Where To Go After Dark

cnxmike

Where to go after dark now, without being the only customer? That's the question nowadays. As far as I see it, there are only 3 farang orientated places left, where you can be sure to meet other farangs:

1. The Red Lion (near Night Bazaar)

2. John's Place (Moon Muang)

3. No 1 Bar (Loy Kroh)

The whole situation in Chiang Mai is getting more and more depresseing.

Well..if you had been in Tuskers or Number One Bar, or Jammers Bar...on Thursday night you would not have been alone, and would have met a lot of TV members.

Why didn't you come out with us? :o

The thread was up for a long time..so why didn't you come?

It was a great night out. :D

What to do after dark in Chiang Mai:

1. Jump on a red taxi or tuk tuk.

2. Ask driver to take you to Chiang Mai airport.

3. Fly to Bangkok.

Adult entertainments and social gaverings in Chiang Mai are as dead a dodo.

The Wine women and song scene is so tame that I could even take my old grey haired mother along.

Edited by sassienie

The Spotlight: normally has 2 sad faced girls sitting on stalls out front as if they are permanant fixtures, dressed very prim and proper who appear to have given up on the customers. The place could certainly do with a few coats of paint.

Loi Kroh road: Plain looking girls in dirty open bars all screaming at male passers by in a hope they will buy them drinks.

Massage parlours: Every time I visit one, it seems that the girl is off sick and her grandmother is running the shop.

The Chiang Mai tourists magazines are more like Gay monthly`s. Advertising mostly for the Gay community, massages and bars etc. I have nothing against gay people, only the tourist mags that are mainly issued in hotels have very little in them that will be of interest to me.

And that about sums up Chiang Mai nightlife.

10 years ago, Chiang Mai was a fun, inexpensive and exciting place to be, these days most of it has long gone and establishments that remain are only remnants of what they used to be.

Edited by sassienie

Well the "high season" is not all that high and business (certainly in the hospitality sector) is down by a conservative 35%.

That said, there are plenty of bars in Chiangmai that do not fit in with the OP's statement relating to "without being the only customer" which is pure nonsense.

The high season is "down, down, down, and unfortunately it's gonna get worse. :o

Edited by john b good

10 years ago, Chiang Mai was a fun, inexpensive and exciting place to be, these days most of it has long gone and establishments that remain are only remnants of what they used to be.

I would suggest that your area of operations is probably rather limited. There are hundreds more bars / pubs / restaurants in Chiang Mai than 10 years ago. The choice nowadays is almost unlimited, & I would guess that your limiting yourself to the farang only establishments & areas, & / or the novelty has worn off because you think you know too it all & have seen it all already. Broaden your horizons & check out some of the good Thai nightlife areas: Khamtieng / Nimmanhaemin / Chiang Mai Land - Chang Klan, & even Sanitham.

Edited by davidgtr

GTR has been here forever and always knows what is happening with the nightlife.

I will admit that Loi Kroh road has a lot more girls than men inside, but I don't really see that as a problem. Some of them are quite pretty and they are a lot easier to get to know than during most high seasons.

OK, Chiang Mai is not Bangkok, but it ain't bad. :o

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Warm Up Bar. The rest are all great establishments, particularly farang looking for a comfortable, familiar setting. What I like about Warm-Up, however, is that they have live music in the back, but if you just want to relax to the music of some conversation, you don't have to be in that area. Unless, of course, they have two bands playing, in which case you get some variety at the very least. As for being the only person there, it'll never happen. There's more danger in the place being too crowded, which is why I generally go on Monday nights :o Never had a problem meeting friendly people, either, whether farang or local (mostly CMU students).

I'm surprised no-one mentioned Warm Up Bar. The rest are all great establishments, particularly farang looking for a comfortable, familiar setting. What I like about Warm-Up, however, is that they have live music in the back, but if you just want to relax to the music of some conversation, you don't have to be in that area. Unless, of course, they have two bands playing, in which case you get some variety at the very least. As for being the only person there, it'll never happen. There's more danger in the place being too crowded, which is why I generally go on Monday nights :o Never had a problem meeting friendly people, either, whether farang or local (mostly CMU students).

Warm up was also one of my regular haunts when I lived in Chiang Mai. Along with Monkey Club, Blah Blah Bar and Berlin Bar. (all Nimmanhaemin area).

Moos bar, 4th alley, next to the public loos, above the stinky drains. Open all hours (if the bigshots with badges are in).

Beer 50b, food 30b. Sometimes i go crazy and rack up a whopping 300b bill! Crazy times!

Sounds like my kinda place...............where exacty did you say it was? :D:o

Moos bar, 4th alley, next to the public loos, above the stinky drains. Open all hours (if the bigshots with badges are in).

Beer 50b, food 30b. Sometimes i go crazy and rack up a whopping 300b bill! Crazy times!

wow 6 beers.. you must feel a bit tipsy by then.. what a night out..!

I forgot to mention Moon Muang Soi 2 (just behind "Mad Dog"). There also are a couple of bars, which can be quite busy sometimes. The most popular seem to be "The Jai Yen Bar" und "The Halfmoon Pub". Most customers are Brits.

I have a bit of a problem. Maybe it's because I'm a bit slow, but it was you who you started the thread about "where to go after dark now, without being the only customer? That's the question nowadays. As far as I see it, there are only 3 farang orientated places left, where you can be sure to meet other farangs" (and went on to nominate three bars "where an expat might not be the only one there")

Now you have added another two bars.

It would seem that in the past three days you have got yourself out and about and according to your last post might now have to admit that your OP was a long way from having any veracity. :o

Edited by john b good

I forgot to mention Moon Muang Soi 2 (just behind "Mad Dog"). There also are a couple of bars, which can be quite busy sometimes. The most popular seem to be "The Jai Yen Bar" und "The Halfmoon Pub". Most customers are Brits.

I have a bit of a problem. Maybe it's because I'm a bit slow, but it was you who you started the thread about "where to go after dark now, without being the only customer? That's the question nowadays. As far as I see it, there are only 3 farang orientated places left, where you can be sure to meet other farangs" (and went on to nominate three bars "where an expat might not be the only one there")

Now you have added another two bars.

It would seem that in the past three days you have got yourself out and about and according to your last post might now have to admit that your OP was a long way from having any veracity. :o

Do you know what " I forgot to mention " means ?

Personally after dark ( sunrise ) I'm usually in bed or preparing breakfast! Chok well ?!?

The Spotlight: normally has 2 sad faced girls sitting on stalls out front as if they are permanant fixtures, dressed very prim and proper who appear to have given up on the customers. The place could certainly do with a few coats of paint.

Loi Kroh road: Plain looking girls in dirty open bars all screaming at male passers by in a hope they will buy them drinks.

Massage parlours: Every time I visit one, it seems that the girl is off sick and her grandmother is running the shop.

The Chiang Mai tourists magazines are more like Gay monthly`s. Advertising mostly for the Gay community, massages and bars etc. I have nothing against gay people, only the tourist mags that are mainly issued in hotels have very little in them that will be of interest to me.

And that about sums up Chiang Mai nightlife.

Could not agree more ... that is what you get when you keep on shooting yourself in the foot ! ... However I just wonder what really went wrong ... or are we simply older and having lost the 'basics'