Help Needed With Honda Phantom

tnbosco

Being tall, I would like to create more leg room on my Phantom. How do you move the foot controls forward? Are there any corresponding adjustments that can be made to the stock seat? Were can I find a Phantom shop manual in english, or one I can use online? Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. S

Being tall, I would like to create more leg room on my Phantom. How do you move the foot controls forward? Are there any corresponding adjustments that can be made to the stock seat? Were can I find a Phantom shop manual in english, or one I can use online? Many thanks in advance for your help and suggestions. S

The Phantom is made for small people! I hated the riding position, couldn't move my bum back and fore due to the ridge on the seat. I thought about redoing the seat so that the rider is sitting higher and the ridge is removed, so I could move back further to stretch the legs. In the end I sold it, though....

Manual in English is available, I got a photo copy from the main Honda dealer on Phuket with the new bike in 2007, see your dealer and smile :o

I can't see why this couldn't be done. I don't know the Phantom, but it should be possible to make a flat plate to bolt the footpegs to which will move them forwards 2 or 3 inches. Then you will need to have the linkage for the gear chance re-made longer. The rear brake hydraulics should be easier. The saet unit may need a spot of welding to raise the overall height and a new seat fabricated. Basically it all sounds possible, you just need to find a competant engineer and to be sure enough of what need to be done, and exactly how to do it, and then watch him like a hawk as he does it

I can't see why this couldn't be done. I don't know the Phantom, but it should be possible to make a flat plate to bolt the footpegs to which will move them forwards 2 or 3 inches. Then you will need to have the linkage for the gear chance re-made longer. The rear brake hydraulics should be easier. The saet unit may need a spot of welding to raise the overall height and a new seat fabricated. Basically it all sounds possible, you just need to find a competant engineer and to be sure enough of what need to be done, and exactly how to do it, and then watch him like a hawk as he does it

Rather than do all of that work why not just get a bigger bike? There are good deals to be had on 2nd hand 'cruiser bikes' like Steeds, Viragos, Magnas, Shadows, etc.

Yer sell that slow piece of <deleted> to a Thai they love em and get ya self a proper bike. even a CBR150 is better than a Phantom. but certainly BigbikeBKK is right there are a lot of custom style bikes available steeds etc for not a lot of money. not my cup of tea but if ya like em, you like em :D:o

Allan

Yer sell that slow piece of <deleted> to a Thai they love em and get ya self a proper bike. even a CBR150 is better than a Phantom. but certainly BigbikeBKK is right there are a lot of custom style bikes available steeds etc for not a lot of money. not my cup of tea but if ya like em, you like em :D:o

Allan

LOL Allan- I was trying not to hurt the feelings of Phantom-lovers out there, but I agree with you 110%

Honda Phantom- like a chubby bargirl; built for comfort, not speed :D:D:D

Allan

LOL Allan- I was trying not to hurt the feelings of Phantom-lovers out there, but I agree with you 110%

IMO I never found the Phantom to be comfortable for longer than a few clicks.

I was told by the main honda dealer in Ratchaburi that there is no english manual, a tv member was kind enough to give me a copy of an older manual. Some hate the phantom and some love it, me I got no problem with it but I am a small guy, 5 foot 6 inches in hight.

Allan

ha ha.. The old "well you wouldnt want to let your mates see you riding one" fits here !!

• 1 month later...
A good friend of mine rides a Phantom. I try HARD not to make fun of him... :D:D:o

picture312255023183.jpg

I wish you would all stop knocking the (PHANTOM),im 6ft 2nich,and dont have a prob,its much better than the 125 i had before,mind you i am 62 so that buz for speed has gone,but anyway guys i find it comfortable and reliable,(everybody to their own).

Rather than do all of that work why not just get a bigger bike? There are good deals to be had on 2nd hand 'cruiser bikes' like Steeds, Viragos, Magnas, Shadows, etc.

Ever since I got rid of my last Virago d/t paperwork problems, I have been looking for another. I just havnt found any advertised around. If anyone knows of a 500 or 750 Virago in VGC going I would like to hear about it.

cheers

Freddie

Ever since I got rid of my last Virago d/t paperwork problems, I have been looking for another. I just havnt found any advertised around. If anyone knows of a 500 or 750 Virago in VGC going I would like to hear about it.

cheers

Freddie

First off, shame on me for dissing the Phantom. I'm very sorry and I apologize- that's not like me- I think I must have been drinking or grumpy when I wrote that. While I'd never ride one, any bike is better than no bike!

Now- as far as finding a used Virago in VGC... Seems to me most Viragos in Thailand are quite old. Is a Honda Steed close enough for you? No idea what your budget is. I see tons of Steeds for sale here and there at bike weeks and online. Some are quite beautiful. Honda Shadows and the occasional Magna too. Of course they're all imports and I'd be willing to bet that the majority have dodgy paperwork so you'll have to be vigilant to find one that's completely legit.

Or, if you don't want to run all over the place looking at used bikes and want complete peace of mind why don't you look at the Kawasaki Vulcan 900? Again, not my kind of bike, but if you're looking for a cruiser I'd think the Vulcan might be the way to go:

http://www.kawasakibigbike.com/specification.html

img_cu_red.jpg

Not cheap, but you can finance and I imagine a bike like this will hold its value quite well.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi All

Phantoms & Chubby bargirls have something in common they are both enthusiastic and eager to please heheh, just after I bought my Phantom I had the Honda dealer fit the footplates and longer gearchange and brake levers as I didn't like the position of the footpegs, cost about 2800 Baht. As well as being able to stretch your legs I am certain it has made the gear change more positive as the longer lever exerts more force for less effort maybe I am imagining it but the gearchange seems much slicker.

I used to have to fish about for 1st gear when stopping at the lights for example but no longer, straight in like a rat up a drainpipe, or to keep on thread a lounge lizard up a chubby bargirl. I regularly commute to work 55 Kms each way with little discomfort, the thing about the Phantom, you either love 'em or loathe them there is no in between, mind you I wear dark glasses and a false beard when riding mine.

The Man with No Shame