Nice Restaurants

trav3501

Thai boyfriend and i will be traveling around northwest thailand and I was wondering if anyone had a great restaurant that they could recommend. Any kind of food. Looking for nice dine in restaurant not street food. Also we go to Jomtien and Pattaya. Thanks.

For Chiang Mai have a look at the Chiang Mai Forum on TV; every other thread seems to be food orientated (though you may get the mistaken impression that CM has more burger bars than noodle carts, and the price of water is more important than the food :o )

Depends on how upmarket you want, a lot of ex-pats I know like the big five star hotel restaurants, D2, Shangri la, Chedi, Amari etc. Personally, spending half my life in such hotels on business trips, I avoid like the plauge when at home :D Also, you are paying for where you are rather than the food.

Some of the places I go to when I want somewhere a above average, without exagerating too much:

• Comedara - thai food on the river, has an art gallery as well and a more relaxed/select atmosphere than some of the other riverside restaurants (website is comedara dot com).
  • Cafe De'nimman (spelling?) Nimmana Haeminda Road -opposite Warm Up -excellent Thai food and not overpriced. You can go for after dinner drinks and fun in Warm Up too (Bar disco type place - popular with gays) and grab a pre-dinner cocktail in the Glass Onion round the corner.
  • Nimman (again not sure of the spelling, and not be confused with the above) located at the Kantary Hills hotel and also a short walk from Warm up. Western food menu.
  • Pasta Cafe, Nimmana Haeminda Road, Soi 1 food fits with the name.
  • The House and Ginger Kafe - Moon Muang (on the moat). Varied food, Thai and Western. Usually excellent, but a bit pricey by CM standards.

There are many, many other places here, but I doubt you'd be disappointed by any of the above.

One final comment, if you want somewhere nice to take the boyfriend for a drink, Soho bar on Huay Kaew Road has recently been sold to a very genial American gentleman who in a couple of weeks has totally turned the place around. It's gone back to being what it was in its hey day and is attracting a great crowd now. Mix of ex-pats, a few tourists and non MB type Thais. Real refreshing change for the Chiang Mai scene, especially as the remaining Night Bazzar venues very dismal and seedy now. I believe Soho also has food provided by the nearby Lemon Tree restaurant which Endure mentioned already.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
If you want a restaurant where lots of Thai folks eat in Chiang Mai go to Lemontree opposite Kad Suan Kaew. Not very posh but the food is tasty.

lanna food try

Kaeng - Ron * Baan Suan Restaurant

149/3 Moo 2 Soi Chomdoi

Klomg Cholpeatran

Chiang Puek A Muang

CNX

delicious lanna menu in garden setting, beware of the C M mafia who go there a lot

along the canal road past the sports center, left at the bridge before the turn to the municipal offices