Dollar Going To ######, What Should I Do?

No, real estate will not always be solid. Condos in Texas went to half their value in a year or two, and didn't recover within ten years. Many of us lost our life's savings, or however much of it was in real estate. Right now in various regions of the USA, there are incredible numbers of overvalued homes.

Gold? In the short term, purely speculative.

Edited by PeaceBlondie

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Latest from the Times Business forcast...

December 20, 2004

Strong growth tipped for UK stocks

By Gary Duncan, Economics Editor

INVESTORS in UK company shares can expect to grow richer next year, according to latest forecasts from stockbroker analysts.

However, it is reckoned that gains made by the FTSE 100 index of blue-chip shares will be eclipsed by stronger performances by some rival markets.

The consensus of some 100 analysts polled by Reuters suggests that the FTSE 100 will grow in value by 5.7 per cent in the next 12 months. When dividend income is taken into account, the returns will be in the region of 8 per cent well above the rate of inflation and the returns from putting money on bank deposit.

The consensus view hides a wide disparity of opinion. ING believes that the FTSE 100 will march up to 5,600, which compares with a close last Friday of 4,697. However, this prediction of a 19 per cent rise contrasts with the view from Fortis Bank that the index will fall 15 per cent to below 4,000.

Charles de Boissezon, of Deutsche Bank, believes the FTSE is “a solid play for 2005”, with robust UK growth, at least in the first six months of the new year.

Ian Smith, of Lehman Brothers, is optimistic over both global prospects and those for the UK. In London, he thinks the best performers will be mature companies that throw off large amounts of cash.

Kevin Gardiner, head of global equity strategy at HSBC, said: “What’s not priced in is a near-record gap between corporate profitability and the cost of capital. The returns that companies are making are far in excess of the cost of capital.”

Mr Gardiner added that, with company borrowings having fallen sharply, the improved profits were more solidly founded than during previous market booms.

The research suggest that equity markets are poised for another 12 months of steady if modest advances, despite a slowdown in earnings and world economic growth, and fears over oil prices, the dollar and the Middle East.

Analysts also believe that shares will shake off the chance that UK and US interest rates may rise. But the majority view is that UK and US shares will trail in the wake of stronger gains from European and Asian markets. The consensus forecast is that Japanese shares, for example, will jump by nearly one fifth.

Most analysts agree that American shares are set to turn in a weaker performance next year. The consensus is for the S&P 500 index of America’s biggest groups to rise by only 3.7 per cent, after a gain this year set to top 8 per cent. The view, though, is for European shares to outstrip the UK’s, despite recent weak growth, with the average forecaster pencilling in a 7.8 per cent rise in France’s CAC40 and Germany’s DAX. Globally, the bulls are also rushing for Japan, with the consensus looking for the Nikkei 225 index to add as much as 19 per cent next year.

Analysis undertaken by The Times suggests that forecasters’ accuracy is improving. In 2001 the FTSE 100 ended the year 28 per cent below the figure forecast.In 2003, however, the FTSE 100 ended just 0.5 per cent shy of the view expounded a year earlier.

If the market trades sideways for the rest of this year, the consensus of forecasts made this time last year will be similarly accurate.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1410025,00.html

and on ExCHANGE rates..

Powered by

http://www.irishabroad.com/Resources/ExRates.htm

Monday, December 20, 2004

1 British Pound = 1.94500 US Dollar

1 British Pound = 76.16425 Thai Baht

1 British Pound = 109.931 Philippine Peso

1 Euro = 1.33340 US Dollar

1 Euro = 52.21461 Thai Baht

1 Euro = 75.36377 Philippine Peso

A couple or more years ago (bad old days) when there was @ Bt 42=£ and hedged/fixed at Bt 25 to the greenback (for years) I was getting Phil.peso @45-46 =£ so considering the present xchange rate variations the Thai Bt.is doing

rather well against the big guys.

With the way the $us is behaving I would have expected to find it (bt) knocking at around Bt 95 =£... so it would appear at the moment to be holding up ( thaied up) quite well.

just wonder just how frayed the rope might be :o

Yangpuss,

You are panicking. You said it will be 15 years.

You will blame yourself when you buy other currencies when the dollar is very low and at the time you need them you maybe have to buy them back expensive. It can be a great loss.

Currencies go in cycles. Up and down. They always did and always shall.

Just do some calculations what will happen when the dollar rises in the next years and one where it falls. Calculate what interest you get in dollars and the other currencies. Make a graph of it.

