Honda Cbr Vs. Nsr

CanInBKK

I'm looking into making a purchase and have come across these two bikes. From what I can discern the CBR is 4-stroke and the NSR is 2-stroke; but really what does that mean? I understand the principles of 2 or 4 piston strokes per spark ignition, but when referring to these two bikes what does it translate to when riding?

Specifically: power, noise, fuel economy and ease of maintenance.

Thanks!

2 strokes are fast,smelly and addictive do not get otherwise you will end up like Thann, who will be along soon to give a complete run down on 2 strokes, go Thann go.

heeeeheheheheehehehee

BUT if i could get a NSR250 OR TZR250 in good condition at the right price then i would...yummy

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

for 2 strokes you have to use a 2 stroke injection oil that mixes with the gasoline.

4 strokes dont need the 2 stroke oil injection oil

i just bought a used cbr after riding a fsx a few years back (same as nsr)...the nsr is tempting to go full throttle and peek it out if your a speed freak.

the cbr is surprisingly not to far off from the nsr except for in extremely hard acceleration or to go balls out full throttle, cbr is less tempting to go full throttle (safer)....gear shifting and downshift drag is surprisingly similiar.

the cbr is from what i can conceive so far a pretty good bike in stock form....but you can tell that it has room to be modified to be stronger.

the acceleration from the nsr will be 'crisper'...while the acceleration from the cbr will be more blunt.

basicly with a 2 stroke you get the feeling of wanting to climb....with a 4 stroke you get the feeling of wanting to cruise.

imo

My first bike in Thailand, 8-9 years ago was an NSR 150sp, it was a great bike. Fantastic as long as you keep the revs high, if your not sure what the difference between a 2 and 4 stroke is I think you should test ride both. they are very different bikes and both have their good and bad points. I wont repeat what others have already posted but the NSR 150 SP would be a hel_l of a lot more fun. I have owned both so I think i can give a valid opinion.

I have owned the following bikes in Thailand NSR 150, CBR 150, Sonic 125, Wave 125, Dream 125, CBR 400, VFR 400, Bandit 400, Super four 400, CB 1300, GIXER 750, GIXER 1100, ZX12r, X4, WR 200 and VRX 400. My bestest bestest bikes were the NSR 150, GSXR 1100 and ZX12.

Just test ride em both at the shop, they will let you for sure, and take the one you like most.

Keep that bad boy sticky side down ok?

yep defo change the down pipe. there are some guys on cbr150club.com that sell some good downpipes for about 1300 baht, eakcbr i think the guys name is. if you ride hard then stay away fom the tsugki brand they aint so good had 2 break but they did weld up the 2nd one free. also if you ride in BKK or Pattaya stick with the original muffler not so many problems with police

oh also get rid of the SHIT,SHIT,SHIT IRC condoms sorry tyres. replace with dunlop gp900's or better still Michelin sporty radials these tyres are the dogs <deleted> and not to bad price wise at 2500 a pair (see cbr150 thread).

dont forget this bike can and will go OVER 140kmh so good tyres are a must.

Allan

as a fast, and dumbed down reply. A 'stroke' is everytime the piston moves up and down. A 'power stroke' is the stroke in which gasoline is injected into the cylinder and ignited by the spark plug, thus making power which is ultimately transferred to the wheel. On a 2 stroke, there is a power stroke every 2nd stroke. Essentially (and this is dumbed down for purposes of brevity) power stroke and exhaust stroke (cleans out burned out air and fuel). On a 4 stroke there is a power stroke every 4th stroke (there are more strokes to make it run cleaner and the additional strokes are for intake and to clear out the exhaust, etc.). A 2 stroke fires twice as many times as a 4 stroke, because there is a power stroke every 2nd stroke instead of every 4th stroke, on a 4 stroke motor. Thus a 2 stroke engine makes the same amount of power as a 4 stroke twice its size. For example a 2 stroke 2 cylinder, 500 cc engine makes approximately the same amount of power as a 4 cylinder 1000 cc 4 stroke engine. That is why in racing (such as motorcross) a 4 stroke engine is allowed to have twice the displacement of a 2 stroke engine it is competing against. Two strokes=faster, more power. They also pollute more because there are no additional strokes to clean up the emissions. They do need to have oil mixed in with the fuel (because there is no stroke for that), but on NSR's there is a resevoir which mixes it for you. You just have to keep it filled up. 2 strokes also are simpler in design, and cheaper to rebuild. For example, they do not have valves but use an expansion chamber. My vote is for the NSR, not just because it is faster than a CBR, but because the CBR150 is an ugly motorcycle IMHO.