True Free Wifi

2008bangkok

Hi i have the free open true wifi which i use at home..the only problem is it kicks you off after 1 hour and you have to reset disable and enable you wirelsee adapter everytime to get back on..

does anybody else use this and no of a way to stop this..no1 i dont think it does it any good keep enable and disable and no2 is a right pain in the butt as me skype keeps goin off..

P>S before anyone says get paid one..their is no way of me doing it i dont have a phone line and cant put one in either

Edited by 2008bangkok

If you're in my building, I'm gonna send the boys round. My 2mb (encrypted, but how well?) (which I pay 1000 baht per month for) has been raped recently... :o

If it is a free service which is enabled by your building (I don't believe that TRUE give anything away...) then best ask the network admin person (or the little lady sitting by a black box).

Edited by jasreeve17

P>S before anyone says get paid one..their is no way of me doing it i dont have a phone line and cant put one in either

You can indeed step up and pay for the wifi service and avoid the hassles of the slow / interrupted "Green Wifi" free service. I have a TRUE Move cellphone account, and pay and extra 200 per month for unlimited wifi from hotspots all over the Bangkok and Thailand.

The green wifi is a free service, for a year or so anyway, actually I was paying 500b a month for the pay service and that gave me 90 minutes at a time, and it went down for one or two days a month as well, I mean strong connection and could sign in but nothing coming down the line, so now I go for the free service and tap into someones unencrypted connection when thats too slow, which is most of the time

Edited by rafval

You can indeed step up and pay for the wifi service and avoid the hassles of the slow / interrupted "Green Wifi" free service. I have a TRUE Move cellphone account, and pay and extra 200 per month for unlimited wifi from hotspots all over the Bangkok and Thailand.

I have a true cell phone aswell...what is the difference between the green free and paying 200 baht?/ it uses the same wifi signal yeah so is it allocated just a little for free service?

I am also using free wifi at my room (whose i don't know) but I would like to know so that I can pay for it. SSID is: "linksys"

By using a "free" service from an WiFi with SSID "Linksys" means nothing else than you use the Service from someone else but not from TRUE. You're on an so named unsecure wifi network connection which is a private one with an inproper setup.

If the owner of that connection ist your Landlord and he allow to use it free it's ok but if that connection is owned by someone private, you "steal" them bandwith.

Cheers.

True doesnt offer 'free' Wifi. It is supplied by somebody other than True, be it the Grren Wfif group or whoever.

Also, Reimar, for the first time i think you may be wrong (i may be putting my foot in my mouth here!). You can still have an SSID of Linksys, doesnt matter who the ISP is which plugs into that router. My SSID at home is Umper_Lumper, but its still from True!

True doesnt offer 'free' Wifi. It is supplied by somebody other than True, be it the Grren Wfif group or whoever.

Also, Reimar, for the first time i think you may be wrong (i may be putting my foot in my mouth here!). You can still have an SSID of Linksys, doesnt matter who the ISP is which plugs into that router. My SSID at home is Umper_Lumper, but its still from True!

Maybe I've to be more precise:

If the WiFi is an Company WiFi of TRUE, the SSID is AFAIK TRUE HomeWiFi or TRUE GreenWiFi pp. and I haven't seen any other until now but never Linksys or so! The Brand names used as SSID are the default settings of WiFi Modem and programmed by the Manufacturer.

But if you use your own WiFi Modem/Router/AP you can name your SSID as you want, or as long as your able to enter the Firmware of the AP (WiFi Modem/Router) you can name the SSID as you like. True will NOT let you enter their system devices.

Cheers.

open your eyes dude. green is just a brand name created by True.. my internet is free via this true green thing, the login page is trueinternet, the SSID is Truewifi, my username is @truewifi.. everything points to it being supplied by true

open your eyes dude. green is just a brand name created by True.. my internet is free via this true green thing, the login page is trueinternet, the SSID is Truewifi, my username is @truewifi.. everything points to it being supplied by true

All Company SSID's from TRUE having as part of that SSID: TRUE!

Maybe you contact TRUE at 02 900 9000 or 9191 and get the required infos about time of connection pp. I'm quite sure that they not giving an unlimited connection for a free service!

Cheers.

You can indeed step up and pay for the wifi service

I have a true cell phone aswell...what is the difference between the green free and paying 200 baht?/ it uses the same wifi signal yeah so is it allocated just a little for free service?

I haven't ever tried the Green service- so I can't say definitively, but I have heard from people / read on the forum about crap speed from the service. The paid service offers decent speed (if you are near a True coffee shop or payment office like they have in many Bangkok malls, it is blazing fast) and doesn't shut down after an hour.

Of course, it all uses the same signal, but they can modify your "status" according to the login credentials. Paying customers get preferred service.

If the WiFi is an Company WiFi of TRUE, the SSID is AFAIK TRUE HomeWiFi or TRUE GreenWiFi pp. and I haven't seen any other until now but never Linksys or so! The Brand names used as SSID are the default settings of WiFi Modem and programmed by the Manufacturer.

I see Linksys and other brand names like NETGEAR54, all the time. These are in my network list right now. The customer has hooked up the wireless access point to their home internet service. Considering that our building is wired by True, most if not all of these will be using true.

The fact that they haven't changed the SSID or activated any kind of WPA or WEP security (as in the case of the poster above) makes no difference about which service the access point is connected to.

When you consider the new internet laws in Thailand, operating an unsecured WAP is technically illegal.

Here is a point for debate... if someone is operating an unsecured WAP, and you connect to the signal, is it really "stealing" ?

You can indeed step up and pay for the wifi service

I haven't ever tried the Green service- so I can't say definitively, but I have heard from people / read on the forum about crap speed from the service. The paid service offers decent speed (if you are near a True coffee shop or payment office like they have in many Bangkok malls, it is blazing fast) and doesn't shut down after an hour.

Of course, it all uses the same signal, but they can modify your "status" according to the login credentials. Paying customers get preferred service.

200baht it is then ..if i can ever get through to them..their customer service is not good

200baht it is then ..if i can ever get through to them..their customer service is not good

You can do it automatically through your True cellphone. There is a 4 digit number to call that will connect you to a "voice menu" system (and yes, there is a "press 2 for English"!) that lets you choose to activate the Wifi and / or GPRS on your account. I can't remember the phone number (Ms. Bino got it for me)... but if you browse their website you can probably find it. Once you have done that, they will SMS your login details.

Edited by bino

I'm using the free "green" wifi from TRUE all over town. It works well, but is slow, only 64kb/s. enough to check emails or a little short browsing. Even ThaiVisa works. The 1 hour limit is not really a limit, as surfing one hour with this slow speed is normally too long anyway :o