Gary's Bar&restaurant In Presart,surin Province

Dave the Dude

Hi

Ventured a short distance out of Surin yesterday to the above location.

Coming across the main cross-roads towards Chong Chom, you turn right midway between the row of shops, then right again (back to point on the opposite direction and at the Highway24).

Its the first of 3 ferang bars before a tyre shop and wood yard(on the corner).

Gary has a suprisingly extensive minimart with many ferang goodies. Cannot remember the last time I saw wine gums! :o

The South African red wine in gallon boxes was delicious (1000b)

Pies/pasties are made on-site and look good too

My group had a good cross section of meals (Thai,Indian,Fish n Chips, Chicken Kiev) and ALL meals were very good and priced lower than I have grown accustomed too. :D

Gary was a good host and I would definetly recommend a visit out to Presart.

Only got the other bars to check out now :D

:D

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi

Coming across the main cross-roads towards Chong Chom, you turn right midway between the row of shops, then right again (back to point on the opposite direction and at the Highway24).

Gary has a suprisingly extensive minimart with many ferang goodies. Cannot remember the last time I saw wine gums! :o

My group had a good cross section of meals (Thai,Indian,Fish n Chips, Chicken Kiev) and ALL meals were very good and priced lower than I have grown accustomed too. :D

Gary supplies most of the surrounding bars /reasturants so you will get the stuff at source at his place, plus you can take away fozen pies, steak, curries etc and cook at home.

The pies, in my opinion, are the best I've had in Thailand. :D

I have to agree with the other posters that Gary's place (Staffords) in Prasat has some tasty food. I should know as I have a place right across the street from him and I just had dinner there 2 nights ago.

I met Gary last April when I drove down from Chiang Mai over the Songkran holiday to my place in Prasat. He is a friendly gentleman who has a clean establishment with great food and drinks. I would highly suggest that if you are in the area and want some farang food check it out. (Oh, BTW he has Thai food as well.) It is a convenience for me as I enjoy my western food on occasion and I am within walking distance. :o

Attached are a few maps that will hopefully get you in the right area...... enjoy!

post-46350-1229935263_thumb.jpg

post-46350-1229935270_thumb.jpg

THANX 4 ALL THE INFO !! YOU CAN BE SURE I WILL BE SEEING GARY SOON !!!

After reading these posts regarding Garys bar I felt that I must put my few penneth in ;-

My wife and I visited Prasat for the first time on the 4th Nov we went to Garrys bar for breakfast and although no other customers were there we had to wait 1 and 1/2 hours to be served after ordering, the food I must say was OK when it came. The next morming we went there again, and yet again had to wait over 1 hour for our breakfast after ordering.

That night 5th Nov. (Kings birthday) not knowing anywhere else to eat we again went to Garrys bar for dinner. Seeing other farangs there drinking beer I asked for a beer but was told in no uncertain terms by Garry that he would ony serve me soft drinks, sitting there for well over 2 hours many farang came in purched and drank beers, again I asked if I could have a beer as others were drinking I was told "these people are my regulars "

Do the farang bar owners not want visitors custom ? or is this just his (or wifes) bar ?

Sorry if I have upset some forum members by relaying my experiences with Prasat but that, I believe, is what a forum is for, to pass on and give members varying experiences.

Having said all that I must say that our stay at Leelawadee Gardens was excellant, the owner James was very hospitable, the room was very clean and the staff obliging, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a pleasent stay in Prasat.

THANX 4 ALL THE INFO !! YOU CAN BE SURE I WILL BE SEEING GARY SOON !!!

After reading these posts regarding Garys bar I felt that I must put my few penneth in ;-

My wife and I visited Prasat for the first time on the 4th Nov we went to Garrys bar for breakfast and although no other customers were there we had to wait 1 and 1/2 hours to be served after ordering, the food I must say was OK when it came. The next morming we went there again, and yet again had to wait over 1 hour for our breakfast after ordering.

