Saddam Kietyongyuth Bout In Thong Sala Yesterday

sbk

Surat Thani, Thailand--This country's hottest boxing prospect, the undefeated Saddam Kietyongyuth will defend his WBC-ABCO lightweight title today against Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov of Kazakhstan in what is expected to be a pier 6 brawl near the port area of the world-class island paradise named Phangan here.

Yeshmagambetov is best known as the last fighter to ever knock down the now legendary Manny Pacquiao in their 2003 battle at the Luneta park in Manila.

Saddam (16-0, 12 KO's), no doubt the most popular fighter in Thailand even if he has yet to win a world crown, is hoping a victory over Yeshmagambetov will move him closer to a unification bout with OPBF champ Randy Suico to erase doubts on who is the best lightweight in Asia outside of the Pacman himself.

Both Saddam and Yeshmagambetov easily made weight at yesterday's weigh-in held at the Thai International Hospital here.

Saddam's handler, promoter Daniel Potter, has indicated that he is willing to promote a fight between his ward and Suico in the Philippines or in Thailand. However, Potter is also open to the idea of bringing Saddam to the United States for further training, and possibly get a fight for his power-punching warrior.

The 25-year-old Saddam, who had more than 200 Muay Thai fights before turning pro, also indicated that he hopes to be tapped as a sparmate for Manny Pacquiao, who will be preparing for a May 2 bout with the hugely-popular Ricky Hatton.

"I want to spar with Manny. I know I will learn a lot from him, and I hope to be useful in his preparation for his next fight," Saddam said in fluent English, admitting that Pacquiao's victories has inspired him to work even harder.

"If Saddam continues to win, we hope to make him the Manny Pacquiao of Thailand. He just needs to put in the needed work," said Potter.

MORE THAILAND NOTES. Yeshmagambetov has extended his belated birthday greetings to his former conqueror Manny Pacquiao, whom he calls an idol. As proof of his deep pride in having fought the Pacman, until now he continues to have a video of the fight in his mobile phone, and proudly shows it to friends and acquaintances. "I feel special because I knocked down Manny Pacquiao. That was the day I knocked down the boxing god," said Yeshmagambetov, who was beaten by Pacquiao in the fifth round. He arrived in Thailand on the day Pacquiao celebrated his 30th birthday in Gensan...

saddam.with.handlers.280w.jpg

Photo: Thai boxing sensation Saddam Kietyongyuth with his promoter/manager Daniel Potter (leftmost) and members of Team Saddam.

Source: http://philboxing.com/news/story-21254.html

Update:

KOH PANGAN, Thailand (AP) — Saddam Kietyongyuth, Thailand, stopped Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov, Kazakhstan, 5, to retain the WBC Asian Boxing Council lightweight title.

Source: IHT

Actually, all the Thais on the island knew about it. It was also televised on national tv.

As for how, the Sor Jor negotiated to bring it to Koh Phangan.

so? :o And then why didn't you? And don't agree with you, my girlfriend's family (many generations) on mom's side is from there and mom and dad live there now with the family and they did not hear about it.

But again, also. That was not my point, who cares if many Thais heard about it, if even they did, my point is WHY KPNG for a world title prize fight AND WHY was it not publicized? Again, the point of prize fighting is the "prize"...why have a world title prize fight onl a non-world class island without even publicizing it to the extent that many Thais, even on KPNG and non-Thais even on the large island of Samui next door who would hear about it with the drop of hat and maybe even go spend "prize" money to watch...? :D ....AH, GUESS TIT :D

Many fighters choose to fight in their own back yard , even when a much bigger purse is available elsewhere.

Its mainly about the winning , not the purse, though the purse is extremely important.

Ask anybody who has done it.

Cheers

Wow, thaierless, you really need to tone down your attitude. how the heck should I know? If you are so connected why don't you ask around for yourself?

As for not being publicized, well there were several trucks driving around for a few days announcing the fight, I had heard of it but don't actually enjoy boxing so did not go.

And just out of curiosity, do you think they'd get more from tv rights than from the few hundred thais who would attend?

good lord, I didn't realise sbk was personally responsible to keep you, your gf & her parents social calendar updated thairless or in charge of where fights are held within the kingdom.

Your aggressive posting attitude will not be allowed here so tone it down seveal notches before posting again.

Surat Thani, Thailand--This country's hottest boxing prospect, the undefeated Saddam Kietyongyuth will defend his WBC-ABCO lightweight title today against Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov of Kazakhstan in what is expected to be a pier 6 brawl near the port area of the world-class island paradise named Phangan here.

