"aviador" Captain Fred Is Dead

GungaDin

"Aviador" ...... Captain Fred has passed away.

Some of you will remember Fred, the cantankerous ex airline captain who did so much for children & others in the Khao Lak area before and after the Tsunami in 2004.

The mods will remember him, he was banned at least twice. :D

Fred had every reason to be pissed off, he got screwed out of his life savings by a local Thai who he trusted too much.

He even got screwed by the SS in the USA by listing him as "deceased" 2 years before his demise.

I kept in contact with Fred over the last few years as I knew he was a "Jai Dee"

Before the Tsunami, Fred and an old (passenger) client donated a wad of cash to a local orphanage, Fred's name is on a board outside the orphanage.

Fred's trust bordered on stupidity, he even had his truck stolen later by the same guy who stole his life savings.

It's easy to spot the bullshitters on forums, Fred wasn't one.

He had strong opinions which I and others didn't agree with but he never lied

That's why I liked him.

If you have time go thru Fred's posts under Aviador & aviador88. Some of them are a hoot. :o

This was the message I rec'd today from Fred's brother in the US. I had no idea that Fred was ill, he never mentioned his health.

Quote:

"Hi John, Sorry to say that he passed away on the 7th of November.

He died in a place that he liked and at least did not suffer for a long time.

We don't know what happened since he never spoke of health issues

but apparently had some major issues and once placed in a hospital,

he died within two weeks.

Major organ failure."

Fred was 74

Fred Bayuware

R.I.P.

I wish we had met. :D

I am a long time Khao Lak resident, and I knew Fred. Mostly we met in or in front of the local supermarket, and he always had tales of woe to tell, about people taking advantage of his trust. I never knew he had been active on this board.

May he rest in peace,

Kees.

This is very disheartening to hear of. Aviador was legendary on Thaivisa.

He had a very unique manner of expressing himself that didn't elicit vitriolic responses, despite his many tales of woe in Thailand.

I very much enjoyed his many agonizing stories as it never seemed to get him down and his perseverance was unmatched. His sincerity and honesty always showed through.

It is a tragic loss.

RIP, Captain. I salute you as you fly off to further adventures. salute.gif

Edited by sriracha john

Here's a good example of Fred's prose for those who are wondering what we are talking about. :o

Washing Machines

You are going to say "Hey does this guy have nothing else to do?"

Correct; he doesn't. :>)

Another sunny 87° and blue skies every day since before the New Year. I was having lunch on my deck and something just occurred to me.

I had recently purchased my 3rd washer in the 2 ½ years I have lived here. The first one, some Japanese electronic nightmare, which beeped in 20 different Morse codes announcing its progress only 2 months old, beeped its last and was swallowed by the tsunami at the repair shop already waiting for parts.

The second one a 14,000 Baht $ 390.oo) WHIRLPOOL front loader made in Malaysia rusted away just after the 2 year warrantee expired. Shopping for another machine I discovered that there are indeed cheaper and better alternatives; never realizing that all the washers I had owned in my lifetime were "Automatics"; designed with the lazy or dim-witted housewife in mind, who simply wanted to stuff the contraption with dirty garments, push a button walk away and go shopping, (or whatever) expecting to come back to a tub-full of clean clothing.

Initially looking at rows of plastic washers displayed I was a little leery. However since the instructions were in English as well as Thai (for a change) it seemed to make sense, so I dragged this 4,500 Baht ( about $ 125.00 US) Japanese HITACHI plastic wonder home realizing that it is going to be I who will be in control of the procedure. No just walking away from it. It is a washing machine, not an AUTOMATIC. (Very much like a car with stick-shift. I shift when I want to according to the prevailing circumstances.)

Anyway; turn on the water, add detergent and clothes; Mechanical timer controls 3 soak cycles during the agitations which last about 30 minutes. The machine will do its thing for about a ½ hour or so and then stop. No beeps, no nothing. If you are having lunch, or just a cold beer, there are no annoying electronic reminders urging you to come back. Now open the lid and while gazing at the water decide how filthy this laundry must have been; There is a choice. Do it over again or just continue. Well with boys who will literally roll in dirt while at school and playing soccer later this is nothing new but I never did have to resort to another complete cycle. One now drains the entire mess, via a handy manual valve (no solenoids or other electric schnick schnack) and while this is going on moves the sloshing wardrobe over to the right side which contains the Turbo spin centrifuge. This cool thing sounds like a jet engine spooling up. It must be doing at least 30,000 RPM judging from the noise level. Again also a manual 5 minute timer.

While all this is transpiring, refill the tub on the left. Add softener and put spin-dried laundry back in. Keep the water running plus the drain open while it is agitating until there are no more suds. Drain it and deposit the soggy mess once more over to the right into the centrifuge again.

I never had to do the wash cycle twice, and had white socks come out looking like new. Something the automatics never accomplished.

After the last spin, the clothes are almost dry to the touch. Hanging them up with the afternoon temperatures in the high 80's all year around assures complete dryness before nightfall.

Tough life here in the LOS :D

Best to all of you,

Fred