Retirement Visa

We've read and read the visa postings, but still need some clarification on our specific position. My husband and I are from the US, he is 53 and qualifies financially for a retirement visa. We arrived in TH on Nov. 16, and our 30 days are up the 16th of this month. We're hoping to hightail it to Vientiane to begin the process for a type O-A non-imm visa but are unsure of the documents required. The Vientiane Thai consul website says they need a notarized copy of our non-criminal record? How do we obtain this, and is it truly necessary? For proof of income, would bank statements and a retirement statement from his retirement system work? He's retired from 27 years as a government employee. Also, a brochure we picked up at CM immigration has the medical record requirement crossed out. Is this no longer a requirement? Do we bring EVERYTHING with us, and then what do we do when we return to Chiang Mai? We're hopelessly confused and beginning to feel really panicky, could someone walk us through this? We would be hugely grateful for help.

Thanks so much!

Go a Thai Consulate and obtain A Non Imm O Visa. If you cannot get this a Tourist Visa Will do.

With about 30 days left on your stay go to Immigration and apply for a 12 month Extension of Stay. (Not O-A. This can only be obtained in your own country)

He will need. His passport, a letter from the US Embassy verifying his income. The US Embassy do not require any proof. You just swear under oath. Immigration might want to see some proof though.Probably a Thai bank book with some cash in it. Application Form Passport size photo. 1,900 Baht fee. No medical or Police Report is needed.

You can apply for the same extension as his dependant. No financial requirements.

If you have to start with a Tourist Visa , Immigration will change this to a Non Imm O Visa for a 2,000 Baht fee.

In fact you could have done it with your 30 day stamp if you had at least 21 days left on it. Too late now.

Any questions come back and ask. That is what this forum is for. :o

This is the Police Order with all the Extension Rules. Your Husband will need 2.22. You will need 2.20

We was in the same Situacion three years ago ! We jumped on a plane from CM to Vientiane !

After three fruitless days at the embassy in Vientiane, we returned to CM, Grabbed a new plane to Penang,

where we had no problems at all ! If they run the embassy in Vientiane the same way as they did three years ago,

we strongly recommend Penang. Just get hold of a non-imm visa there. The rest you can sort out at CM immigration

when you get back.

• 4 weeks later...

Oops. I should have mentioned in my original post. He's 53 and well-qualified; I'm 38. We went to immigration today, and found that his non-imm O was "OK, No problem" but no luck for me. They say we need to go to Bangkok to request my visa be changed. I'd assumed, as his wife, that I'd just piggy-back on his visa. Now I'm shooting a brick. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to increase my chances? Any experiences to share? Much appreciated!

Oops. I should have mentioned in my original post. He's 53 and well-qualified; I'm 38. We went to immigration today, and found that his non-imm O was "OK, No problem" but no luck for me. They say we need to go to Bangkok to request my visa be changed. I'd assumed, as his wife, that I'd just piggy-back on his visa. Now I'm shooting a brick. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to increase my chances? Any experiences to share? Much appreciated!
What kind of visa do you have? Are they telling you to go immigration in Bangkok? That would not work because Bangkok is sending people back to their local offices.

It sounds like they are giving you the run around for some reason.

See 2.20 of the police order for your extension. 2.22 is your husbands.

Link to police order: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a70477-New-Immigration-Rules-November-2008.html

If you don't have a non immigrant visa they can change it to one at immigration. There are procedures and forms for doing a change of visa status.

Yes it is pretty much routine and straight foreward(or should be)

Maybe Chiang Mai do not change Visas and you will have to go to Bangkok.

There have been reports of them changing visas for retirement extensions. So why not this one.

And there is a good chance she will be sent back to CM by Bangkok.

There have been reports of them changing visas for retirement extensions. So why not this one.

In that case I do not understand. Go back and ask to speak to a higher authority.

We've read and read the visa postings, but still need some clarification on our specific position. My husband and I are from the US, he is 53 and qualifies financially for a retirement visa. We arrived in TH on Nov. 16, and our 30 days are up the 16th of this month. We're hoping to hightail it to Vientiane to begin the process for a type O-A non-imm visa but are unsure of the documents required. The Vientiane Thai consul website says they need a notarized copy of our non-criminal record? How do we obtain this, and is it truly necessary? For proof of income, would bank statements and a retirement statement from his retirement system work? He's retired from 27 years as a government employee. Also, a brochure we picked up at CM immigration has the medical record requirement crossed out. Is this no longer a requirement? Do we bring EVERYTHING with us, and then what do we do when we return to Chiang Mai? We're hopelessly confused and beginning to feel really panicky, could someone walk us through this? We would be hugely grateful for help.