Yeshmagambetov is best known as the last fighter to ever knock down the now legendary Manny Pacquiao in their 2003 battle at the Luneta park in Manila.

Saddam (16-0, 12 KO's), no doubt the most popular fighter in Thailand even if he has yet to win a world crown, is hoping a victory over Yeshmagambetov will move him closer to a unification bout with OPBF champ Randy Suico to erase doubts on who is the best lightweight in Asia outside of the Pacman himself.

Both Saddam and Yeshmagambetov easily made weight at yesterday's weigh-in held at the Thai International Hospital here.

Saddam's handler, promoter Daniel Potter, has indicated that he is willing to promote a fight between his ward and Suico in the Philippines or in Thailand. However, Potter is also open to the idea of bringing Saddam to the United States for further training, and possibly get a fight for his power-punching warrior.

The 25-year-old Saddam, who had more than 200 Muay Thai fights before turning pro, also indicated that he hopes to be tapped as a sparmate for Manny Pacquiao, who will be preparing for a May 2 bout with the hugely-popular Ricky Hatton.

"I want to spar with Manny. I know I will learn a lot from him, and I hope to be useful in his preparation for his next fight," Saddam said in fluent English, admitting that Pacquiao's victories has inspired him to work even harder.

"If Saddam continues to win, we hope to make him the Manny Pacquiao of Thailand. He just needs to put in the needed work," said Potter.

MORE THAILAND NOTES. Yeshmagambetov has extended his belated birthday greetings to his former conqueror Manny Pacquiao, whom he calls an idol. As proof of his deep pride in having fought the Pacman, until now he continues to have a video of the fight in his mobile phone, and proudly shows it to friends and acquaintances. "I feel special because I knocked down Manny Pacquiao. That was the day I knocked down the boxing god," said Yeshmagambetov, who was beaten by Pacquiao in the fifth round. He arrived in Thailand on the day Pacquiao celebrated his 30th birthday in Gensan...

saddam.with.handlers.280w.jpg

Photo: Thai boxing sensation Saddam Kietyongyuth with his promoter/manager Daniel Potter (leftmost) and members of Team Saddam.

Source: http://philboxing.com/news/story-21254.html

Update:

KOH PANGAN, Thailand (AP) — Saddam Kietyongyuth, Thailand, stopped Serikzhan Yeshmagambetov, Kazakhstan, 5, to retain the WBC Asian Boxing Council lightweight title.

Source: IHT

yes i was there cheering my mated saddam on. and i was please with the suprise of Titanium in the evening. all in all a good day out of samui

Actually, all the Thais on the island knew about it. It was also televised on national tv.

so? :o And then why didn't you? And don't agree with you, my girlfriend's family (many generations) on mom's side is from there and mom and dad live there now with the family and they did not hear about it.

But again, also. That was not my point, who cares if many Thais heard about it, if even they did, my point is WHY KPNG for a world title prize fight AND WHY was it not publicized? Again, the point of prize fighting is the "prize"...why have a world title prize fight onl a non-world class island without even publicizing it to the extent that many Thais, even on KPNG and non-Thais even on the large island of Samui next door who would hear about it with the drop of hat and maybe even go spend "prize" money to watch...? :D ....AH, GUESS TIT :D

stop complaining just annoyied cause u missed a free day out. sometimes u have to search for information. not just wait for it to come to u. if u turned on channel 7 u would have seen it. i was caught on tv by my bird scoffing my face with pork libe on channel 7

yu tit it was free to watch. if u are such a promoter why u not promote a fight. Are u a why bird Y ? u just asked why all the time. why was i born. why do i post pointless comments. why why why

• 1 month later...

Perhaps it would make more sense if I explained how boxing promotions work here in Thailand...

This was not a world title fight, it was for a regional title.

The city of Koh Phangan pays the promoter to bring the fight to the city. The sponsors also pay which is where the purses come from.

There were over a thousand people at the fight (which is quite good for a relatively small scale prizefight) and there was local publicity for the fight as well as publicity in the boxing community.

The vast majority of the time, boxing events are free to the public. The only time they are not is when they take place at an indoor stadium such as Lumpini or Huamark.

Saddam's promoter is indeed a farang, which is actually a good thing. He's 100% behind Saddam and the rest of his fighters and in the next year will be bringing a couple of the fighters to the US for training and to fight. Saddam will be one of them and he's waiting on Pacquiao's trainer to decide if he'll do as a sparring partner. If so, it would be a huge break for the Thai as world-class sparring is hard to come by here in Thailand.