Nokia 5800 A New Iphone Killer?

livinthailandos

Thanks Neverdie...and ouch, that doesnt sound too good. Maybe just unlucky rather than a common problem?

--

Also, i read that you can change the 5800 to an iphone UI by downloading a theme. Anyone tried that out?

edit: Does changing the theme slow up the interface at all?

Edited by eek

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Neverdie...and ouch, that doesnt sound too good. Maybe just unlucky rather than a common problem?

--

Also, i read that you can change the 5800 to an iphone UI by downloading a theme. Anyone tried that out?

edit: Does changing the theme slow up the interface at all?

eek, we have downloaded heaps of different things onto it, including themes & it hasnt changed anything speed wise. I think it would be wise to put ur hand in ur pocket for one of those kaspersky mobile phone internet protection programs, plus a couple of hundred baht for the screen protector.

The camera is amazing on the phone.

Im not sure about our problem being an unlucky one, i would suggest we are far from the first to have the problem as they seemed to know exactly all about the problem at the front desk, which is too much of a coincidence for me. Ohh and the telephone was fixed in about 2 hours flat after they told me it would take up to a week. Pity because no sooner had I got home from Bkk and the telephone rang to tell us it was ready to pick up :)

So, yesterday I bought the 8500...and it is MJZ2095.gif!!! but yeh er..anyway...i read something somewhere about free music for a year. Im guessing not available here? Anyone know?

My friend's Sony Ericsson died and he has purchased a Nokia 5800 for 11,900 baht. It works quite differently than his old phone and he has spent the last three days (trying) figuring out how everything works. He is quite picky so if he ends up satisfied with the phone, that will likely be my next phone.

I have an E66 which I love. Paid 13,000bt last month. Looked at the 5800 but I'm not into touch screens yet. I also liked the styling of the E66.

I've been a Nokia user for more than 10 years during which time I did have a Samsung slider very similar in appearance to the E66 but didn't like some aspects of the security/locking functions. Thankfully it was stolen which gave me an excuse to go back to Nokia with a 6300.

I am seriously considering changing to the Sony Ericsson Satio if it is as good as it's pre-release marketing blurb says it is. Due out soon and a real contender as an iphone killer. Expected to be a walkman, cybershot camera and phone all in one unit. Knowing Sony it will be expensive, but then for some that's part of the appeal.

So, yesterday I bought the 8500...and it is MJZ2095.gif!!! but yeh er..anyway...i read something somewhere about free music for a year. Im guessing not available here? Anyone know?

NOTHING IS FREE YOUNG eek, not even my friendship....but let me tell you, the only thing that is juicy around here is you :D ...I didnt get any free music :)

My wife just sold her Nokia 58xx, it is way too complex for the non computer literate

Options and menus are poorly laid and quite important options were had to find

The phone was very buggy with frequent crashing and a memory card got corrupted. A couple of times it crashed so badly that the software off button wasn't working and we had to take the battery out to make it turn off.

One bug that we did resolve though is that mp3 files were unplayable and reported corrupt by the Music Player (though they played via file manager). It turns out that the Music Player is very fussy about the mp3 header fields of Artist,title and Album. If these are not properly filled in then the 5800 Music Player finds them to be corrupt. So best to pre-process MP3 files using Media-Monkey or similar rather than just blindly copy mp3 files onto the phone.

The Nokia Music PC suite to do this pre-processing job is also slow, bloated and very buggy. Best to use Media Monkey.

Oh and if anyone knows a way to conveniently mix English and Thais letters whilst entering text let me know, it is very frustrating not to be able to do this at the moment. All I can do at the moment is boot in either Thai or English and use just the characters associated with the language.

I have no idea about whether the Nokia 5800 is a better phone than an iphone but I think it is highly unlikely that you would get an iphone user to switch.

For a start he has all his music, videos, podcasts and contacts synced to the iphone. Then say all his favourite GPS points are saved on his GPS app like Sybic. All his golf scores and GPS layout for his favorite golf courses is saved to his GPS app etc.. Essentially even if you could show that one phone was better than the other, you wouldnt convince an iphone user to change...

• 1 month later...

After about a month with his new Nokia 5800, my friend is impressed. He really likes the phone with one exception. He has AIS post paid and his last bill was very high. Apparently his GPS mapping program is assisted with EDGE and with the GPS on, EDGE stays connected.

The 5800 is like all Nokia phones of the past 5 (7?) years - great phone phone, Nokia's always been great for that. Symbian sucks. Always has. At this point, given that there has been absolutely no progress in the Symbian OS for 5 or more years, I think it's never going to be able to compete with the iPhones and Androids of this world.