Nokia 5800 A New Iphone Killer?

livinthailandos

Happen to find out about this phone while reading yesterday's bangkok post database section, not sure when it will arrive but looks like just another brand trying to take a spot towards a so called Iphone killer, the link can be found here

http://www.nokiahowto.com/phones/phonecomp...800_xpressmusic

check under specifications to see what it has also, have read most of them, found them ok, have to wait and see what the phone comprises of when it arrives. Like the iphone but dont like the fact that cannot change battery, or add more memory to the phone. would like to hear everyone's comments or opinions on this phone.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the phone for 20,000 Baht from MBK a couple days ago. It is a very good phone.

It looks good, with 35hrs claimed music listening time, and up to 16gb flash drive.

I've pretty much had Nokia's since my first phone, and for the first time, i'm pretty disappointed with my latest Nokia N70. It's big, slow to boot up and move between different functions, the battery life is not that good, and the thing that bugs me the most is the headset connection. Instead of a jackplug, it's a really fiddly multi-connector thing.

Joe - how does this phone compare with the points above?

I got the phone for 20,000 Baht from MBK a couple days ago. It is a very good phone.

It looks good, with 35hrs claimed music listening time, and up to 16gb flash drive.

I've pretty much had Nokia's since my first phone, and for the first time, i'm pretty disappointed with my latest Nokia N70. It's big, slow to boot up and move between different functions, the battery life is not that good, and the thing that bugs me the most is the headset connection. Instead of a jackplug, it's a really fiddly multi-connector thing.

The battery Life is very good. Don't even have to charge that much. The phone is light. It is very easy to move around the phone to the other apps on it.

Edited by Joe1241

The battery Life is very good. Don't even have to charge that much. The phone is light. It is very easy to move around the phone to the other apps on it.

I am also keeping my fingers crossed for this phone to be released in Thailand. It's official launch date is 15th December in Thailand but the phone will start appearing only in Jan 09 here in the local shops.

20,000 price seems to be fine since it's been imported from some other country and the selling guy also needs to make some profit. The standard price is around 13,900 THB though, of which it'll be released officially here in Thailand

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Does anybody know url's of internet phoneshops in Thailand to check price and stock of the new Nokia 5800?

I asked in the local Nokia shop in Udonthani but nobody there could give any information.

Reading articles telling me that it will be available in januari 2009 in the phoneshops. Same story, nobody in the phoneshops can give an answer.

If anybody knows something, please post your comment here. I read about a selling price in MBK for 20.000 THB. This would be even more expensive than in Europe.

Thanks. :o

If the official price is 14k then it's quite a lot cheaper than the iPhone which I just heard rumors sells unlocked and official from True for 24,500 baht.

hmm sorry heard it was going for like 14k, then if the price id that mich different get a htc touch, i love mine

• 2 weeks later...

I bought mine last month in MBK for 18,000 Baht last month. If you look at official site of the Nokia you wil see this phone will be officaily in Thailand for 13,500 Baht and at MBK for about 12,500 Baht on Feb. 20th. I post that on forum few days ago.

The phone is a Great handy small phone but nothing close to Iphone. I have both. The Nokia 5800 is totaly right now offer no application and no Nokia phone can compete with Apple Itun Store. Iphoen currently offer over 15,000 applicaiton free or very cheap on Itun Store.

Check the Nokia Web Site : http://www.nokia.co.th/preorder

I've seen this phone during my trip to Malaysia. Would have liked it if it was a bit thinner. Nevertheless a nice phone for the price. Can't go wrong not buying it!

If Nokia is your thing, take a look at N85. A superb phone that gives you functions of a N96 for 10K baht less. Thats my next buy for sure.

• 4 weeks later...

i see comments like "its nothing like the iphone" and "cant compete" with iphone

someone tell me why

i have seen many overseas reviews on these 2 phones and the Nokia wins hands down.

cheaper, faster, smarter than the iphone

so please comment on the specs of the phone and what you think one does better than the other

dont be caught up in the nonsense fashion braindrain that IPHONE has created. Make sensible comments based on how the phones work and not that you are the first one on the block to own the phone (at more than double the price)

:o

Went to the Launch of the Nokia 5800 today & it was absolutely manic there, must have been 3000 people in line for their new phones.