That night 5th Nov. (Kings birthday) not knowing anywhere else to eat we again went to Garrys bar for dinner. Seeing other farangs there drinking beer I asked for a beer but was told in no uncertain terms by Garry that he would ony serve me soft drinks, sitting there for well over 2 hours many farang came in purched and drank beers, again I asked if I could have a beer as others were drinking I was told "these people are my regulars "

Do the farang bar owners not want visitors custom ? or is this just his (or wifes) bar ?

Sorry if I have upset some forum members by relaying my experiences with Prasat but that, I believe, is what a forum is for, to pass on and give members varying experiences.

Having said all that I must say that our stay at Leelawadee Gardens was excellant, the owner James was very hospitable, the room was very clean and the staff obliging, I would recommend it to anyone who wants a pleasent stay in Prasat.

Wow, waiting an hour and a half for some breakfast is a long time. Did you mention anything to him for this long wait? I personally know that I have eaten there (or had take out) about 6 or 7 times now. (The most recent a steak pie just last night that was great!) Each time but two I was served within 20 minutes. The two times that it took longer was probably due to other customers' orders were ahead of mine. Needless to say I was in no hurry so it didn't matter to me as I just sat back, enjoyed my drink, chatted with other customers, or read my email on my mobile.

I don't know why it may have taken so long for your breakfast to arrive, perhaps he was out gathering the eggs.. :o And as I know he does have customers locally that call in or stop by to place orders, picking them up later or else him/his wife delivering them. I am not trying to make excuses for him but if you were dissatisfied perhaps you should have said something. I tend to speak up at establishments when I feel the food or service is poor allowing them to redeem themselves if I intend on trying to go back again in the future. It's those ones that won't listen or make amends that I choose not to frequent again.

dingdongrb,

If you're mates with the chap, maybe suggest he comes on here unless he doesn't want anymore business.

As far as Gary being my friend, I would as I stated before call him more of a neighbor (while I am in Prasat) who runs a business that I frequent for good food (farang food that is) when I am staying at my place in Prasat. I do not know him well enough to call him my friend.

By the way, does it occur to you that not everyone comes online to TV or even use a computer? And yes, perhaps bad publicity will ward off some customers but I am sure it will not hurt his entire customer base as I see regulars in there when I go. Also as I stated I have been satisfied with the service, food, and pricing so I will not shy away until it does affect me. Can't I have an opinion on my personal experiences with this establishment? What is your personal experience? Have you even been in the town of Prasat or the providence of Surin?

You seem to bash me on another thread and now this one, are you stalking me? Is my avatar that good looking?

Keith, what you do not realise is that serving beer on a 'No beer ' day can lead to complications, so probably as with us we must vet the customers first. I do not forsee this problem any longer though, as you have given the powers to be a very good indication as to where they can find an establishment that bends their rules, so maybe the 'no beer' will be forced on everyone now. And beleive me the boys in blue do peruse this forum, looking for clues. As for the long wait for breakfast, you stated that you were the only customer, maybe you were the FIRST customer, then food must be defrozen, appliences warmed up, all which takes a little bit of time. I suggest if you want your food instantly, then I hear McDonalds do a pretty good instant breakfast :D that might suit you down to the ground. :o

Only been to Gary's twice - the first and the last time.

I called in with the wife one lunchtime about 4 months ago. For just rice and mix veg, and pie and chips we waited 50 minutes. Ok when it came but the wife was getting more than just a bit dispirited. And 35 bt for a small bottle of water was rather taking the piss!

May I suggest that those that know Gary well bring these delays to his notice and suggest the problem be sorted. I accept what Martin of FC says about first customers etc and defrosting, but a couple of minutes in a microwave is more than sufficient to defrost.

My experience and Keith's does not bode well for the future

I used to live in Prasat Muangmai (Surin) for about three years. Gary and his wife provide the best Farang food in that location and Harley's bar, next door, is a good place for a beer and a game of pool.

