base at Sattahip and buy one of these!

post-62129-1228459288_thumb.jpg

MJP, I know it isnt a bike, but I think ive found a car for you, probably beat most bikes off the mark anyway....i think it originated somewhere in the UK, so you might be able to pack one to bring with you....beats riding one of these aweful scooters anyday.

uglycaraj3.jpg & looks like it would handle like a tank!

Edited by neverdie

MJP, I know it isnt a bike, but I think ive found a car for you, probably beat most bikes off the mark anyway....i think it originated somewhere in the UK, so you might be able to pack one to bring with you....beats riding one of these aweful scooters anyday.

uglycaraj3.jpg & looks like it would handle like a tank!

Ohhh!

My old car!

Where did you find it?

just looked at the Triumph Thruxton 900, light and narow enough plus dam_n good looking classic bike.

Are they selling these things in thailand.....they will be expensive no doubt?

I'd agree they a good looking classic bike....but light and narrow enuf for what??? :o

just looked at the Triumph Thruxton 900, light and narow enough plus dam_n good looking classic bike.

I'd agree they a good looking classic bike....but light and narrow enuf for what??? :o

Light enough to man handle it when found in odd parking positions like at the malls. Light so you can crisscross in-between cars that are stopped in traffic without loosing your balance and scratching a car. It can get incredibly tight and when you stop moving the heat is intense and the exhaust suffocating.

Narrow enough so that the handle bars won’t hit the mirrors of cars when riding between them. Every red light you come too, you have to ride between the cars to get out ahead of the traffic. Without this ability in the city there is no point in riding a bike. As well, you will constantly find yourself surrounded by groups of vehicles riding dangerously close to each other if you cannot ride between them to get away from them. It’s the quickest way to get cut off, run into a curb, crushed, or just run slap over.

Light enough to man handle it when found in odd parking positions like at the malls. Light so you can crisscross in-between cars that are stopped in traffic without loosing your balance and scratching a car. It can get incredibly tight and when you stop moving the heat is intense and the exhaust suffocating.

Narrow enough so that the handle bars won't hit the mirrors of cars when riding between them. Every red light you come too, you have to ride between the cars to get out ahead of the traffic. Without this ability in the city there is no point in riding a bike. As well, you will constantly find yourself surrounded by groups of vehicles riding dangerously close to each other if you cannot ride between them to get away from them. It's the quickest way to get cut off, run into a curb, crushed, or just run slap over.

I understand all of that, but its looking a bit fat to me, theres nothing like a smaller jobbie in my option for the tight bkk traffic, but what would i know, ive only been doing it for as long as i can rememba....im not sure wot you mean about running a #lap ova tho :D

Brit Bike in Phuket on the bypass. They are not too bulky so splitting lanes no problem. Not too expensive either 4-500,000. From what I understand they can be worked on anywhere. I loooked at the BMW but those are not as easy to fix and if you break down forget about anyone knowing how to work on them. The Thruxton, Speed Triple and Street Triple really great value IMHO. I think they are also making Triumph parts here in Thailand??

Brit bike are here already ??

I saw them in Jungceylon earlier in the year saying Brit Bike / Triumph would be here next, but they didnt have a firm date..

Where on the bypass ?? Or am I miss understanding something ??

heading towards Thalang past Lotus on the right I think it's the first u turn you will see it next to another big bike shop (forget the name)

Brit bike are here already ??

I saw them in Jungceylon earlier in the year saying Brit Bike / Triumph would be here next, but they didnt have a firm date..

Where on the bypass ?? Or am I miss understanding something ??

heading towards Thalang past Lotus on the right I think it's the first u turn you will see it next to another big bike shop (forget the name)

If heading from Tesco Lotus towards the main road / toyota dealership junction.

On the left is west coast cycles (or west coast bikes) Sumon of Ride Thailands operation.. On the right a bit further is TP motorcycles (who has had enough mentions on here about them) who have 2 shophouse units.

If you use Google earth smack a placemark and KMZ of where you say Brit Bike is, or where it is in relation to the above 2.. I will drop over.