Thai Farang Child

doosyhindleg

hello all,

would like some advice on having a child in thai,i am australian & my thai wife & i are concidering starting a family.

would it be better to have the child in australia or thai? ,we are currently living in thailand & we have not applied for

a spouse visa to australia as yet.are there much more benifits to wait & have the child in australia?this is providing

we ever get the visa granted.

thanks in advance for any sensible advice.

Hi Doosy,

I would think one would definitely be better of born in Australia then Thailand....

A few questions ,are you planning to start your new family in Thailand or Australia? Is your wife pregnant already?

Much more benifits for the kid....Getting visa granted should`nt be too hard just time and money....

My knowledge isn`t much....BUT as an Australian...i think its better to have it in AUS :o

Chok dee mate!

thanks junki3korean

my wife is not pregnant as yet & we were refused a spouse visa to australia in april/may 2008 on the grounds we had not been

together long enough to satisfiy immigration .we are both keen to have a child within the next year.

if she was to have a baby in thailand i would then have to make arrangements for the childs visa also,

mmm having the child in oz does sound like a better option,

thank you very much.

doosyhindleg,

I am Australian, my wife is Thai.

We had our first baby in Thailand, by choice.

I cannot speak highly enough of the treatment that we recieved at the Hospital, and also with the Oz Embassy afterwards getting all of our paperwork in order.

Whilst there were certainly some hoops to jump through as far as getting the little ones citizenship and OZ passport, it was not too bad.

The application for my wife's Spouse Visa was submitted after the baby was born, and the fact that we had started a family did contribute to the success of this application, I believe.

We are about to have our second child here in Australia, and i can say that the hospital system here is worse than in Thailand.

Medicare does not cover a lot of the costs, and we have (after 7 months) spent more in OZ than we did in Thailand for the whole pregnancy including birth etc.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Do the PRO/CONS for the kid and your family:

- Family: Proximity of the respective families, how close you ( ...and your kid) need/want to be from them ...

- Education: Can you afford a "good" education/school in Bangkok? (Define good ...)

- Career: Impact to your career

- Environment

- Visa

Then make your choice based on your priorities.

I would recomend Thailand for the birth. The medical costs will be significantly cheaper and I think you wife will have a much "Happier" pregnancy.

I remember the cravings and things my wife wanted during her pregnancy and I can't imagine trying to find those things back in Farangland or if I could find themhow far I would have to drivetoget them and how much they would cost. Then she would most likely say "never mind it doesn't taste the same".

Not to mention if she was here she would have her family support network with her during the pregnancy and after the birth. She will miss her family teribly during her pregnancy if she is in Australia.

If you situation allows you to. I would recomend staying in Thailand for the pregnancy and at least the first year or two afterthe birth.

doosyhindleg,

I cannot speak highly enough of the treatment that we recieved at the Hospital, and also with the Oz Embassy afterwards getting all of our paperwork in order.

Whilst there were certainly some hoops to jump through as far as getting the little ones citizenship and OZ passport, it was not too bad.

The application for my wife's Spouse Visa was submitted after the baby was born, and the fact that we had started a family did contribute to the success of this application, I believe.

We are about to have our second child here in Australia, and i can say that the hospital system here is worse than in Thailand.

Medicare does not cover a lot of the costs, and we have (after 7 months) spent more in OZ than we did in Thailand for the whole pregnancy including birth etc.

I'd have to agree with this statement in the most part, the cost was significantly cheaper and my lady was much happier being amongst her family during the pregnancy. Not sure how the current OZ $5,000 baby bonus impacts on any decision though, it might even be possible to claim this even if your child is born in Thailand?? The embassy in Bangkok were super helpful and it did I think aid in the spouse visa process to have a ready made family to show the permanent nature of the relationship. We moved back to Oz when the child was 1 year old, she is now 18 (an there are times I wish I'd left her with the in-laws, not really), so I guess unless the $5,000 is attractive/available you can go either way.

So $5000 is a little over Bt100,000. Is that just paid out in one go ? Nice if you can get it but hardly worth moving country for.

