Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

Picked up my new toy today. Wonderful, love it already. Plenty of torque, which suits me. Just turn your wrist and you have passed the traffic. Much more nimble than the BMW K100 I had in the old country years ago.

The Kawasaki shop here in CM received only 5 bikes and they have all been sold.

Chris

Good on you Chris....Your bike looks hot! (Almost matches the tiles :o ). What bike are you hiding in the background....looks like you have a collection going.

LOL- what's next? D-tracker? KLX? KSR? (For me I'm thinking about getting a little KSR to play around on- plus I know my son would love it!)

That's the Ninja 250R - My driveway is starting to look like a regular Kawasaki showroom :D

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Picked up my new toy today. Wonderful, love it already. Plenty of torque, which suits me. Just turn your wrist and you have passed the traffic. Much more nimble than the BMW K100 I had in the old country years ago.

The Kawasaki shop here in CM received only 5 bikes and they have all been sold.

Chris

Good on you Chris....Your bike looks hot! (Almost matches the tiles :D ). What bike are you hiding in the background....looks like you have a collection going.

That's the Ninja 250R - My driveway is starting to look like a regular Kawasaki showroom :D

So many toys....so little time. GOOD ON YOU !!! :o

When I dropped off my Ninjette at Kawa-Rama 9 today for service, I went into the showroom and there was a high-level Kawa-Thailand Exec there. He really perked up when I started talking about the ER6-F. He said that they did a survey and 80% of Farang want the ER6-N and exactly the opposite (80% Thai) want the ER6-F. Then he said to keep an eye on Kawa stand at the Bangkok motorshow to have an idea what may change in the line-up later this year (wink) ... I'm hoping to see the ER6-F there.

When I dropped off my Ninjette at Kawa-Rama 9 today for service, I went into the showroom and there was a high-level Kawa-Thailand Exec there. He really perked up when I started talking about the ER6-F. He said that they did a survey and 80% of Farang want the ER6-N and exactly the opposite (80% Thai) want the ER6-F. Then he said to keep an eye on Kawa stand at the Bangkok motorshow to have an idea what may change in the line-up later this year (wink) ... I'm hoping to see the ER6-F there.

Well I hope they arnt going to sacrafise the er6n for the F, are they? Call him now PLEASE!

The ER-6f is coming!

kawasaki_er6f_2009.jpg

I'd not heard anything from Kawasaki to lead me to believe that the ER-6f would replace the ER-6n. Kawasaki plans to offer both in Thailand before the end of the year. The ER-6f will be a bit higher in price.

2009ER6f.jpg

Boy wouldn't that Green Machine look nice parked next to my ER-6n... :D:D:o

Hi Tony, I'm getting about 200 KM per tank. I don't ride too fast, not above 120KPH. The Ninja got almost double that. Is your bike quite loud? I like it but it can scare some people a bit at traffic lights if you twist the throttle. It gets you noticed on the secret soi.

Let me know how you get on with the screen as I could do with that. Also if you find out about removing the awful huge plastic thing at the back.

I get the same, around 200 km from full to the "FUEL" indicator, the reserve will allow about another 65 km I guess. My Ninja gives me about 300 km from full to the light coming on.

The ER6N uses about 50% more fuel with my riding.

Hi Tony, I'm getting about 200 KM per tank. I don't ride too fast, not above 120KPH. The Ninja got almost double that. Is your bike quite loud? I like it but it can scare some people a bit at traffic lights if you twist the throttle. It gets you noticed on the secret soi.

Let me know how you get on with the screen as I could do with that. Also if you find out about removing the awful huge plastic thing at the back.

I get the same, around 200 km from full to the "FUEL" indicator, the reserve will allow about another 65 km I guess. My Ninja gives me about 300 km from full to the light coming on.

The ER6N uses about 50% more fuel with my riding.

50% more fuel and 100% more fun!!! :o:D:D

The ER-6f is coming!

kawasaki_er6f_2009.jpg

I'd not heard anything from Kawasaki to lead me to believe that the ER-6f would replace the ER-6n. Kawasaki plans to offer both in Thailand before the end of the year. The ER-6f will be a bit higher in price.

