Are Thai Upcountry Massage Parlour Owners Farang Friendly?, Why No Signs In English?

Mobi

With no signs in English, for those of us morons who can't read Thai they are sometimes quite difficult to find :D

Is it because they are worried that farangs might lure away their most beautiful (i.e. valuable) assets with a swathe of ATM cards?

Or are they just plain anti farang?

Don't you think it is very rude to effectively bar one of the main benefactors of Issan culture from one of the most popular pastimes in Thailand?

I think there should be a law stating that every Massage parlour and karaoke bar carry signs in English.

After all, the road signs are all in English - well they are until you almost reach your destination, whereupon they suddenly appear in Thai only.

What say you? Shall we all gather together and march on U-Tapao Airport? :o

The best Isaan massage parlors are advertised by word-of-mouth. Think of them like an exclusive restaurant on a country back road which wants to keep a low profile so as not to attract the hoi-polloi. :o

Edited by toptuan

With no signs in English, for those of us morons who can't read Thai they are sometimes quite difficult to find :D

Is it because they are worried that farangs might lure away their most beautiful (i.e. valuable) assets with a swathe of ATM cards?

Or are they just plain anti farang?

Don't you think it is very rude to effectively bar one of the main benefactors of Issan culture from one of the most popular pastimes in Thailand?

I think there should be a law stating that every Massage parlour and karaoke bar carry signs in English.

After all, the road signs are all in English - well they are until you almost reach your destination, whereupon they suddenly appear in Thai only.

What say you? Shall we all gather together and march on U-Tapao Airport? :o

:D

Don’t forget sign tax. Once you add English to your sign the tax can nearly double.

The majority of customers in these places are Thai, why add addition operating costs on the off chance an occasional Farang will drop in.

Wrong! where do you think the beautiful gals get their in house training? Mum and dad still hope there is a chance they will find someone to marry. And having them home ecah day makes sure the neighbours don't start slagging of their daughters and still can get an income.

Later when the cash is coming in, they let them go further afield for more income.

They have them trained well! :o

The best Isaan massage parlors are advertised by word-of-mouth. Think of them like an exclusive restaurant on a country back road which wants to keep a low profile so as not to attract the hoi-polloi. :o

Correct.

Also the majority of the clientel are predominantly thai. Most signs for any kind of establishments in Issan are in thai, perhaps it's because 99% of the population in these areas can't read, write or speak english.

John.....

Why not smile and just go and ask ? and there are many very good looking girls working all over Thailand , many who are not interested in catering to the overweight -smelly farang .

Too true, we won't want them to come visit us upcountry, or the prices might go up!

No, there is no expectation of English signs in Thailand, which is a Thai speaking country. Any English translation here is a courtesy, not an entitlement.

can't really get the tongue in cheek drift, can ya? :o

toptuan is almost right there, however there are a lot of karaoke bars and massage parlours which also offers by chance, discreet motel facilities. Think of those place as an opportunity to park your motor and relax in a round bed with mirrored ceiling and savouring a flat cola served in a glass filled with mono-bloc ice :D maid service's optional ... lol

God forbid what some of you think is good looking! 200 baht girls are anything but lookers!

funny, according to many of my friends who used to enjoy a 3000baht massage here and there, the 200 baht karaoke girls outside of bangkok are 10xbetter, of course they have ugly ducklins but theres always 2-3 top notch material.

I doubt their are any beautiful girls working parlours upcountry. If they any good they would be in the big cities like bangkok or papaya raking in the big baht.

I can assure you that many of the upcountry Massage and kareoke girls out do their sisters in Cowboy/Nana/Patpong/Walking Street in the looks department by a mile.

That's why it's so infuriating that they refuse to put up neon signs in English, directing me there.

Every time I have to resort to asking the way, or getting my multi-lingual Hi So wife to translate the directions for me.

Very unsporting of them :o

No, there is no expectation of English signs in Thailand, which is a Thai speaking country. Any English translation here is a courtesy, not an entitlement.

Really? :D

I never knew that.

As an Englishman, I always expect everyone to converse and write signs for me in my own language wherever I go the world.

It is my right as a member of the British Empire. :o

I wonder what it is about our colonial cousins across the pond that prevents them from having a sense of humour (note, humour - not humor).

Maybe it's those dastardly Baht Buses on Beach road :D

In the interests of world peace, I propose a meeting between the Farang owners of up market restaurants in Bangkok who refuse to put Thai on their menus, and the up country Massage palour owners, who refuse to put signs in English.

Up market meets up country.

A compromise solution could be that the restaurateurs get a franchise sell their gourmet food in the massage parlours, and the massage owners get to provide a massage service in the up market restaurants.

Everybody happy - especially the punters.

Might work? :o

But Mobi you’re missing the signs. The signs are not signs like you expect. Look for the flashing strings of lights. That house off the main road with plenty of pickups parked in front late at night. I think you get the picture.

God forbid what some of you think is good looking! 200 baht girls are anything but lookers!

I could take you to a few places that have 'lookers'. Wouldn't make it past Big Dogs without being bar fined. Sounds like you know little or nothing about up country.

I could take you to a few places that have 'lookers'. Wouldn't make it past Big Dogs without being bar fined. Sounds like you know little or nothing about up country.

Sometimes I cannot make it past Big Dogs without being barfined ! :D :D :o:D :D

can't really get the tongue in cheek drift, can ya?

Au contraire, Sgt. Bilko, my tongue has been in the cheeks so long I can't get the cheeky smell out of it.

I'm sure you stuck into it Dame Edna, the stench of halitosis precedes your posts

Perhaps the OP might volunteer, to make an extensive tour of such establishments, to assist them with their translation-problems or even teach the young ladies English ? In exchange for a drink, and a place to lay his weary head occasionally, natch. :o

Really? :D

I never knew that.

As an Englishman, I always expect everyone to converse and write signs for me in my own language wherever I go the world.

It is my right as a member of the British Empire. :o

I wonder what it is about our colonial cousins across the pond that prevents them from having a sense of humour (note, humour - not humor).

Maybe it's those dastardly Baht Buses on Beach road :D

One tried-and-tested method, to get round this apparent problem, is simply to speak more loudly in English, or alternatively use franglais , I've heard ? Johnny-foreigner gets there in the end, gadzooks ! :D