1year Visa For 23yr Old Uk Resident

Great forum ! I have scanned through the forums constantly and am still confused as to what visa i should apply for i have tried contacting the consulates in the UK but have had no replies,I wish to stay in Thailand for 1 year during my time i would like to be a monk for 3 months, Learn Thai, Do voluntary work and get married to a thai citizen, can i qualify for an O visa or is that only for people aged over 50 ? any help as to which visa is appropriate would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Great forum ! I have scanned through the forums constantly and am still confused as to what visa i should apply for i have tried contacting the consulates in the UK but have had no replies,I wish to stay in Thailand for 1 year during my time i would like to be a monk for 3 months, Learn Thai, Do voluntary work and get married to a thai citizen, can i qualify for an O visa or is that only for people aged over 50 ? any help as to which visa is appropriate would be much appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Steve

With a formal letter from the Abbott of your proposed Temple, you might stand a chance.

You should contact the consulate at Hull. http://www.thaiconsul-uk.com/downloads-and-visas.aspx

They will probably issue you a multiple entry non immigratnt O visa to visit family/friends.

This visa would be valid for 1 year and would allow you enter and stay for a period of 90 days, After 90 days you would have to make a border run and re-enter for another 90 days. Leaving just before the experation date and getting another 90 days would give you almost 15 months.

During your time here you can decide exactly what you want to do.

Edited by ubonjoe

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Good advice by Joe. Hull Consulate are recognised as being helpful and have a clear website too.

You certainly appear to have your year mapped out, especially with the last option. I would like to suggest you read 'Thailand Fever' by Chris Pirazzi&Vitida Vasant (assuming you havn't already) as its a good insight into the different cultures and pitfalls.

Chok Dee and I hope you or your parents have sufficient income for this quest.

:o

Dave

Thanks for the useful comments especially ubonjoe to the others my reasons for going to Thailand are mine and thanks for your opinions even though they weren't asked for, Money shouldn't be a problem Dave i should easily make 1 million baht even with exchange rate by april, the good thing with being young :o thanks again, I'll get in touch with Hull and see what they say !

Thanks in advance,

Steve

With a formal letter from the Abbott of your proposed Temple, you might stand a chance.

This option has been abused in the past and may not be easy to get.

The multi-entry Non Imm O from Hull is your best option.

If a border run comes up whilst you are a monk you will probably be allowed to make the trip,

or the Temple will help you to extend your visa at that time.

There are only a limited number of Temples taking foreign (non Thai Speaking) novices.

You should do some research before leaving the UK.

There are a few Temples in the UK, I know of one in Wimbledon, South London,

they may be able to help you.

I have spoken to Hull and they said there shouldn't be a problem with a O visa, cheers Oxford seems if you don't have a pension your not welcome sometimes, what temple did you stay at ? i am learning Thai first and want to do it in Thai,

I have spoken to Hull and they said there shouldn't be a problem with a O visa, cheers Oxford seems if you don't have a pension your not welcome sometimes, what temple did you stay at ? i am learning Thai first and want to do it in Thai,

Yes. Hull will give a Non O multi entry. This can be stretched out to 15 months.

good on you mate I did the same thing not so long ago at the same age :o

ignore all the jealous wanke_rs who only found Thailand in their twilight years!

I was 21 the first time I landed in Thailand and that was in the early 70's.

Still love it.