Price Of A Ps2 Player

Longsands

Going to buy a PS2 for my daughter's Xmas present. In Lotus Nong Khai, they have a PS2 player for I think just under 15,000 B. The Indochine (Thasadet) Market has just started selling them for 8,500 B prior to any bargaining. At the market they have been smuggled in so are in fact 'duty free' and don't come with a receipt, although they DO honour the year's guarantee (past experience).

As I'm coming to BKK next week I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me the major outlets price of a PS2 in BKK and any other places that might sell them cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

The cheapest place in Bangkok you can buy them is probably the MBK. I'm not sure about price - I bought mine in Hong kong - But 8,500bht is about how much i paid, and sounds like a good deal. Don't buy hardware or games from supermarkets - charge way too much !! In mbk or pantip, the games are about 120bt. If you're planning a trip to Malaysia, they're about 50 baht.

Thanks very much for all the input.

One of the reasons I want to get one is to play DVD's - killing 2 birds etc. What I gather then, is that I must get the player 'chipped' if I want to play games and DVD's from other countries but if I just buy the Thai copies then they should play no problem?

By the way, the games are being sold up here for 50 Baht (PS2) and 25 or 30 Baht for PS1.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum

Cheers.

Thanks very much for all the input.

One of the reasons I want to get one is to play DVD's - killing 2 birds etc.  What I gather then, is that I must get the player 'chipped' if I want to play games and DVD's from other countries but if I just buy the Thai copies then they should play no problem?

By the way, the games are being sold up here for 50 Baht (PS2) and 25 or 30 Baht for PS1.

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum

Cheers.

If you are buying the psx 2 in thailand, the machine will already be chipped. the chip is needed to play thai copies games, and original games from other regions. copies of DVD movies are 'all region', so will play regardless of chipping or not.

if you want to play original DVD movies from other regions, you need to make sure the chip does this - as i said earlier, not all chips will do this !

I find SaphanLek as the best place for PS2 the price vary between 7000 to 9500 bahts , careful a lot of parts are inferior quality in the cheap machine .

i do not think to have a play station to view dvd is good idea , some dvd block before the end .

the best I find was to buy a duty free playstation in Australia and get new chip put in sapanlek .

a few important points!

Make sure you buy a SCPC-5000x (x for any number).

The older models are not that good.

If you buy a slimline PS2, take care on the guarantee, let them swear!

It has a bug in the laser controller.

about chips some of the cheap chips also make problems

on an NTSC PS2 also with the expensive chips you can never watch PAL movies.

For some infos look at: www.psxtune.com there is a nice overview as well they ship to Thailand :o

• 4 weeks later...