Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I was told by Kawasaki that the "running in" time is the first 1000km, after which the bike has its first service and then all is well, run in complete.

However, over on some Australian forums guys are saying the running in period is 1600km.

I would be more inclined to believe the Aussies than the Thais.............any ideas ?

Cheers

Hi,

I was told by Kawasaki that the "running in" time is the first 1000km, after which the bike has its first service and then all is well, run in complete.

However, over on some Australian forums guys are saying the running in period is 1600km.

I would be more inclined to believe the Aussies than the Thais.............any ideas ?

Cheers

There are many many theories on running in a machine.

One theory, is to flog it right from the first moment you start it.....give it the berries and never back off. Some of the bikes that I have done this to have run extreemly hard......BUT I wouldnt have wanted to been keeping them for any great length of time, Ohh and I wasnt paying for them either, so easy come, easy go.

I have read that the most important thing whilst breaking a motorcycle in is not to ride down the highway at a constant speed for any great distance.....IT's not something you would have to worry about in Thailand, I doubt you could go more than a KM or so without adjusting your speed or engine revs. Many people that break in new bikes are so worried about revving the engine so much that they actually labour the engine.....that is even worse for it.

People here will scream out when I say this, but I always change my engine oil and filter before they recommend it. If the first service is at 1600, I would change my oil and filter at 800 then again at 1600. In my opinion there is absolutely no point in changing the oil without changing the filter. When changing the oil on those initial changes, I always tip the bike over towards the sump plug hole and also flush a couple of hundred ml of oil straight thru it before replacing the sump plug.

I think the techniques they use these days when making engine parts make it far less likely that you will find any types of fragments inside the engine case after initally running it.

Your bike looks hot INTJ, what do you intend on doing to it, mods wise?

Hi,

Cheers

There are many many theories on running in a machine.

One theory, is to flog it right from the first moment you start it.....give it the berries and never back off. Some of the bikes that I have done this to have run extreemly hard......BUT I wouldnt have wanted to been keeping them for any great length of time, Ohh and I wasnt paying for them either, so easy come, easy go.

I have read that the most important thing whilst breaking a motorcycle in is not to ride down the highway at a constant speed for any great distance.....IT's not something you would have to worry about in Thailand, I doubt you could go more than a KM or so without adjusting your speed or engine revs. Many people that break in new bikes are so worried about revving the engine so much that they actually labour the engine.....that is even worse for it.

People here will scream out when I say this, but I always change my engine oil and filter before they recommend it. If the first service is at 1600, I would change my oil and filter at 800 then again at 1600. In my opinion there is absolutely no point in changing the oil without changing the filter. When changing the oil on those initial changes, I always tip the bike over towards the sump plug hole and also flush a couple of hundred ml of oil straight thru it before replacing the sump plug.

I think the techniques they use these days when making engine parts make it far less likely that you will find any types of fragments inside the engine case after initally running it.

Your bike looks hot INTJ, what do you intend on doing to it, mods wise?

Yep .. Run the bike in on 'cheap' mineral oil, not fully synthetic. Let the bike warm up well before riding. Once riding vary your throttle openings and use all the rev range allowed (usually 70% of max revs for first 600- 1000km) Change the oil and filter after 600-1000k and swap to a semi synthetic or fully syn oil. Always change the filter when you do an oil change.. The Thais will ride their bike forever without changing the oil. It is relatively cheap here so I change my oil more often than the manufacturers suggest.. My reasoning being that most of my riding is short stop/start journeys in traffic and the high humidity here often leads to contaminated oil.. The main think is not to ride the bike on a fixed throttle opening for long periods of time during the runnng in process as this can often leas to glazing on the cylinder bores and the piston rings not bedding in well.. The more compession your motor can generate the healthier it is... Modern bike engines are manufatured to much higher tolerences these days but you may still be able to see minute debris in the oil at the first change.. This is just burrs coming off some surfaces and particle contamination from the motors oil ways and case... Once it is run-in you can start to use the full rev range... Most important is really to let your bike warm to operating temp before giving it 'the berries' I usually start mine then get my gear on this gives the motor some time to warm while I struggle with my boots, gloves and lid..

Hi,

Cheers

Lot of different ways to break in the engine, I always use the Moto GP technique to break in the engine, and the engines really have way less wear and much better compression when you do so. However if you don't want to do it this way, just do not keep the engine in constant rev over long time and use the engine to break as often as you can. Also change the oil and filter very soon, I change after 30 - 50 km first time and wow there is so much metal filings in the filter you will be amazed, reason why I do that is these filings becomes sludge after a while (dissolved to the oil) and the sludge stick itself all over your engine. Not a big problem, but your engine will be much better off without it.