Don't forget the costs of trading it is a big part.

If you have done all those calculatiosn you might be surprised.

Trading in curencies is normally done with millions and billions at one time.0.01 cent can be a lot for those numbers. I don't know your amount of money but i suspect that you need a very big fluctuation to profit from trading currencies.

Be 100% no 1000% sure of what you are doing. If not then just stick

with them.

What about saving some "new" money in another currency instead of breaking your savings that will cost you a big fine. In 15 years those saving can be a large amont. OR try some investing in stocks, bonds if you like a higher return although against a risk of course.

All this talk of chaos, planetary downfall, pestilence and pillage makes me wonder why any of you would consider a currency. Isn't gold the best bet in times like these? If you're on a rickety, rotting vessal in high seas with a bunch of starving refugees aboard, you'll want a piece of gold in your pouch, not worthless paper. Gold and real estate will always be solid.

Mbkudu, you've unintentionally hit upon the one reason I've always been skeptical of gold in times like these... you can't eat it. It's pretty, sparkly stuff and of absolutely no use to desperate people. Gold is only useful if people already have the basic needs of life. Now admittedly, things aren't that bad yet...but ultimately, when the world descends into madness with all the money concentrated in the hands of the Rockefellers and Gateses and Bushes...gold becomes useless to most people.

Yangpuss,

You are panicking. You said it will be 15 years.

You will blame yourself when you buy other currencies when the dollar is very low and at the time you need them you maybe have to buy them back expensive. It can be a great loss.

Currencies go in cycles. Up and down. They always did and always shall.

Just do some calculations what will happen when the dollar rises in the next years and one where it falls. Calculate what interest you get in dollars and the other currencies. Make a graph of it.

Don't forget the costs of trading it is a big part.

If you have done all those calculatiosn you might be surprised.

Trading in curencies is normally done with millions and billions at one time.0.01 cent can be a lot for those numbers. I don't know your amount of money but i suspect that you need a very big fluctuation to profit from trading currencies.

Be 100% no 1000% sure of what you are doing. If not then just stick

with them.

What about saving some "new" money in another currency instead of breaking your savings that will cost you a big fine. In 15 years those saving can be a large amont. OR try some investing in stocks, bonds if you like a higher return although against a risk of course.

Thanks Khun Jean. Very thought provoking advice. The question is, what is there about the US economy that makes it possible for the dollar to go back up substantially again? Is there anything but debt on the horizon?

About taking penalties on my CDs...I knew when I opened them that I would eventually take a penalty on them, because they're 10 year CDs at a not very good interest rate and I calculated that, even with the penalty, they would earn me more than keeping my money in a money market account. I knew that eventually when rates rose enough, it would be worthwhile to take the penalty and reinvest in a much higher rate CD. And the way people are talking, it sounds like the silver lining might be that as the US economy goes to h*ll, interest rates will rise very high, and hopefully that means savings rates too, though I'm sure the banks will try to only raise the lending rates, not the savings rates, and Bush will help them do that, since the Bushes have always been gofers for the Rockefellers, and the Rockies run most of the big banks, if I'm not mistaken.

As for saving "new currency," I'm afraid there isn't any coming in. I'm strictly living off savings and interest. :o

my 2 cents....

the usa is one of the most stable countries in the world.

how can I say this, you ask?

1) the usa has been blessed with many resources, more than most other countries in the world.

2) the usa is has only 2 neighbors. namely canada and mexico.

what does this all mean?

1) america can survive on it's own resources. ..not many other countries can do that.

2) america doesn't have to worry as much about somebody invading them. ..unlike other countries.

now, which currency would you feel more safe with? ..the euro where countries have a history of fighting one another, or the dollar where 2 oceans are natural barriers to foreign invasions?

would you rather have your currency in a country that can't survive on food supplied by it's own farms, or a country that can supply the whole world with food if it wanted to?

in a case of emergency like a war, I will put my bet on america any day.

yes, america is having some tough times right now. but you know what? the next harvest is just a year away. another paycheck is just a year away.

worse comes to worse, the usa could do what many other small countries have done in the past, screw the foreigner, and not pay them back.

..not that it would, but let's face it, the debt can be taken care of - in one way or another.

believe.

As for saving "new currency," I'm afraid there isn't any coming in. I'm strictly living off savings and interest.