Thanks so much!

Many people are mislead into thinking they can obtain a NoN-Immigrant "O-A" visa locally in SE Asia. This Long Stay, or so-called retirement, visa is only available from your home country. A Non-Immigrant "O" visa, which is available locally, is the next best thing and can be extended for 1 year for retirement purposes by immigration. A Tourist visa will also get the job done, after first being converted into a NoN-Immigrant visa by immigration, and finally into an 1 year Extension of Stay for retirement. The wife can then piggyback onto her husbands retirement Extension of Stay if she does not qualify for her own retirement extension.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Is there any real difference in the O "A" , and "extension based on retirement" visas?.When I first moved to Thailand I had an O "A" which I obtained at the RTE in London,with all the documents needed.This lasted for two years,as I made sure I left and re-entered Thailand just before the end of the first year,and was stamped in for another year.After that I just obtained the "extension based on retirement" stamps.What I really mean is, that in practice,is there any difference in these visas,i.e is one or the other better in any respect,because it seems to me that it's a lot easier to convert a tourist visa into a non imm "O" and then extend it on the basis of retirement,and not have to go to all the trouble and expense that I had to to get the original visa in London.

Sounds like Chiang Mai immigration is telling you to get a Non-Immigrant "O" visa in your passport before they will do anything.

Is there any real difference in the O "A" , and "extension based on retirement" visas?.When I first moved to Thailand I had an O "A" which I obtained at the RTE in London,with all the documents needed.This lasted for two years,as I made sure I left and re-entered Thailand just before the end of the first year,and was stamped in for another year.After that I just obtained the "extension based on retirement" stamps.What I really mean is, that in practice,is there any difference in these visas,i.e is one or the other better in any respect,because it seems to me that it's a lot easier to convert a tourist visa into a non imm "O" and then extend it on the basis of retirement,and not have to go to all the trouble and expense that I had to to get the original visa in London.

Once inside Thailand they are essentially the same. There is a slight difference if you had a multiple "O-A", hence no need for a re-entry permit the first year. After you learn how to work the immigration system, there is definitely no advantage in obtaining a Non-Immigrant "O-A" visa, all the hassle isn't worth it.

No. A non-OA visa is obtained from a Thai consulate, and all consulates are outside Thailand. In Thailand you get an extension of stay for the reason of retirement, from an immigration office, not a non-OA visa. It is very important to note this difference.

--

Maestro

The wife is 38 years old, therefore not eligible for a retirement extension. Chiang Mai immigration seems to be saying that the wife needs a Non-Immigrant visa in her passport before they will issue a dependent extension.

OK - We made the trip to Bangkok, got shuttled around on 3 different floors but ultimately, no dice. They said I'm not eligible even for a non-imm o, because I'm not 50. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? They also said I could apply for it outside the country, but at this point having wasted a trip to BKK I'm definitely not inclined to make another trip. Anyone have any concrete advice or any super good friends in immigration? Thanks...

OK - We made the trip to Bangkok, got shuttled around on 3 different floors but ultimately, no dice. They said I'm not eligible even for a non-imm o, because I'm not 50. Does anyone know for sure if this is the case? They also said I could apply for it outside the country, but at this point having wasted a trip to BKK I'm definitely not inclined to make another trip. Anyone have any concrete advice or any super good friends in immigration? Thanks...

It does look as thougth you will have to make a trip to a Thai Consulate and apply for a Non Imm O Visa.

Your case seems to be the only one that is not covered by the change of Visa rules see here http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...p?page=service#

With a Non Imm O Visa you can apply for the 12 month Extension as your Husbands dependant.

From the Police Order.

2.20 In the case of a family

member of an alien who has been permitted temporary

stay under clauses 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.5, 2.6,2.7, 2.10, 2.12, 2.13,2.4, 2.15, 2.16, 2.17,

2.21, 2.22,2.26,6.29 of this Order (applicable only to parents, spouse, child, adopted child or child of

his/her spouse):

Permission will be

granted for a period of

not more than 1 year at a time.

(1) The alien has obtained a temporary visa (NON-IM);

(2) Proof of family relationship;

(3) In the case of a spouse, the marital relationship shall be de

jure (legitimate) and de facto;

From all your posts, immigration is clearly not cooperating, for whatever reason, as they will not change your visa. Your only recourse seems to be a trip to a local, expat friendly Thai consulate to obtain a Non-Immigrant "O" visa. State as the reason for wanting the visa "To visit family in Thailand", your husband being retired and living in Thailand (at that point in time) with a retirement extension.