Got the phone after an hour or so in line & very impressed with it......a friend has the iphone so it will be interesting to see over the next couple of days while we compare the two. Price is good in my opinion 13,520.

:o

How many Nokia phones have there been over the years.. hundreds.. thousands? Apple comes out with ONE phone and it fully blows Nokia out of the water.

The problem with Nokia is that in order to have all the cool technology they offer, you need to carry 8 of their phones at once. The Iphone just puts it all in one.

Just so bored of this Nokia philosophy of coming out with a new phone every week.

How many Nokia phones have there been over the years.. hundreds.. thousands? Apple comes out with ONE phone and it fully blows Nokia out of the water.

The problem with Nokia is that in order to have all the cool technology they offer, you need to carry 8 of their phones at once. The Iphone just puts it all in one.

Just so bored of this Nokia philosophy of coming out with a new phone every week.

Well after using the Nokia 5800 for the last few days & comparing it to the Iphone, which our friend here has, our friend has made her decision to ditch her aweful iphone and get a Nokia 5800.

I'm not so fussed on getting freaky about telephones BUT the way people carry on about the Iphone amazes me...you need to build a bridge and get over it!

The Nokia 5800 is a great phone & I have no doubt any day now some brand somewhere will bring out one thats better....some of the Apple people need to get a grip on that OR years from now they will go screaming to their graves .... "Nothing beats my Iphone" :o:D:D weird dribblediks

It is a standard 3.5 mm headphone jack so any standard headphones can be connected.

I bought mine in Singapore a month ago and I really like it....

Slightly off topic...

Where can I get an adapter so i could use a 3.5 in my phone that only has a 2.5 jack?

Well after using the Nokia 5800 for the last few days & comparing it to the Iphone, which our friend here has, our friend has made her decision to ditch her aweful iphone and get a Nokia 5800.

I'm not so fussed on getting freaky about telephones BUT the way people carry on about the Iphone amazes me...you need to build a bridge and get over it!

The Nokia 5800 is a great phone & I have no doubt any day now some brand somewhere will bring out one thats better....some of the Apple people need to get a grip on that OR years from now they will go screaming to their graves .... "Nothing beats my Iphone" :o:D:D weird dribblediks

Its a well-known phenomenon, apple maniacs.

Personally, I dislike Itunes, bloatware on a par with windows software, and I really dislike itunes selling drm. I do not have an Ipod and their insistence on selling DRM music that is difficult (possible but a pain) to convert to a regular MP3 that I can play on my MP3 player makes me avoid their products.

Apple comes out with ONE phone and it fully blows Nokia out of the water.

Nokia still sells more phones in a week than Apple in a whole year, so let's not get carried away here.

I will most likely buy touchscreen phone next, but it's very unlikely to be iPhone.

Two reasons - it's too old, there are so many new models every month that I don't want to buy a phone released two years ago. Second reason is that I can't imagine a phone that can't snap a picture and send it in an instant, instead of fuc_king around with e-mail then calling people to check their inboxes, and 99% never configure their phones to download e-mails anyway.

Don't forget that phones are like fashion accessories, they become outdated very fast.

How does the 5800 compare with the N95 (Black) 8gb version?

Sorry John, I have never used the N95, so I cant help.

Plus, I am very impressed with the quality of the camera on the 5800, its 3.2mp, its dead easy to take a reasonably nice pic & within moments of snapping it one has wizzed it off in an email in no time at all, even techno dummies like me can mangage it.

Its a great mp3 player too, the speakers in it are far far better than the one of the iphone, its lighter as well, so can still put it in my top pocket without my shirt being dragged off my back.

still early days, but for its price, its a perla. I have no doubt something better will be released in due course.....i hold no bias towards any brand or creed, just as long as its easy to use and has most the mods. I like using the gps....ive heard other phones have a real view gps or something, that would be good.