Retirement Visa Application

I'm interested in information and opinions here about my next visa application. I've been in Thailad for 5 years. For most of that time I've had a non-Immigrant "O" for retirement. Last year, because a business opportunity came up, I went through the process of getting a 1-year business visa. That expires March 30 next year.

The business didn't pan out, and unless something comes up I'll be applying for a new retirement visa in mid-March. I had a work permit for a few months, but I've turned it in already. To be clear, I'm not applying for an extension to an existing visa. I'm getting a new one after a year on different visa type.

My immediate questions:

* Do I need to deposit my 800,000 baht 90-days before application? I heard this became a policy, but I know who often new policies come and then are rescinded a few months later.

* Are there any complexities attending to my having moved from one visa type to another and back again?

Appreciate any thoughts anyone might have. I understand that firm answers aren't always available, but I'm thankful for any guidance or parallel experiences.

- Gary Hall

Hua Hin

Edited by garyinhuahin

Your existing extension is already invalid if you have already notified the labour department that you are no longer working. You have to leave the country or apply for an extension on the day you stop working.

You could change the basis for your extension to retiremnet from woking as long as you qualify.

Under the new rules you need to have the money in the bank for 2 months for the first extension and 3 months for a renewal of an extension. So you will need it there 2 months.

Concur with Joe that you cuurently staying in the country illegaly and are on overstay. Fine is 500 a day with a maximum of 20,000 Baht. You can expect to have to pay that fine. The day you stoped working was the day your permission to stay ended and you should have changed to an extension based on retirement then.

They will probably fine you and give you an extension at the same time.