Regarding km an engine is 90% broken in the first 35 km's so that is the most critical time for it, after that it goes to 100% broken in at 20,000, km and after that the engine will start degrading. You should take special consideration the first 1600 - 2000 km by NOT sitting on one rev over a long period, but change the revs plus letting the engine break for you as often as you can.

Best place to break in an engine is on a dyno, second best place is on a race track (35 km break in) lastly on the road, if you follow Moto GP technique that is.

Cheers Bard

I am so jealous.

Did anyone book one on finance yet? Or do I have to dig deep and get the full amount over here? (I am a poor working teacher so 225000 is a lot of money here for me).

It looks nice, that orange colour. The ZX12R I had a few years ago were blue, now I think that the ER6 I am going to buy will be black.

I can almost not wait, I just hope that I will not be sad or dissappointed. I really want this ER6.

post-36728-1232943341_thumb.jpg

Can someone find out how much for the fairing parts if brought from Kawasaki Rama9. they are made here after all. maybe a job for you Tony (bigbikebkk) :o

I'm on it Allan! I'll let you know if Kawasaki Thailand can/will accept orders for parts from the ER-6f and prices. Happy Trails! Tony

When I picked up my brand spanking new ZX10R coupla years ago. I just rode the dam_n thing like I stole it! Been great ever since. Engine remains super strong to this day, :o

We'd expect nothing less from a man riding that sort of weapon!

Just got the mrs to snap another pic :o

Very nice, and all colour coordinated as well. :D

Did you buy the bike to match the togs or the togs to match the bike? :P :jerk: :burp:

Where did you buy the gear?

I don't think that second pic is really him??

Funny I was kinda wondering about that pic too...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/post-a74349-.html

Capturing a sharp pic of a motorcycle in motion isn't easy with a point and shoot. Either his missus is a skilled photographer using high end equipment, or it's a really lucky shot, or... :wai:

TWO MORE DAYS!!! :D:D:D

Just got the mrs to snap another pic :D

Did you buy the bike to match the togs or the togs to match the bike? :P :jerk: :burp:

Capturing a sharp pic of a motorcycle in motion isn't easy with a point and shoot. Either his missus is a skilled photographer using high end equipment, or it's a really lucky shot...

TWO MORE DAYS!!! :D:D:wai:

At the risk of sounding nasty (again) YOU B A S S T A R D! I expect lots of pics, esp the 1 wheeled variety! :o

Capturing a sharp pic of a motorcycle in motion isn't easy with a point and shoot. Either his missus is a skilled photographer using high end equipment, or it's a really lucky shot...

TWO MORE DAYS!!! :D:D:wai:

At the risk of sounding nasty (again) YOU B A S S T A R D! I expect lots of pics, esp the 1 wheeled variety! :o

LOL Neverdie! Well, I'm going to pick it up in the am and do the hard break-in on Wednesday with an oil and filter change in the afternoon. I noticed on the test ride that it's REAL easy to lift the front wheel. I'll post pics just as soon as I can. Probably ride up to the Lopburi Bike Week this coming weekend. Happy Trails!!!

No worries NormanW I am a Rayong guy but bought from Mitoyont they will reg it in Rayong for you, no problems.

Cheers Bard

Cheers Bard, I live in Pattaya, but work in Rayong.

Would like the plates the same as my car, don't ask me why hahaha.

I am so jealous.

Did anyone book one on finance yet? Or do I have to dig deep and get the full amount over here? (I am a poor working teacher so 225000 is a lot of money here for me).

It looks nice, that orange colour. The ZX12R I had a few years ago were blue, now I think that the ER6 I am going to buy will be black.

I can almost not wait, I just hope that I will not be sad or dissappointed. I really want this ER6.

Don't worry snowflake, there are other poor teachers here.

Just got to save save save!

Living the dream!

Norman W

Shame shame INTJ. Just because you live in Thailand doesn't mean it's ok to copy and plagiarize :D:wai::o

Unless your missus works for the UK Telegraph? :D

No big deal to just post the pic but why pretend your wife took it? Illegal perhaps, but usually no one gets their panties in a bunch unless it's done for commercial gain.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motorb...vibrations.html

Great review by the way :D

Happy Trails!

Archived