If you're living off your interest and savings do you want to get into currency speculation? Yanq, I don't know your finances and I don't want to know. If you are troubled because things have gotten tight for you then I understand your concern. If you are concerned because you have missed an oportunity to make a killing off the dollar drop then see it as that, missed. If you are retired I would think you want something safe and not something which may wipe you out or give you a heart attack from worrying daily about your money. If you feel the need to be in the game then gamble only a small portion of your money.

You guys have gotten into worse case scenario stuff. Yanq do you wish to invest on a worse case scenario? If so, You can't eat gold. Gold has no value if people have nothing to trade for it or if people do not wish to try and eat it either. So buy land you can grow food on. Land that has its own water source. And have a large family so you can protect your land, your food and your lives!

Yanq posted: I think a lot of you have it wrong about the EU and all. It's all about globalization and world government. It's not about each country looking out for the interests of its people, it's about the elite of all countries planning on hoarding all the world's wealth for themselves and leaving crumbs for everybody else, and their countrymen be damned. This is the trend engineered by the elite, and it's accelerating, and all these federations of Asian states or European states or whatever, and global trade agreements, and global regulatory bodies like the WTO and Codex and all the rest, are all part of it.

Yanq, Thank you for bringing us back from the brink of atomic war and all the other stuff people started off on. :o

People are talking about conflicts and wars between all the major player nations. I don't see it. Why? Because corporations require a stable enviornment to conduct business. They plan future allocation of resources for growth and product development according to their 5 year, 10 year, and 25 year plans. Business requires stability. Corporations are now multinational (MNCs). That is the key. They cannot afford conflicts because their interests, investments and resources reach everywhere worldwide.

Now I see China joining into the MNC arena. They have purchased the laptop division of IBM. They will buy Maytag applianances next. They own RCA already. They contract for minerals and timber in Canada. When China has sufficient resources and interests worldwide they too will avoid war. The more interdependent we are for resources and labor and trade in general the less likely we will go to war because it will hurt the pocketbook of everyone.

So globaliztion may be a peaceful path. Governments will be relegated to warehousing the people and maintaining domestic stability. The average person can still profit from the MNC scenario by purchasing a shared interst in the MNCs, ie, stocks and bonds. If people can invest and share in the profits they will continue to support the system. The big players know they must leave enough room in the game for the average person to participate and profit or they will not play the game. They will withdraw their money and they will withdraw their belief in the system..

This is one way of looking at the world today. It's one theory and people being people they scew up theories and philosophies while pursuing their own intersts.

my two cents which ain't worth much.

-a

-------------------------------------------

If you can keep your head when all about you ...

Edited by aughie

my 2 cents....

1) the usa has been blessed with many resources, more than most other countries in the world.

2) the usa is has only 2 neighbors.  namely canada and mexico.

what does this all mean?

1) america can survive on it's own resources.  ..not many other countries can do that.

2) america doesn't have to worry as much about somebody invading them.  ..unlike other countries.

now, which currency would you feel more safe with?  ..the euro where countries have a history of fighting one another, or the dollar where 2 oceans are natural barriers to foreign invasions?

would you rather have your currency in a country that can't survive on food supplied by it's own farms, or a country that can supply the whole world with food if it wanted to?

yes, america is having some tough times right now.  but you know what?  the next harvest is just a year away.  another paycheck is just a year away.

worse comes to worse, the usa could do what many other small countries have done in the past, screw the foreigner, and not pay them back. 

..not that it would, but let's face it,  the debt can be taken care of - in one way or another.

believe.

Keep on dreaming, haha, keep on dreaming..the 'Old' American Dream.

The world has changed..don't you realize that?....America can survive...without Oil?

'The debt can be taken care of'..sure......by scr.wing the foreigner?

Of course, the US did it many times before, but you know what? 'the foreigners' are learning quickly!

Dream on.

eye.gif  <---- Anybody have any idea why this would be on the back of a $1 US bill?  What has the USA to do with Pyramids and the All Seeing Eye?

Hmmm.... wonder who is in 'control'? Keep your dollars  :D

Ravisher, Tripxcore here or maybe David Ike could fill you in on the 'Illuminati',

but you probably know all about that already, right? :D:o

Who says the markets fluctuate on their own, haa! That's a good one! :D

my 2 cents....

what does this all mean?

1) america can survive on it's own resources.  ..not many other countries can do that.

2) america doesn't have to worry as much about somebody invading them.  ..unlike other countries.

now, which currency would you feel more safe with?  ..the euro where countries have a history of fighting one another, or the dollar where 2 oceans are natural barriers to foreign invasions?

yes, america is having some tough times right now.  but you know what?  the next harvest is just a year away.  another paycheck is just a year away.