Gary is hosting a big party for Christmas today, and I wish him and all my mates in Prasat a very merry Christmas!

My experience and Keith's does not bode well for the future

Hi

Strange you two are BOTH newbies with less than 10 posts between you.

As for waiting 1 1/2 hours for a meal, well somethings wrong there for sure. :D

I cannot imagine any sane person just sitting back and waiting that long. And then going back to the same place a second (or third) time is just down right crazy.

As for not serving beer to certain customers on a 'non alcoholic' day, well maybe the ones supping beer were personal friends and not paying customers :o

I have visited the place a couple of times and I am happy to wait 1/2 hour for a meal worth waiting for! After all, whats the rush.

Dave

Dave;

Many things I agree with you. I was there tonight, and I thought the service was what I wanted. Gary came and asked my a number of times when I wanted the Soup, Main Course and of course the Pudding. After I said yes, I thing the maximum amount of time I waited was less than 5 minutes. Frankly the service was very good, considering the number of people there and the food was excellent.

If you were there tonight, I was sitting with Jamie from the Leelawaddie resort who is an advertiser here.

Dave;

Many things I agree with you. I was there tonight, and I thought the service was what I wanted. Gary came and asked my a number of times when I wanted the Soup, Main Course and of course the Pudding. After I said yes, I thing the maximum amount of time I waited was less than 5 minutes. Frankly the service was very good, considering the number of people there and the food was excellent.

If you were there tonight, I was sitting with Jamie from the Leelawaddie resort who is an advertiser here.

The chap for Leelawadee is called James, not Jamie.

Happy boxing day everyone!

Edited by Geekfreaklover

dingdongrb,

If you're mates with the chap, maybe suggest he comes on here unless he doesn't want anymore business.

As far as Gary being my friend, I would as I stated before call him more of a neighbor (while I am in Prasat) who runs a business that I frequent for good food (farang food that is) when I am staying at my place in Prasat. I do not know him well enough to call him my friend.

By the way, does it occur to you that not everyone comes online to TV or even use a computer? And yes, perhaps bad publicity will ward off some customers but I am sure it will not hurt his entire customer base as I see regulars in there when I go. Also as I stated I have been satisfied with the service, food, and pricing so I will not shy away until it does affect me. Can't I have an opinion on my personal experiences with this establishment? What is your personal experience? Have you even been in the town of Prasat or the providence of Surin?

You seem to bash me on another thread and now this one, are you stalking me? Is my avatar that good looking?

I guess that most people I know in business in this country or elsewhere not only use a computer but certainly look for methods to advertise their business. However, it is to each person whether they take advantage of the mediums available to them. I just thought that if you knew the guy etc.... no worries.

I have never been to his place but that is not surprising as I only heard about it in this thread the other day. I have been to Surin and somewhere else in the province.

I'm not stalking you. To be totally honest, I rarely look at who posts what, I just read it and make a comment if I want to.

Hi

I helped him register on TV yesterday, so hopefully he can explain more and give people the benifit of knowing what he bakes & sells.

Us 3 had another good meal yesterday including a very delicious Sunday Lunch (NZ Lamb)

Dave

I have read with interest some of the adverse comments about Gary's Bar and Restaurant!

I cannot agree with any of them but it takes all sorts to make up the Frang community in Thailand.

I buy the Excellent Range of Pies from Gary and have them sent down to Pattaya.

We knew before he moved to Surin how good his food was and his Pies are indeed the best I have tasted in Thailand and having lived here for 24 Years I have tried many.

Good Luck Gary for 2009 and beyond.

Hi

Only got the other bars to check out now :D

:D

Dave

Hi everyone ......... just had to add my penny's worth to this thread.

Gary has recently started to try and set up a farang service in the middle of practically nowhere. I was intro'd to him by my pal Ludo from TimeOut and I have eaten there and also filled my 2 freezers twice from him.