2009ER6f.jpg

Boy wouldn't that Green Machine look nice parked next to my ER-6n... :D:D:o

Wow ... that's such a hot bike. :D

Removal of the tail piece on the ER-6n

Hi all! Thought you might like to see what the ER-6n looks like with that big ugly tail piece removed:

er6nTailModSm.jpg

Very easy, no cutting and completely reversible. It's kinda like Kawasaki knew that people would want to remove this piece, but had to include it to make the bike road legal. :o

er6nTailMod1Sm.jpg

I'm going to have some flush mount LED turn signals installed where the old tail piece was bolted on. Piece of cake since there are already mounting points, so once again, no cutting and easy to return to stock form at any time. I'm still trying to brainstorm a way to hang the license plate... I think hanging it from the center hole might be not be solid enough. I'm reluctant to cut any holes in the underside but I think that may be the way to go, then I can easily attach the plate directly to the frame with a couple of 10 baht brackets.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Soon.. Its been a 2 month ordeal to get hold of this bike.. Had it now for almost 3 weeks and it should be in my name any day.. I have held off on starting any work as 1) I wanted the security of it being in my name before I bought bits and 2) once I start it seems it wont be changing name again in this province.. Itching to get MX bars on and rip the fairings off.. Already have someone all lined up and ready to start a frame up rebuild, new ballraces, paint and powdercoat etc..

Awaiting strip down and rebuild.

3204607379_f427330283.jpg

3205451568_a22c15f1ea.jpg

Bandit.. Had an offer by some Thai boys to buy it just for the book and frame before christmas, they ended up going awol and that isnt looking like its on the cards now (course they wouldnt every actually say that, it was yes yes yes).. And I have been side tracked with the Blade mentally too.. 95% sure that will just get sorted to sell but its not my no 1 priority..

Removal of the tail piece on the ER-6n

Hi all! Thought you might like to see what the ER-6n looks like with that big ugly tail piece removed:

er6nTailModSm.jpg

Very easy, no cutting and completely reversible. It's kinda like Kawasaki knew that people would want to remove this piece, but had to include it to make the bike road legal. :o

er6nTailMod1Sm.jpg

I'm going to have some flush mount LED turn signals installed where the old tail piece was bolted on. Piece of cake since there are already mounting points, so once again, no cutting and easy to return to stock form at any time. I'm still trying to brainstorm a way to hang the license plate... I think hanging it from the center hole might be not be solid enough. I'm reluctant to cut any holes in the underside but I think that may be the way to go, then I can easily attach the plate directly to the frame with a couple of 10 baht brackets.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Great stuff Tony, any chance of a side view?

I would fix the number plate on that flat plastic centre piece like they do with those small mini scramble bikes you see around Pattaya.

Can it be done?

It would be nice to get a hugger the same material as that grey plastic strip under each side of the tank. Or even carbon fibre?

NormanW

Edited by NormanW

Great stuff Tony, any chance of a side view?

I would fix the number plate on that flat plastic centre piece like they do with those small mini scramble bikes you see around Pattaya.

Can it be done?

It would be nice to get a hugger the same material as that grey plastic strip under each side of the tank. Or even carbon fibre?

NormanW

Cheers Norman-

Actually, if you look closely you'll see that the 2009 ER-6n does have a tire hugger: (the previous ER-6n didn't have a hugger)

er6nTailModSm.jpg

The hugger is short and is part of the chain guard. I quite like it, though of course it'd be even nicer in carbon :D:D

Eventually I'd like to upsize the rear tire from 160 to 180 and I 'think' it will fit. The tightest spot is going to be the clearance with the stock exhaust. One more reason to get an aftermarket pipe! :o

I'd have to trim down the license plate quite a bit to get it to fit under the bike forward of the tire. I imagine mounting a plate like that is just inviting hassles with the BiB... No- I still think under the taillight, with a little angle and some LED plate holders would be the best solution.

Anyone else made any mods to their ER-6n yet? Post your pics and Happy Trails!

Tony

3204607379_f427330283.jpg

3205451568_a22c15f1ea.jpg

Lookin' Good LivinLOS! :o What year is that? Except for the can it looks real clean. I've always been a big fan of CBRs, though I think you're little lady is going to miss the cushy pillion of the Bandit. The pillion on your CBR looks like a real butt buster! :D

Hope we can hook up for another ride before the rainy season!

Happy Trails,

Tony

'Once again I over paid' yer right.......................................................don't forget ya still looking for one for me especially if the phuket lot are getting mod happy. there might be some cheap bikes down there soon.

Allan

Its a 95.. But its not real clean.. Its a project bike.. Once again I over paid :o !!

Has a crazy wall of power.. More than I am used to, gonna need to really take my time feeling this machine out a bit.