..not that it would, but let's face it,  the debt can be taken care of - in one way or another.

believe.

The world has changed..don't you realize that?....America can survive...without Oil?

Of course, the US did it many times before, but you know what? 'the foreigners' are learning quickly!

Dream on.

I think the operative idea here is that the debt gets taken care of, not by screwing the foreigner, but by screwing the average American. And all signs point to that as the way the debt will be taken care of. That's the reason they made the debt in the first place, if you understand the philosophy of "starve the beast" (look it up on google), which is the philosophy of the moneymen who pull Bush's strings.

The whole idea that Bush has, that he will get the economy going again by letting the dollar fall, thereby cheapening US exports, overlooks a few things. What does the US make anymore that anyone wants? GMO crops that the world rejects? Clothing and electronics mostly come from the far east and the third world now. While for sure there are some things the US makes that people want, I think a very large portion of it is Hollywood and entertainment and "intellectual property". And with the rising anti-US sentiment in the rest of the world, one wonders whether people will simply reject US goods, even Hollywood, at least more so than they have in the past.

With the US spending so much of its money on the military and so-called anti terrorism, and not on infrastructure and the needs of its people, the country faces the prospect of being a very well-protected place deteriorating from within.

So...I'm still thinking about what to do with me money. As for me personal situation, I was confidently looking forward to semi and then full retirement, having made the calculations that indicated I could do so comfortably with the money I had. But that was when the Dollar was at 45 baht. If it goes to 25 baht, that changes things a lot. :o

Gold has no value if people have nothing to trade for it or if people do not wish to try and eat it either.  So buy land you can grow food on.  Land that has its own water source.  And have a large family so you can protect your land,  your food and your lives!

Um...that's actually something I really want to do! Grow me own food, and stuff like that. But as I understand it, it's very difficult around here to find land with a water source that isn't contaminated by chemicals (another gift of America to the world, okay; I know there are evil European chemical companies too)

All the groundwater is contaminated! :o

So globaliztion may be a peaceful path.  Governments will be relegated to warehousing the people and maintaining domestic stability. The average person can still profit from the MNC scenario by purchasing a shared interst in the MNCs, ie, stocks and bonds.  If people can invest and share in the profits they will continue to support the system.  The big players know they must leave enough room in the game for the average person to participate and profit or they will not play the game.  They will withdraw their money and they will withdraw their belief in the system..

This is one way of looking at the world today.  It's one theory and people being people they scew up  theories and philosophies while pursuing their own intersts.

my two cents which ain't worth much.

Actually, I think you make some really insightful points there. The danger is that the MNCs will overdo their subjugation of the people as greed and power worm their ugly ways into their psyches.

Gold has no value if people have nothing to trade for it or if people do not wish to try and eat it either.  So buy land you can grow food on.  Land that has its own water source.  And have a large family so you can protect your land,  your food and your lives!

Um...that's actually something I really want to do! Grow me own food, and stuff like that. But as I understand it, it's very difficult around here to find land with a water source that isn't contaminated by chemicals (another gift of America to the world, okay; I know there are evil European chemical companies too)

All the groundwater is contaminated! :o

Invest in this century's blue gold.

Water is one of the most important sectors to be invested in this new century. The world’s population continues to grow and along with it the demand for water.

2.5% of the world's water supply is fresh water, and of this amount, over 90% is permanently frozen.

Water is a growth industry that is essential to our wellbeing. Global demand,mainly from China,is set to grow more than 20% annually. In addition to supply, the need for water treatment systems to provide clean and safe drinking water is one of the biggest and forthcoming issues of this century.Currently the water market is worth $460-$620 billion annually.When it comes to water, there are no alternatives. Water is as much a political resource as it is a natural resource. Between nations it is a question of who controls it.

Since 1970, water supplies have decreased by one-third. By mid-century population growth is expected to stabilize around 9.3 billion, 50 percent higher than where it is today. Based on these projections, nearly 7 billion people will live in water-scarce regions in the world by the year 2050.

2 billion people are affected by water shortages in over forty countries: 1.1 billion do not have sufficient drinking water and 2.4 billion have no provision for sanitation.

Some good water stock picks:

YOWR WTR ARTNA SWWC ION CUNO PNR

Dollar still going down, even with monkey currency like the Thai Baht

Speaking of monkey, the Chimp had another stupid thing to say today, that could explain why the dollar is down again :o

And by the way, I'm still negotiating with myself. People

keep -- I get a suggestion from here, and a suggestion from

there. So-and-so suggests something. And good Americans such

as yourself are trying to get me to negotiate with myself.