I lived in Pattaya and Jomtien for 5 years before moving down here and I can therefore say with considerable experience that Gary's supplies of various farang goodies, especially his home made stuff, is exceptional.

He is still trying to get his business up and running and continually trying to improve, which he really is putting effort into. However his overheads I am sure cannot be presently covered by local profit, as many of the local farangs don't know about his place, he therefore has to keep his costs down by trying to do things through just him and his wife.

I am not a friend of Gary, just a customer, but one who lives in the sticks and is grateful for someone like him to come along and try and add a little support to us local Isaan farangs. Give the guy a Godamm chance and once again as I posted in a similar thread on Buriram restaurants, don't be negative and dreary. If you have a problem, speak with Gary, I am positive he is open to suggestions.

DO NOT post negativity on someone who is currently just trying to set up a decent service, give the guy some support and then he may be able to employ extra staff to speed up your grub. Have a couple of beers while you wait in the meantime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Happy New Year guys

Hi everyone ......... just had to add my penny's worth to this thread.

Gary has recently started to try and set up a farang service in the middle of practically nowhere. I was intro'd to him by my pal Ludo from TimeOut and I have eaten there and also filled my 2 freezers twice from him.

I lived in Pattaya and Jomtien for 5 years before moving down here and I can therefore say with considerable experience that Gary's supplies of various farang goodies, especially his home made stuff, is exceptional.

He is still trying to get his business up and running and continually trying to improve, which he really is putting effort into. However his overheads I am sure cannot be presently covered by local profit, as many of the local farangs don't know about his place, he therefore has to keep his costs down by trying to do things through just him and his wife.

I am not a friend of Gary, just a customer, but one who lives in the sticks and is grateful for someone like him to come along and try and add a little support to us local Isaan farangs. Give the guy a Godamm chance and once again as I posted in a similar thread on Buriram restaurants, don't be negative and dreary. If you have a problem, speak with Gary, I am positive he is open to suggestions.

DO NOT post negativity on someone who is currently just trying to set up a decent service, give the guy some support and then he may be able to employ extra staff to speed up your grub. Have a couple of beers while you wait in the meantime!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o Happy New Year guys

Well said RayBan..... I have high suspicions that the two unfavorable posts were from either competitors that see just how well Gary runs his business or perhaps friends of someone that does run a similar business. It seems to me that it is very unlikely that it took 1 and 1/2 hours for a breakfast to arrive to one's table with having no other customer's on the premises. I have been here now for two weeks and have eaten at Gary's probably 5+ times during this visit and the longest it took my meal to arrive to my table after ordering was maybe, just maybe 15 or 20 minutes..... (But then again I was in no hurry and did not watch the clock.)

I'll be heading back to my main home in Chiang Mai early tomorrow morning but I do want to say that I was happy with meeting some of the local farangs around Prasat while I was here as they are all good people. I also wish Gary all the success with his business because I expect to eat more of his great cooking when I return during the Songkran holiday.... Cheers all and Happy New Year.

Well said RayBan..... I have high suspicions that the two unfavorable posts were from either competitors that see just how well Gary runs his business or perhaps friends of someone that does run a similar business.

I came to the same conclussion.

Like Ray & DingDong says, he is doing a good job and deserves support.

Happy New Year

Dave

Well said RayBan..... I have high suspicions that the two unfavorable posts were from either competitors that see just how well Gary runs his business or perhaps friends of someone that does run a similar business.

I came to the same conclussion.

Like Ray & DingDong says, he is doing a good job and deserves support.

Happy New Year

Dave

Am not sure. Having lived in the Prasat area and knowing all the resturant / bar owners well, it seems that everyone gets along fine. No real compitition that I can see there. At least not any compitition that would stoop as low as too diss the place incognito on a public web forum.

:o

Edited by Geekfreaklover