Customs - Bringing In Electronics, Tools, Ect

brianbiegler

Anyone have any insight or experience bringing in tools, electronics and the like. Strictly for personal use..I'm just wondering if anyone has been stopped and questioned. The logic is evading me really, cause I know you can bring your $5000 camera, laptop, hard drives, music devices, games ect, ect.

But if I had a cordless drill, voltmeter, parts to shop tools ect in my suitcase I'm wondering if this is grounds to hassle me at customs?

Thanks,

brian

yes, any uncommon items are suspicious, they might think that you will re-sell them. Take them all from the original boxes, make them looking old and used or even dismantle them into smaller parts and mix with your other luggage staff (clothing, shoes, toiletries etc). Spread them all through the hold luggage and your hand luggage. Packing them into kitchen foil will make them more difficult to spot on the x-ray mashine - in bangkok they check luggage at random, but happens that all arrivals are scanned.

Agreed ^^^ the stuff must not appear new.

I would not attempt to hide or disguise the stuff though, if found out there could be awkward questions, a big black square on the x-ray is going to attract more attention than the outline of a power drill (not that regular ali foil is going to be much of a barrier to a modern machine anyway). Best to be open about it, just mix in with your regular baggage and if stopped say it's all old / used / personal stuff.

A lot depends upon just how much you're taking, I've brought hand and power tools in without problem including my service engineers toolkit (which is obviously tools) BUT I didn't get my bags checked by customs.

Edited by Crossy

I would not attempt to hide or disguise the stuff though, if found out there could be awkward questions, a big black square on the x-ray is going to attract more attention than the outline of a power drill (not that regular ali foil is going to be much of a barrier to a modern machine anyway). Best to be open about it, just mix in with your regular baggage and if stopped say it's all old / used / personal stuff.

A lot depends upon just how much you're taking, I've brought hand and power tools in without problem including my service engineers toolkit (which is obviously tools) BUT I didn't get my bags checked by customs.

I've also brought in a lot of tools, consumer units, sockets, switches etc, plus some electrical test gear, without ever being stopped.

Brought in a heap of used gear a couple of months back. Got told to put my bags through the x-ray, asked me a few questions that I really didn't understand so they gave up and waved me through. If I had some expensive items then I would consider temporarily disabling them in some way beforehand, so if someone tried to extort you for more money than they were worth you could leave it with them knowing they couldn't sell or use them... 

Anyone have any insight or experience bringing in tools, electronics and the like. Strictly for personal use..I'm just wondering if anyone has been stopped and questioned. The logic is evading me really, cause I know you can bring your $5000 camera, laptop, hard drives, music devices, games ect, ect.

But if I had a cordless drill, voltmeter, parts to shop tools ect in my suitcase I'm wondering if this is grounds to hassle me at customs?

Thanks,

brian

Why would you want to bring portable elec tools in, when you can buy all makes here and I think cheaper. :o:D

I've also brought in a lot of tools, consumer units, sockets, switches etc, plus some electrical test gear, without ever being stopped.

I've brought in new tools with the labels still on, but after reading some of these posts, I'll make them look used - next time I do that. As for buying things here: I just bought a cordless drill (18 v. Makita) - the heaviest one in the shop, and it was reasonably - so yea, good tools can sometimes be found in Thailand for decent prices.

I was nervous bringing in all my tools but I was not stopped. It all depends on whether Customs are scanning the incoming bags, most of the times they wave me on and pick on the dodgy looking Middle Eastern types with white skull-caps.

But I agree with the above comments, never bring in stuff boxed and looking new. And if you do get pulled, just stay cool and try not to look bothered. These Customs guys just look at body language (Same in UK).

Plus, I think it is a mistake to try and disguise stuff in boxes or tin foil. In fact that is just totally silly, when you consider Thai logical thinking.

Why would you want to bring portable elec tools in, when you can buy all makes here and I think cheaper. :o:D

Are they cheaper? I paid around 2500 baht for a modest orbital sander in one of the big sheds in Rayong last month. I admit I didn't shop around very much but I didn't have time. I would expect to get one for half that price or less in discount stores in the UK

I think you'll have little problem if they look like personal items and not obviously candidates for resale.

It could help if you are coming in on a work or retirement visa or are married to a Thai traveling with you. At least that broadens the possibilities of explanation. If coming in alone on a 30-day stamp, you've got to have some explanation ready about helping a friend work on something.

There's no reason to attempt to hide the tools in your luggage in some way. It won't work anyway, they'll hand search your luggage if they can't see something clearly on the scanner.