Hotel W/reliable, High-speed Internet

rexall

Fri 19 Dec 08, 8:57 am

Hi all,

Some of you were kind enough to respond to my request awhile ago for suggestions for Bangers hotels with good internet access. I stayed at the Euro Grande, which I liked very much, and would highly recommend ... EXCEPT that the WiFi sucked; only 2 bars on the signal strength indicator. As I have to operate an Adobe platform chatroom, that was completely unacceptable, although I managed to pull it off . . . with a lot of hair pulling along the way.

It looks like I may be making the trip from KKC to Bangers for a couple of days each month. Anyway, what I am looking for today are FIRST-HAND, PERSONAL REPORTS : "Yes, I stayed at the XYZ Hotel, and the internet was great ....."

Here is what I need.

HOTEL or CONDO/SERVICED APT:

As close to 55th Plaza (55 Sukhumvit) as possible

Guaranteed, fast, reliable internet; WiFi or LAN.

1,000-2,000 bahtski per night.

Maybe have a generous early check-in policy.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions.

Aloha,

Rex

Rexall, high speed and reliable is a bit of an oxymoron. sometimes it one sometimes its the other. to get the two together constantly NO. You are sure to get one or the other but if your job, cash or life depended on it then no. I used to stay in the landmark with Mrs H2O when in BKK. A suite at 12,000 and internet, high speed, at 800 baht for the day and it was sometimes crap. I've hooked on to a wireless at some cheap bar or cafe and got great download speeds. Remember THIS IS THAILAND !!!!!!! :o

Rexall, high speed and reliable is a bit of an oxymoron. sometimes it one sometimes its the other. to get the two together constantly NO. You are sure to get one or the other but if your job, cash or life depended on it then no. I used to stay in the landmark with Mrs H2O when in BKK. A suite at 12,000 and internet, high speed, at 800 baht for the day and it was sometimes crap. I've hooked on to a wireless at some cheap bar or cafe and got great download speeds. Remember THIS IS THAILAND !!!!!!! :o

Sat 20 Dec 08, 7:11 am

Thanks for the info, H20.

Your report on the Landmark is good reconnaissance. Yes, we have heard that the upmarket places often have crap internet no matter how much they charge, and that smaller hotels are usually a better bet.

Allowing that internet speeds can be spotty, as you say, and agreed, This is Thailand, surely there is SOME ability to rate the internet service comparatively among places, even imperfectly. "XYZ Hotel "tends" to have faster and more reliable service than ABC Hotel because the three times I have stayed in each ...." ????

Aloha,

Rex

You don't go much to hotels?

Which hotel on earth would commit to "guaranteed fast" Internet?

That's not hospitality core business.

Personal experiences are worthless here. What if someone had good Internet connection while (he does not know that, there were only a handfull of guests using it) and someone who may say it was crap (he does not know why, it could be because there were 200 users in the establishment while he was staying).

In Tokyo where 100Mbps LAN cable and 20Mbps wifi are available for free in every and any hotel, regardless of room price, there is always a disclaimer: "This is best effort, no quarantee of quality or speed".

Then you want all that turned upside down in a 1000baht room?

Edited by think_too_mut

You don't go much to hotels?

Which hotel on earth would commit to "guaranteed fast" Internet?

That's not hospitality core business.

Personal experiences are worthless here. What if someone had good Internet connection while (he does not know that, there were only a handful of guests using it) and someone who may say it was crap (he does not know why, it could be because there were 200 users in the establishment while he was staying).

In Tokyo where 100Mbps LAN cable and 20Mbps wifi are available for free in every and any hotel, regardless of room price, there is always a disclaimer: "This is best effort, no quarantee of quality or speed".

Then you want all that turned upside down in a 1000baht room?

It sure would be nice to get some useful information rather than a lot of quibbling. If the internet I get form TOT at home is fast and reliable, then there is no reason why the same cannot, at least theoretically, be the same at a hotel. Besides, I think the objective of my question is perfect clear even though some "armchair lawyers" want to mince words: Which hotels have the best internet connection? While any information obviously has to be taken with a grain of salt, I submit that that is NOT an impossible question to answer.

As to 1,000 baht per night; I said 1,000-2,000. And besides, we have already established that room rates do NOT seem to be a factor one way or the other with respect to the quality of the internet. Size of the hotel and attitude-savvy of the management seem to be much more important.

Aloha,

Rex

Thanks, Think Too Mut! We have heard good things about the Grand President. It's on my short list. Although I don't think that LAN is necessarily superior to WiFi (or vice versa), it is nice to have the option.

Aloha,

Rex