Brewing Beer In Thaland

hasher69

mY WIFE TOLD ME TODAY THAT MANY PEOPLE IN THE NORTH MAKE WHISKY ESPECIALLY FOR NEW YEAR, AND THAT THIS IS ILLEGAL.

MANY COUNTRIES HAVE THEIR OWN ILLEGAL WHISKY OR MOONSINE AND NORMALLY IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE IT, BECAUSE IT CAN BE

QUITE DANGEROUS, IF THE PROCEDURE IS NOT CARRIED OUT PROPERLY, THE LIKELY HOOD IS THAT METHANOL WILL BE PRODUCED INSTEAD OF ETHANOL.

HOWEVER THE QUESTION THEN AROSE "IS IT ALSO ILLEGAL IN THAILAND TO BREW BEER?" OR EVEN TO MAKE WINE?

aNYONE KNOW THE ANSWER OR WHERE I CAN FIND OUT PLEASE?

mY WIFE TOLD ME TODAY THAT MANY PEOPLE IN THE NORTH MAKE WHISKY ESPECIALLY FOR NEW YEAR, AND THAT THIS IS ILLEGAL.

MANY COUNTRIES HAVE THEIR OWN ILLEGAL WHISKY OR MOONSINE AND NORMALLY IT IS ILLEGAL TO MAKE IT, BECAUSE IT CAN BE

QUITE DANGEROUS, IF THE PROCEDURE IS NOT CARRIED OUT PROPERLY, THE LIKELY HOOD IS THAT METHANOL WILL BE PRODUCED INSTEAD OF ETHANOL.

HOWEVER THE QUESTION THEN AROSE "IS IT ALSO ILLEGAL IN THAILAND TO BREW BEER?" OR EVEN TO MAKE WINE?

aNYONE KNOW THE ANSWER OR WHERE I CAN FIND OUT PLEASE?

Stilling and drinking any kind of illegal liquour is more than quite dangereous it can blind you or even kill you, so quite rightly its banned.

Beer and Wine dont fall into the same class as hard liquor, its fermented only, and not fermented and distilled, so dont think you would have any problems making "home brew" either beer or wine from a legal perspective

No - it's legal: you can buy beer brewing and wine making kits in Bangkok.

What is illegal is distilling. A distinction is made between the 2 activities, but where/how exactly the line is drawn is for someone else to describe - I don't know. And note: the above is in respect of personal consumption.

It is illegal to home-brew alcohol, whether fermented or distilled liquor, for either personal consumption or sale.

Section 5 of the Liquors Act (1950) states that it is illegal for anyone to brew their own alcohol, or even to have the equipment to do so.

The maximum penalty for contravention of this section of the Act is six months in jail, or a fine of 5,000 baht, or both.

If the offender sells the liquor, the maximum penalty rises to a year in jail or a 10,000 baht fine, or both.

Those are the maximum penalties and can be imposed for making and/or selling distilled alcohol (spirits).

The maximum penalties for brewing or fermenting alcohol – wine or beer, for example – are lower: 200 baht for making it and 5,000 baht for selling it.

People who want to produce home-brew liquors legally must apply to the Phuket Excise Office for a licence.”

Friday, March 4, 2005 Payoon Poolsuwan, of Phuket Excise Office.

My wife and I live in Loei province. There is no home brew here that I know of. A good friend of mine lives in Chiang Rai province and the only hard liquor there comes from the home stills. The locals collect the beer bottles from my friend and fill them with the local moonshine. A beer bottle of moonshine costs about 30 baht.

No - it's legal: you can buy beer brewing and wine making kits in Bangkok.

What is illegal is distilling. A distinction is made between the 2 activities, but where/how exactly the line is drawn is for someone else to describe - I don't know. And note: the above is in respect of personal consumption.

Maize Farmer

Kits available in Bangkok? Where? And, no, I'm not on the anti-brew side of things, just would like to get some kits easier than getting Coopers from the U.S., expensive that way, as I don't know many folks coming from Oz.

Mac

I am actually out of Thailand at the moment on holdiay with the family - so I can't tell you the name of the shop now - but I purchased a beer brewing in a shop in China Town in 2005, but I'll happily forward you the details when I get back.

.. and no this was not some under the table sale - it was quite blatent and obviously displayed - along with other kits.

Now - I have to eat my words I WAS WRONG: just looked on the Thai Gov website:

IT MOST BLOODY DEFINEATLY IS ILLEGAL TO BREW OR DISTALL AT HOME FOR PERSONAL CONSUMPTION

.... so despite been able to by a kit for just this purpose, and having been told "no probs - quite legal" - the book says, nope - not allowed. I should add, the above upper case wording is actually mine - but thats what it amounts to in the book - its illegal.

..... but so is prostitution, and speeding .... so what will happen if caught? Ginger beer: one of my neighbours brews a very nice (and slightly alcoholic) ginger beer, which he sells in corked bottles at a local market - and is very open about the 2% odd alcohol volume. He's been at it for years and never had a any problems with the law.

Edited by Maizefarmer

• 1 month later...

Maizefarmer, can you provide a link to the gov website that you referred to?

OP mentions an excise tax license. I have talked about getting this license and it doesn't seem too hard.

I have also been informed law has been changed to allow production for own use and the government town offices have even taught farmers how to ferment/distill properly so people don't go blind. I will not swear to the accuracy of this last statement but will check it out.

BTW, Coopers is available in Singapore and the owner of that countries largest internet based homebrew supply store sells to quite a few expats here as I was recently informed.

Malt extract is often purchased for other uses as well and was for a while available in GNC but too costly for a homebrew base.

since it is an illegal activity this topic is now closed.

to be sure whether the law covers beer and wine, as well as spirits and hard liquor, your safest bet would be to speak to authorities in your area. the central authority is called "Krom Sap-pha-sa-mit". not sure what its called in English, and whether it has offices in all localities.