Ah well- you can never spend to much on something you love! Power indeed- a whole different ball game from your Bandit 400. Glad to hear you've got the right mindset cuz I've seen too many guys jump on a 900, grab a fistful of throttle, and... SPLAT!

Can't wait to see her once you've got her all cleaned up and street fightered.

Keep us posted, ride safe, and happy trails!

ER-6F looks like any other bike to me, ER-6n is *hot*. I can only imagine though what happens when the whole big bike thing breaks through in the Thai middle class. It will be huge, guaranteed.

Went to the CM dealer to do a run on the parking lot, enough to convince me to get one. I put it back after a minute so as to not get over-excited :o

The only thing I am going to miss is flying over the dirt road on the way home - the D-Tracker has way more clearance, pretty much double the ER-6n and so you can go over the huge pot holes *fast* which is also a lot of fun, actually. The crap dirt road has become a feature since I have the D-Tracker. On the ER-6n I'd have to go slow.

But for everything else, mainly street driving, that thing is just so awesome. The design is fantastic, she's a real beauty, and I am toally in love with the candy burnt orange. And the exhaust sound .... a w e s o m e.

I love this bike. Dealer said he'd give me 120K back for the D-Tracker so it's just 100k extra. Good deal eh? That means dealer depreciation of this bike was 10k BHT/month which is more than fair.

Also about the dealer by the moat - those guys are super friendly, not pushy but well they don't have to be with the ER-6n sitting around there, and very professional. They even gave me an english manual for the D-Tracker which I'd asked about when buying the bike but totally forgotten about. Compare with the Toyota dealer, it's like day and night even though I spent 10x more at Toyota.

Hi,

I have hit the 1000 km mark and the bike will have its first service tomorrow.

Is the general consensus that it is OK to thrash the bike from this point on ? I've gone pretty easy on it so far, but I can't resist the urge much longer.............

Cheers

Hi INTJ,

IMHO speed up the rev step by step waiting the 2000 kms to play full would be the good way... But in the same time give some short high revs from time to time without heavy loads... And never stay in high revs on long runs for the moment...

Be patient... and you will be rewarded!

Well, it's my 2 satangs advice (and at least it's what I think good to do on new bikes)...

Cheers,

Gobs

Hi,

I have hit the 1000 km mark and the bike will have its first service tomorrow.

Is the general consensus that it is OK to thrash the bike from this point on ? I've gone pretty easy on it so far, but I can't resist the urge much longer.............

Bravo!

If you've broken her in gently I say now it's time to thrash the bitch! :o After all, she comes with a 2 year unlimited warranty. A hooligan bike like the ER-6n does not like to be ridden gently. Party On! boff.gif(just my two satang) :D

Hi Guys!

Anyone thinking about fitting a touring case on their ER-6n? Check out the Givi case I had installed today:

020509GiviInstall5Sm.jpg

I'm quite happy with it. As far as I can tell it's a genuine Givi case-

020509GiviInstall4Sm.jpg

Looked up this model on the internet and seems to match the description:

Givi E350 - Flow - MONOLOCK® Top Case

With a capacity of 35 liters, this Monolock topcase is equipped with the new Monolock automatic opening/closing system.

The dimensions of the Givi E350 are:

19"L x 16.5"W x 12"H.

It is available in matt black, gloss black, gloss silver, gloss candy red and gloss blue. Accessories for the E350 Flow include an integrated stop light and a backrest pad.

The case looks well made, came with an owners manual, etc

I think it might be an older model which might account for the very cheap price- only 3500 Baht!

The shop custom built a rack for the case and it's very nicely done and extremely solid:

020509GiviInstallSm.jpg

The custom rack is anchored to the frame at EIGHT points making it very strong. I get the impression that the "real" Givi rack for the 2009 ER-6n might only be attached at four points, but it's hard to tell for sure from the picture on the Givi site:

2009ER6nGivi1.jpg

A picture from underneath-

020509GiviInstall1Sm.jpg

Once I receive my plate it will be very easy to attach a holder to the brackets under the rear fender.

020509GiviInstall3Sm.jpg

The missus saw the cute little Givi backrest and just had to have it. Hope she doesn't get too comfy back there :o

So, all in all I'm very happy with this case. It's very well designed. One button to open, and another to remove from the bike.

Total cost, for those interested, came out to just over 8000 Baht. (Price was a little higher than I said in an earlier post due to the addition of the Givi Backrest (850 Baht) and upgrading to a case with a light (+400 Baht)

Anyone interested in getting a case from this shop feel free to send me a PM for details.

Happy Trails!

Tony