The OP is trying to way up what to do, this would be one factor and yes it is paid in one go just after the baby is born, then depending on thier income there is quite healthy payment of social security benifits.

thanks junki3korean

my wife is not pregnant as yet & we were refused a spouse visa to australia in april/may 2008 on the grounds we had not been

together long enough to satisfiy immigration .we are both keen to have a child within the next year.

if she was to have a baby in thailand i would then have to make arrangements for the childs visa also,

thank you very much.

H i may be I can be of some help as I have already been through this before .In my oppinion you would be better off having the child in thailand it will be cheaper and it will make no difference to the baby having duel nationalities and two passports .you go to the australian embassy in BK and you get an australian passport for the baby without any problems ,my daughter has both Thai and Australian passports,so she can travell to aus.as an Australian and back to Thailand as a thai.

And I feel sure your wife would feel much happier being surrounded by her family when she has the baby.

thanks junki3korean

thank you very much.

H i may be I can be of some help as I have already been through this before .In my oppinion you would be better off having the child in thailand it will be cheaper and it will make no difference to the baby having duel nationalities and two passports .you go to the australian embassy in BK and you get an australian passport for the baby without any problems ,my daughter has both Thai and Australian passports,so she can travell to aus.as an Australian and back to Thailand as a thai.

And I feel sure your wife would feel much happier being surrounded by her family when she has the baby.

Unless there are some specific factors about you personally that you havent mentioned then thailand would be better for the reasons already pointed out. We had our son here and would certainly do it again.

Obviously research your hospital (plenty of threads in thaivisa to help - use the search button) to find a good one.

As far as I am aware your wife does NOT need oz residency for you to get the baby bonus - unless they have changed the regs recently. Search to find the answer in the web site of the family assistance office

- CB

i would then have to make arrangements for the childs visa also, You are right about that.

If you have a child in Australia, you can easily get a Thai birth certificate as well, (as of 2004 it was free, even] whereas you would not be able to get a Ozzie BC for your child born in los. ---------------

are you dealing with Ozzies to get your wife's visa or is like for Canadians, where you have to deal with snarky Thai women who sit behind glass at the Canadian Embasssy..?

sometimes it is easier to travel to a 3rd country and then get her a visa from there.

for Canadians it Singapore.

So $5000 is a little over Bt100,000. Is that just paid out in one go ? Nice if you can get it but hardly worth moving country for.

The OP is trying to way up what to do, this would be one factor and yes it is paid in one go just after the baby is born, then depending on thier income there is quite healthy payment of social security benifits.

and the Rudd govt has just announced and distributed free money (simply a bonus) to families and pensioners.

aim is to stimulate economy.

you have already missed that, so not really applicable.

but Im sure the Govt will come up with something similarly bizarre again :o

bottom line is - you get more out of the Govt if you are a family in Aus. I need to get married and have kids, or I can look at my tax going towards buying people's barbie dolls :D

doosyhindleg,

I'd support Aussietraveller 100%. Our only child was born in Khon Kaen by Caesarean and we couldn't have hoped for better care. And it was very cheap. The antenatal care in Australia during the pregnancy was OK, but the paperwork and general hassle factor was much higher than in Thailand. After the birth I took my daughter's Thai birth certificate to the OZ embassy and within a couple of weeks we had both a citizenship certificate and a passport. We also got a Thai passport within a few days from the office in KK. So from the paperwork point of view we had no problems.

My wife chose to return to Thailand for the delivery mostly because she wanted to be in a familiar environment and have her family around her. I think that is a very important consideration at such an important family moment. Communication between the mother and health care staff is of course much easier in Thailand, which assuming there are no complications, makes for a more relaxed delivery. The KK hospital had no problems with me being present in the operating theatre for the delivery and I was made to feel very welcome.

So my vote is for Thailand. Happy to discuss further by pm if I can help.

hello all,

would like some advice on having a child in thai,i am australian & my thai wife & i are concidering starting a family.

would it be better to have the child in australia or thai? ,we are currently living in thailand & we have not applied for

a spouse visa to australia as yet.are there much more benifits to wait & have the child in australia?this is providing

we ever get the visa granted.

thanks in advance for any sensible advice.

Depends on whether u want your kid to grow up as a whingeing Ozzie or not. Think about it carefully.