Q: Let me just bring up another suggestion. (Laughter.)

THE PRESIDENT: Another chance to negotiate with myself?

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/p/tp-se0064.html

my 2 cents....

what does this all mean?

believe.

Dream on.

America can survive...without Oil.

they have all the tools to make alternative energy sources.

if they wanted to, they could have done this a long time ago. ...it's just not the right time to change.

...more so for foreign countries than for the usa. (can you imagine what would happen to the middle east if they did.)

ugh! the oil debate again.

hey! did you know that at one time, the usa could have conquered the world, and if they did, they would have had control of ALL the oil in the world? yes, it's true.

simple, when the usa invented the atom bomb, they were the only ones to have it for over 3 years.

do you wonder why they didn't conquer the world? ..simple, because they are not evil. now, if hitler invented the bomb first, what do you think he would have done?

check out these websites...

http://www.ask.ne.jp/~hankaku/english/chronotbl.html

http://www.dannen.com/decision/index.html

last, but not least...

if you want to match the generosity of america with other countries, I think you will find that america has done more to help other countries than MOST other countries in this world. fact of the matter, compared to many other countries, the usa is a saint.

check out the following websites.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/democrac/57.htm

...dreaming???

no, I don't think so.

the american dream is real. and growing....

you say the world is changing, and I'm not aware of it??? perhaps you should read the papers more.... it seems to me there are more democracies out there than existed 50 years ago.

believe.

Latest from the Times Business forcast...

December 20, 2004

Strong growth tipped for UK stocks

By Gary Duncan, Economics Editor

INVESTORS in UK company shares can expect to grow richer next year, according to latest forecasts from stockbroker analysts.

However, it is reckoned that gains made by the FTSE 100 index of blue-chip shares will be eclipsed by stronger performances by some rival markets.

The consensus of some 100 analysts polled by Reuters suggests that the FTSE 100 will grow in value by 5.7 per cent in the next 12 months. When dividend income is taken into account, the returns will be in the region of 8 per cent well above the rate of inflation and the returns from putting money on bank deposit.

The consensus view hides a wide disparity of opinion. ING believes that the FTSE 100 will march up to 5,600, which compares with a close last Friday of 4,697. However, this prediction of a 19 per cent rise contrasts with the view from Fortis Bank that the index will fall 15 per cent to below 4,000.

Charles de Boissezon, of Deutsche Bank, believes the FTSE is “a solid play for 2005”, with robust UK growth, at least in the first six months of the new year.

Ian Smith, of Lehman Brothers, is optimistic over both global prospects and those for the UK. In London, he thinks the best performers will be mature companies that throw off large amounts of cash.

Kevin Gardiner, head of global equity strategy at HSBC, said: “What’s not priced in is a near-record gap between corporate profitability and the cost of capital. The returns that companies are making are far in excess of the cost of capital.”

Mr Gardiner added that, with company borrowings having fallen sharply, the improved profits were more solidly founded than during previous market booms.

The research suggest that equity markets are poised for another 12 months of steady if modest advances, despite a slowdown in earnings and world economic growth, and fears over oil prices, the dollar and the Middle East.

Analysts also believe that shares will shake off the chance that UK and US interest rates may rise. But the majority view is that UK and US shares will trail in the wake of stronger gains from European and Asian markets. The consensus forecast is that Japanese shares, for example, will jump by nearly one fifth.

Most analysts agree that American shares are set to turn in a weaker performance next year. The consensus is for the S&P 500 index of America’s biggest groups to rise by only 3.7 per cent, after a gain this year set to top 8 per cent. The view, though, is for European shares to outstrip the UK’s, despite recent weak growth, with the average forecaster pencilling in a 7.8 per cent rise in France’s CAC40 and Germany’s DAX. Globally, the bulls are also rushing for Japan, with the consensus looking for the Nikkei 225 index to add as much as 19 per cent next year.

Analysis undertaken by The Times suggests that forecasters’ accuracy is improving. In 2001 the FTSE 100 ended the year 28 per cent below the figure forecast.In 2003, however, the FTSE 100 ended just 0.5 per cent shy of the view expounded a year earlier.

If the market trades sideways for the rest of this year, the consensus of forecasts made this time last year will be similarly accurate.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/...1410025,00.html

and on ExCHANGE rates..