'all In One' Printer Recomendations

jaideeguy

My canon is showing signs of crapping out on me and in all fairness it has outlasted other brands that I've had in the past.....HP [total crap], Lexmark [same-same] and Epsom [same].

They all seem to last a year then start going bonkers and you find that the replacement ink cartridges cost as much as a new machine, so you buy a new machine and contribute wastefullness of our culture.

I want a budget all in one [printer/scanner/coppier] that has easily refillable ink cartriges and userfriendliness and last but not least, reliability.

Any recomendations?????

I have a Canon MX 700 . It does everything I need and the ink cans I have been refilling at the local print shop.

The scanner works well for me and the copy function is good also. It has an Ethernet connection that I run to my wireless router and I print and scan from this to 2 PCs.

No jamming or any other issues to date although I do not use it heavily. Maybe 100 pages a month average

What do you print, and how frequently?

i.e. If you never print photos, you could find yourself better off with a laser-based machine, rather than an inkjet one (in the long term).

Lasers never have clogged nozzles from underuse, and toner cartridges tend to last a lot longer than ink cartridges.

They also print better on cheap paper.

The only real downsidea are they're not as good when printing photos (at least on high quality paper), and they cost more in the first place.

HP is good

Cannon X830 - is totally "crapy"!!!! ---once one of the inks is gone, U won't be able to use the "outgoing fax" feature (when it doesn't even need to use the ink!!)... :o

and somehow the "low ink indicator" always blip blip all the times----so I just gave it all up....for the new HP!!

Edited by teacup

The all in one type printer/scanners don't seem to differ all that much in quality/performance.

If you are not looking for perfect photo scanning they will all do. My personal favourite is HP.

Another way of looking at the problem could be to see what costs you would have to make in terms of ink/refill/cartridges.

Some brands are absolutely over the top with their prices for that kind of stuff.

See which one has the cheapest to offer, and take that into consideration too when buying.

The print head on my Canon shows a fault and a new one costs about 2,500 baht. I looked at new printers in the shop and bought an HP Deskjet F4280 that has a copier and a scanner for 2,500 baht. I am quite impressed with the copier, scanner and the quality of the printing. For that price, if I have a problem I can throw it away when the warranty is up and buy another.

ADDED - The black ink cartridge for the HP costs 550 baht and is supposed to print 200 pages. The little Canon ink tanks are VERY expensive as is the replacement print head. The Canon was also an expensive printer, if I remember, about 8,000 baht.

Edited by Gary A

I agree with Tigerbeer. Canon MP145 with external ink tanks. I've had it about a year now and it's fine for scanning, printing and copying. Tesco/Lotus Khon Kaen have it on sale at 1800 (without the external ink tanks) at the moment. No problems with it at all.

The Canon is also good for the print heads not drying out if you don't use it for a while. I gave up on a good Epson all-in-one because of that. If you didn't use it for three days the heads had dried out and had to be cleaned.

(edited to add second paragraph)

Edited by lungbing

I agree with Tigerbeer. Canon MP145 with external ink tanks.

I've been using one of these and have been impressed with everything except the cost of ink cartridges and the absence of a local dealer selling external kits...

Anyone got a webpage for an online vendor selling the external tanks? Preferable at 500 baht and not the ~2000 price range I see elsewhere.

Ta,

Mark...

Edited by markwhite